How Ayurveda & Panchakarma treatment work for dry eyes
Created - 27 May 2016Last Modified - 31 Dec 2019
Dry eyes occur due to decreased production of fluids from tear glands, which prevent tears from performing their practical functions and affect vision. When eyes become dry, they may lead to irritation. Ayurveda is an effective solution to treat several eye problems, including cataract, glaucoma, free of moisture eye syndrome, and macular deterioration. Ayurvedic treatment for dry eyes can cure this syndrome completely and there are many case studies available to witness this age-old holistic science.
The goals of Ayurveda treatment for Dry Eyes include correcting the vitiation of vata dosha in the body and in the eyes also, relieving the symptoms of dry eyes and correcting the digestive fire and encourage lubrication in the body.
Panchakarma treatment for eyes consists of following medications and procedures to provide your relief from dry eye syndrome :
- Nasya: It comprises of prescribed herbs and oil drops. It is an essential therapy while medicating the central nervous system. This panchakarma for eyes eliminates the dryness that occurs at the root of many respiratory and allergic conditions.
- Netradhara: This therapy is beneficial in treating computer vision syndrome and dry eyes. It is also effective in reducing the irritation caused to the eyes. The eye is washed with a filtered medicated decoction.
- Shirodhara: This therapy includes dropping of continuous stream of oil, milk or medicated buttermilk on the Third Eye for complete relaxation. Shirodhara is effective in panchakarma eye treatment.
- Snehapana: This therapy involves the consumption of a heavy dose of medicated ghee. Snehapana is given to the patient on the basis of digestive fire. The complete duration of snehapana is 3 to 7 days depending on an individual’s body nature.
- Virechana: After good lubrication of the body with ghee, Sneha virechana is given to the patient to eliminate the toxins of the body. In this condition, the patient gets loose motion for a day and thus, the desired detoxification of the whole body is attained.
- Tarpana: In this therapy, an oily substance is kept on the eyes for a specific period of time by developing the wall around the eyes with flour. This panchakarma eye treatment is perfect for degenerative disorders, Inflammatory and chronic disorders of the eyes.
- Lifestyle Modifications: ‘Early to bed and early to rise’ is the ideal quotation that can be applied to everyone who wishes to keep their eyes healthy. Dry eyes can be caused due to too much salt in the diet or lack of vitamins. If your eyes are dry, drink approx 12 ounces of water. Your eyes will get instant relief. In order to keep your eyes healthy, you can reduce the salt in your diet and stay hydrated. Be sure to increase the fatty acids in your diet. You can add omega-3s to your diet. It will eliminate dry eye syndrome by enhancing your tear production. Make sure that you eat enough Vitamin A, which can be acquired by eating plant foods i.e. vegetables and fruits. You should do regular yoga and pranayama and avoid using room heaters and air conditioners. Say good-bye to smoking and alcohol to reduce the symptoms of dry eyes.
So, Ayurveda is one of the effective medical systems which are beneficial to keep your eyes healthy. Considering the above Ayurveda solutions can prevent dry eye syndrome. So consult an Ayurvedic eye specialist for its complete cure.