13 Diabetic Retinopathy Prevention, Precautions & Lifestyle Changes
Created - 23 Oct 2018Last Modified - 10 Jun 2019
Itself treatment not only works for permanent cure of diabetic retinopathy. One should follow some precautions, diabetic retinopathy prevention measures and lifestyle changes to get an effective result from Ayurvedic treatment.
Permanent Cure of the disease is when symptoms does not come back. So to get rid of signs and symptoms of diabetic retinopathy, Adapt yourself according to nature.
There are a lot of precautions, preventions and lifestyle changes available for diabetic retinopathy that a patient should follow to avoid or to reduce the effects of the disease.
We will discuss here 13 diabetic retinopathy prevention and lifestyle changes to be adopted.
If seriously followed, significant improvements can be observed.
Diabetic Retinopathy Prevention & Lifestyle Changes
Some diabetic retinopathy prevention and lifestyle changes which can be followed by the patients along with ayurvedic treatment are -
- Control Diabetes - Important measures to control diabetes should be taken by the person affected from the disease, proper advise should be taken from the doctor to control diabetes and food products which are high in sugar content should not be used.
- Control Blood Sugar Levels - Blood sugar levels are the deciding factors of the severity of diabetes and diabetic retinopathy, blood sugar level should be regularly checked by the patient and required measures to control the sugar levels should be used.
- Control Cholesterol - Cholesterol level should be regularly checked and methods to keep it low should be followed. Increase in cholesterol level is an invitation to several diseases other than diabetic retinopathy.
- Control Blood Pressure - Blood pressure should be kept in control and should be checked regularly by the patient for diabetic retinopathy prevention. The patient should consult a doctor to find ways of controlling the blood pressure.
- Avoid Alcohol - Alcoholic drinks should be completely avoided by the patient as alcohol is harmful to the proper functioning of different organ systems such as the respiratory system and the circulatory system. A dysfunction in these system causes health-related complications like diabetic retinopathy.
- Avoid Tobacco - Tobacco products such as cigarettes, cigars, etc. should be completely avoided as they harm the visceral organs inside the body which results in diseases like diabetes and diabetic retinopathy.
- Consult Eye Specialist Regularly - A person suffering from diabetic retinopathy should consult an eye specialist regularly for the examination of the eyes and for the guidance in treating the disease. Regular checkups will also help in keeping a tab with the present condition and the necessary changes in the treatment could be made.
- Daily Exercise - A person should exercise daily to maintain a healthy body as by doing exercise a lot of things like cholesterol, blood sugar, blood pressure could be kept in control. Daily exercise is very much necessary for maintaining a healthy body.
- Avoid Bright Light -Bright light should be avoided by the person suffering from diabetic retinopathy as it could provide more harm to the retina of the eye. Direct rays of bright light should be avoided as much as possible to keep eyes safe.
- Antihypertensive Treatment - Hypertension is also a contributing factor of diabetic retinopathy so strong antihypertensive treatment measure should be practised for diabetic retinopathy prevention.
- Maintain Weight According to BMI - Weight should be kept in control and the patient should try to keep it according to the body mass index. A daily exercise routine, yoga, and healthy eating habits should be included in life to keep a healthy body and mind.
- Stop Eye Straining - Should immediately stop eye straining activities for diabetic retinopathy prevention such as watching television, sports, reading, smartphone and laptop use. These activities put a strain on eyes which affect the retina of the eye.
- Regularize Bowels - Bowels needs to be regularized to keep a healthy body preventing from diseases.