Glaucoma is a condition of eye disease that causes damage to the optic nerves. Optic nerves carry information from eye to the brain. A weakness of optic nerves directly affects the vision. In maximum cases, the optic nerve is damaged because of intra ocular pressure in the eyes. Increased pressure causes reduction of blood supply to the optic nerves and hence the optic atrophy.
- Open angle glaucoma
- Closed angle glaucoma
- Normal tension glaucoma
- Pain in eyes and headache
- Redness and watering
- Seeing colored haloes
- Progressive loss of vision
- Vomiting and nausea
Do's And Dont's
- Do pranayama regularly. It helps to control eye pressure
- Avoid bright light
- Minimize use of t.v. , computer, mobile phones
- Consult your doctor immediately if found sudden fall in vision
- Minimize salt intake
- Put sesame oil 3-4 drops in both nostrils daily morning empty stomach.
- Cotton soaked in rose water helps to remove strain and redness of eyes
- Put cow ghee 2 drops in both eyes to nourish optic nerves
Ayurvedic treatment of Glaucoma
All three doshascan get involved in this disease. It can important to clear the channels [srots shodhan] to dissolve kapha. This is to be done at 1st level. parallel, nourishing strength has to be given to optic nerves to prevent vision loss further. Nasya, nethradhara, thakradhara, anjana and virechana etc are done in a cumulative way to normalize eye pressure and to strengthen the optic nerves 3 weeks hospitalization is important to control the disease. There are chances of improvement in vision also if the vision is loss is partial and in initial stage.