Bell’s palsy is the paralysis of one side of the face due to weakness in facial nerve. Due to this, patient loses control over the motor functions of the face including blinking of eyes, chewing food from the affected side. It usually develops suddenly without any other sign or symptoms. The maximum weakness of face is attained within 48 hours of onset of disease. Although the exact cause of bell’s palsy is not known, some viruses are known to cause bell’s palsy.
- Weakness of one side of face
- Difficulty in blinking of eye
- Heaviness of face on affected side.
- Drooping of face and lips of the affected side.
Do’s and Don’ts
- Avoid chilled and refrigerated items for faster recovery.
- Do yoga and pranayama for nervous strength.
- Consult your doctor as soon as the symptoms appear. Timely treatment helps in fast recovery.
- Make paste of 10 gm garlic and mix 10 gm fresh butter in it. Take it daily morning empty stomach. This is a very good medicine for Bell ‘s palsy.
- Put 4 drops of sesame oil in both nostrils daily morning empty stomach to give nervous strength.
Ayurvedic treatment of Bell’s palsy
According to Ayurveda, this disease is termed as Ardita. This is a vata vitiated disease and hence the treatment is also aimed to correct the same. Nasya, shiro abhyanga, shirodhara or shirovasti are very important procedures to correct the disease. Oral medicines strengthen the nervous system. The disease can be cured successfully if diagnosed timely.