Corneal ulcer is a wound on the surface of cornea. This is generally acquired because of secondary cause like eye infection, eye allergy, dry eyes or any trauma or injury. The ulcer is of grey appearance and makes cornea hazy. Because of haziness, vision is blocked. The infection in the eye can be because of bacteria, virus or fungus. Long standing ulcer after healing leaves permanent mark on cornea. That condition of cornea is called as corneal opacity.
- Severe pain in eyes and headache
- Watering and redness
- Photophobia [difficulty to see in light]
- Reduced vision
- Thick discharge from the eyes
- Swollen eyes
Do's And Dont's
- Do not rub the eye
- Consult doctor immediately. Do not ignore the condition
- Avoid bright light
- Avoid use of mobile and screen ,Computer and T.V
- Aloevera paste wrapped in a gauge piece is to be kept over the closed eyes to reduce pain and redness
- Mild hot fomentation over the eyes can relieve the pain
Ayurvedic treatment of Corneal Ulcer
According to ayurveda this disease is an acquired disease and hence to be treated according to the symptoms. Wound healing drugs are selected for nethradhara and anjana. Jatimukuladi varti anjanam and Jatayadi gtm, Doorva ghrit in eyes are very effective. Target of treatment lies in earliest healing of wound so that the chances of scar formation can be minimized.