Dry eyes generally occur when your eyes don't produce tears or produce tears that can't keep your eyes moist. Tears are required to keep your eyes moist. They keep your eye surfaces smooth and prevent dryness to cause. Dry eyes can be very irritating or uncomfortable. This condition is serious and so must be treated with simple solutions.
Symptoms of Dry Eye Syndrome
When tears do not effectively lubricate the eye, a person can experience:
- Light sensitivity
- A rough sensation
- A sense of foreign material in the eye
- Blurring of vision
Common Causes of Dry Eyes
There are a number of causes why you might experience dry eyes. A few of them are highlighted as follows :
- Inadequate Production of Tears: In most cases, dry eyes occur due to the low production of tears. There are numerous reasons why you might not produce adequate tears. Some of them are old age, lack of vitamin A, other medical conditions i.e. diabetes, lupus, Sjogren’s syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, allergies, infections, or a thyroid disorder, damage to your tear glands from injury, inflammation, chemical burns, heat, or radiation, laser eye surgery. Dry eyes are generally a temporary side effect.
- Low-Quality Tears: Tears are a blend of water, oils, and mucus. In some cases, dry eyes occur due to disproportion in the components of this mixture.
- Medications: There are some drugs that may cause dry eyes including high blood pressure medication, decongestants, antihistamines, antidepressants, birth control pills, hormone replacement therapies, and few acne treatments
- Environmental Factors: In some cases, elements of your environment may lead to dry eyes which include wind, dry air, exposure to smoke, working at a desktop, driving, reading, riding a bicycle, or flying in an airplane. Long-term use of contact lenses, difficulty in blinking, swelling of your eyelids, etc is some of the other factors that may lead to dry eyes.
The condition of Dry Eyes is managed in Allopathy science by using lubricants or eye ointments. But this treatment can’t cure dry eye syndrome permanently. Ayurveda follows a different approach in treating dry eye syndrome. Generally, Ghee and Triphala ghrit are used in treating eye diseases. Ghee helps in regulating functions of eyelids, extraocular muscles, and tears. Thus, it reduces the dryness of the eyes, irritation, and inflammation occurring in the eyes. Drops of Triphala ghrit are infused into the eyes to treat dryness in the eyes. A gentle massage with Triphala ghrit over the eyes is also effective.
An Ayurvedic procedure i.e. ‘Netra-Tarpan’ offers incredible relief from dry eyes. It not only diminishes burning sensation but also provides nourishment to the eyes. Triphala ghrit is beneficial in strengthening the eyes. You can also take a spoonful of Triphala powder and add 1 glass of water to it and leave it overnight. Strain that liquid the next morning and wash the eyes with that liquid mixture. Ayurveda treatment for dry eyes is effective in treating this disease permanently and the patient will not need any lubricants or medications or eye drops further.
Changing your lifestyle is also important to cure dry eye syndrome. So, now using simple Ayurveda tips you can keep your eyes away from dryness and can add a shine to it.You find it Useful, Share This:
To Know more, talk to our doctor. Dial +91-8396919191