Diabetic retinopathy is a disease of eyes in which the blood vessels of Effective-Treatment-of-Diabetic-Retinopathyretina and vitreous become weak and fragile resulting in leakage inside retina and vitreous. This leakage inside the eyes directly blocks the vision. Sometimes there are minor leakages resulting in black spots or floaters in the field of vision. On the other hand, there can be heavy bleeding in retina or vitreous causing complete loss of vision. It is divided in three clinical stages
- Background diabetic retinopathy
- Non proliferative diabetic retinopathy
- Proliferative diabetic retinopathy
The severity of disease increases with the advancement of stage.
Diabetic retinopathy is seen in seen in almost every patient of uncontrolled blood sugar levels for a longer duration. The changes in the blood vessels are sometimes also seen in those with good control of blood sugar levels.
Do's And Dont's
- Rigid control of blood sugar level is mandatory.
- Avoid strained eye activities like watching tv, reading for longer durations and heavy exercise.
- Avoid bright light.
- Regularize bowels.
- Consult your doctor immediately if there is sharp loss of vision.
- Seeing floaters and black spots
- Progressive loss of vision.
- Pain in eyes.
- Watering and dryness of eyes.
- Sharp loss of vision can also occur in acute stages.
- Difficulty in color recognition.
- Apply paste of sandalwood over closed eye lids.
- Take amla and bottle guard juice daily morning empty stomach.
Ayurvedic View Point
According to Ayurveda, it is a vitiation of vata and pitta doshas. Blood being the site of pitta dosha is a major factor in this disease. Increased pitta level in blood causes its oozing from the blood vessels in retina and vitreous. Vata, being the controlling dosha and responsible for neurological connections, also gets disturbed because of pitta vitiation. The aim of Ayurvedic treatment for diabetic retinopathy is to pacify vata and pitta dosha.
Ayurvedic treatment for Diabetic Retinopathy
There are Ayurveda procedures like thakradhara, nethradhara, tharpanam and many others which are potent enough to provide strength in blood vessels of retina so that there will not be any further hemorrhage. Any leakage from the blood vessels also gets reabsorbed. The nourishing Ayurveda medicines provide strength to retina and optic nerves thus clearing the vision. For these procedures to be done, patient has to be hospitalized for a duration of 3 weeks under the supervision of an Ayurveda eye specialist.