10 Important Changes In Lifestyle While Searching Permanent Cure Of Dry Eyes
There are a number of steps you can take to reduce symptoms of dry eye syndrome and protect your eyes. Keeping yourself hydrated, changing your diet and considering environment factors can help in providing dry eye relief. Following are a few lifestyle changes that are beneficial in permanent cure of dry eyes :
- Blink Over and Over Again : While focusing on a visual task i.e. reading, driving or using a computer, people blink less than normal. It is imperative to make an effort to blink more often to provide some dry eye relief.
- Avoid Smoking : If you are a smoker, then must consult your doctor regarding ways you can quit smoking. Smoking can worsen the symptoms of dry eye.
- Treatment for Underlying Conditions : Dry eye is sometimes caused due to other underlying medical issues. By getting these disorders treated, you can easily find dry eye relief. Your eye doctor can help diagnose these conditions and offer treatment options.
- Proper Nutrition : Recent studies have shown that regular intake of omega-3 fatty acids that are commonly found in dark-fleshed fish i.e. salmon, herring, mackerel, anchovies, sardines etc can help decrease the symptoms of dry eye. Flaxseed oil is also a great source of these fatty acids. Limiting the intake of acidic foods such as tomato products, vinegar, and tamarind is advised to aggravate dry eye syndrome.
- Adjust to Harsh Environments : Smoke, wind, sun, heat and dust can also cause dry eye. You can use sunglasses outside to block these elements and save your eyes from irritation. When indoor, use air filter or humidifiers to remove dust and other irritants from the air. It is advisable to avoid fans and hair dryers.
- Consider Surrounding Environment : Desert areas can cause eye dryness. If you are spending your time in these environments, one thing that you can do to reduce the symptoms of dry eye syndrome is to close your eyes for a few seconds intermittently. It will keep your eyes well lubricated.
- Don't Allow Air Consistently Blow into Your Eyes : Keep air devices i.e. hair dryers, fans, car heaters and air conditions away from your eyes.
- Keep Yourself Hydrated : Dehydration can lead to dry eye, as your body will not be able to provide enough moisture to produce tears. Drinking water and other fluids can help restore moisture. You must take eight 8 oz. glasses of water a day, fruit and vegetable juices and milk. Be sure to avoid alcohol and caffeine.
- Try Good Eyelid and Eyelash Hygiene : It is important to try pre-moistened eyelid cleansers or baby shampoo to keep your eyelashes clean.
- Avoid Rubbing Your Eyes : It is advisable to refrain from rubbing your eyes as they can make dry eyes even worse.
Your overall health, our work environment, your home environment and your social activities are some of the important elements in analyzing and treating dry eye syndrome. You should follow above lifestyle changes to avoid dry eye complications.