Herbal And Ayurveda Treatment For Depression
What is Depression?
The neurological disorder, also known as Depression, is such a condition where a person loses all his interest over everything and becomes lethargy. In general, terms it is a sense of feeling low and sad for a few days. Some of the other times we undergo the situation of being low. However, it is different than being in depression. As in the case of depression, it is in continuation of say months and not just a few days.
Such a situation occurs when an individual fails a test or exam, loses his loved one, gets divorced or any other similar state. This disorder can last for many days or weeks or years. Depression is also known as Chittavsada in Ayurveda.
It is a belief that depression is a kind of trivial rather than not being a legitimate health condition. However, it is definitely a wrong perception. Depression is not an illusion but a reality and therefore calls for proper depression treatment. The best part here is that there is appropriate Ayurveda support and treatments available that can give you a complete recovery.
How to notify if you are having depression?
There are several ways by which this disease affects people and thus the symptoms vary. Few of them include hopelessness and sad feelings, lesser interest in things that you love doing previously, tearful feel, etc. Other than this, many people also have a feeling of anxiety.
If we see the physical symptoms of depression then sleeping badly, constantly tired, no appetite, various aches, etc. are the major ones.
However, the complexity and severity of the symptoms may be different from person to person. The range of symptoms lies between low spirits at its minimum and suicidal feel at its most.
Symptoms for Depression, in Brief, to Decide For Better Ayurvedic Treatment of Depression
Psychological symptoms :
- Continuous sadness
- Lesser self-esteem
- Guilt-ridden feeling
- Tearful feel
- Difficulties to reach any decision
- Suicidal thoughts
- No motivation
Physical symptoms :
- Speaking and moving slower than normal
- Variation in weight or appetite
- Lesser energy
- Irregular sleep
- Social Symptoms :
- Fall in work efficiency
- Being less involved in social events
- The difficult situation in family and home
Ayurvedic Treatment of Depression
Ayurvedic treatment of depression involves the use of many herbs. They are given below :
- Ashwagandha or Withania somnifera: This plant can decrease or remove the bad thoughts that occur in the brain. It clears the depression and strengthens the mind.
- Brahmi or Bacopa monnieri: It helps in mental relaxation. It is a kind of oil that has a soothing effect on the mind of an individual. The regular use of this oil relieves a person from the effects of depression. It is used in depression treatment in Ayurveda.
- Cardamom or Elattaria cardamomum: Its odor soothes the nerves of the brain. Tea is prepared to put some cardamom in it which affects the brain miraculously.
- Guggulu or Commiphora wightii: some chemicals known as v are found in it which strengthens the nervous conditions and therefore, it is beneficial in the ayurvedic treatment of depression
- Jatamansi or Nardostachys jatamansi: the depressing thoughts are removed with the help of this as it calms down the nerves of the brain.
- Turmeric or Curcuma longa: In the ayurvedic treatment of depression, turmeric is very used.
The ayurvedic treatment of depression includes taking treatment, medications or both. The selection of form is on the discretion of Ayurveda doctor who first examines your symptoms and thereafter recommends a suitable treatment.
Some other treatments of depression :
- Avoid heavy, spicy, hot food. Fresh vegetables and fluids are advised to the patients.
- Coffee and tea stimulate the nerves so, they should be taken occasionally.
Therapy for Depression
The stream of waterfalls on the center of the head of an individual which relieves the mind from negative thoughts. This is a very popular therapy known as Shirodhara. In another therapy abhyanga, oil massage is done which soothes the mind. Physicians advise the patient to perform yoga on a daily basis. Different types of Yoga are good in the ayurvedic treatment of depression.