|Ayurvedic Treatment||Conventional Treatment||Precautions, Lifestyle Changes||Home Remedies|
Glaucoma is a kind of eye disease that can even result in vision loss due to damage in optic nerves. Sometimes called the silent thief of sight, That so because,
Glaucoma can damage the vision so gradually that you don’t even notice any loss of vision until the disease is at an advanced stage.
Glaucoma can be prevented if it is diagnosed early but once it has affected a person then it is permanent.
Though it is said to be a progressive disease, it can be controlled with ayurvedic treatment and there are chances of recovering the lost vision in some cases.
It is said to be a major cause of blindness in people above 60 years of age. Early diagnosis and best ayurvedic treatment is the permanent solution.
What is Glaucoma?
Glaucoma is an eye disease that damages the optic nerve. It develops when fluid builds up in the front part of the eyes. The fluid then increases the pressure in eyes thus damaging the optic nerve. It can even cause vision loss in the affected person.
There are 2 main types of glaucoma :
- Open-angle Glaucoma– It is the most common type of glaucoma which develops gradually, a person suffering from it doesn’t feel any pain.
- Closed-angle Glaucoma – It is also known as angle-closure glaucoma and is a less common type of glaucoma disease and it may develop gradually or could occur suddenly. A patient may feel severe eye pain, blurred vision, redness in the eyes.
Glaucoma Causes and Risk Factors
Glaucoma is caused by the damage caused to the optic nerve of the eye, the high eye pressure is said to be the main causing factor.
There are several factors that have been linked with glaucoma such as:
- Poor blood flow to the optic nerve
- High blood pressure
- Genetics – People with a family history of glaucoma are at higher risk of the disease as compared to others.
- Ethnicity – Ethnicity also plays a role in the development of the disease as people from East Asia are more prone to glaucoma disease.
- Previous Diseases – Diseases like Cataract, Diabetes, and Tumour have been linked with secondary glaucoma.
- Certain Medications – Medicines such as corticosteroids are said to cause glaucoma.
Signs and Symptoms of Glaucoma
A person suffering from glaucoma shows many signs and symptoms of the disease which if identified earlier could lead to a fast and very effective glaucoma treatment.
Some of the common signs and symptoms a glaucoma patient shows are:
1. Open-angle glaucoma – An open-angle glaucoma patient doesn’t show any symptoms in the initial stages, but some symptoms can be seen in the final stages of the disease such as –
- Blind spots in the central or peripheral vision.
- Tunnel vision in the advanced stages.
2. Acute angle-closure glaucoma – Common symptoms under this type of glaucoma are –
- Redness of eyes
- Pain in the eyes
- Severe headaches
- Blurred vision
- Dilated pupil
Is it Possible to Cure Glaucoma Permanently?
Yes, it is possible to cure glaucoma permanently with the help of ayurvedic treatment.
Glaucoma is a progressive disease and once the vision lost under the glaucoma disease cannot be recovered but the success of Ayurveda in treating this dangerous disease is that it can stop the disease from expanding further and there are some chances of recovery of the lost vision.
So, glaucoma can be cured completely but the recovery of lost vision is not possible in every case.
Ayurvedic Treatment For Glaucoma
According to Ayurveda, all 3 doshas are involved in the formation of glaucoma disease or we can say all are responsible for high eye pressure in glaucoma.
Because of the causative factors, the toxicity starts accumulating in the body which blocks the fluid flow system of the eyes somewhere leading to the increase in eye pressure.
To treat a glaucoma patient the first step is to remove all the impurities. And then the process of dissolving the “Kapha” starts along with the nourishment of the optic nerves to prevent the eyes from further vision loss.
Panchakarma therapies are performed to reduce eye pressure naturally. A patient needs to be hospitalised in an ayurvedic eye hospital in the direct supervision of an ayurvedic eye specialist for 3 weeks.
After the completion of the glaucoma ayurvedic treatment process, the progression of glaucoma disease will surely stop and there are also chances of recovery in vision if the patient is in the early stages of glaucoma.
The major procedure done for the Ayurvedic treatment of glaucoma are as follows:
- Pindi and Vidalak
- Anjana and Aschyotana
Ayurveda is the only Glaucoma Natural Treatment that controls high eye pressure and has the chances of vision recovery.
Prakash Nethralaya providing best Glaucoma treatment in India and healing glaucoma naturally since years with panchakarma therapies and ayurvedic herbs for glaucoma.
We follow natural ways to lower eye pressure and provide ayurvedic medicines and eye drops for glaucoma to prevent progression. Also the patient is suggested to follow healthy dietary schedule and a positive lifestyle.
Conventional Glaucoma Treatment
The damage caused by high eye pressure in glaucoma is permanent and the vision loss can’t be recovered or reversed.
But there are medicines and other treatment options available under conventional treatment to stop the disease from spreading further. All treatment options are somewhat less effective and can cause side effects.
Methods to treat a glaucoma patient under conventional treatment are:
- Eye drops – In initial stages of the disease patients are given eye drops to treat the disease. These glaucoma disease eye drops will control the intraocular pressure and the patient can feel some sort of temporary relaxation and relief.
- Medications – There are many oral medicines available for the treatment of glaucoma, patients are given a few doses of oral medicines for a particular period of time to see the results.
- Surgeries – If a person doesn’t get any relief by the early mode of treatments, then the last option to treat the glaucoma disease is surgery. Different surgeries like Trabeculoplasty and Trabeculectomy are performed by doctors to treat the patients which in turn causes side effects.
A glaucoma patient should consult the doctor on a regular basis and should strictly follow the instructions of the doctor as it is a very dangerous eye disease and has the potential of making a patient blind if not treated on time.
Precautions and Lifestyle Changes
There is no preventive measure for the glaucoma disease, the only way to minimise the risk of being affected by a very serious and high level of glaucoma is the early detection of the disease.
If you observe any of the symptoms mentioned above in your body then you should immediately contact an eye doctor for glaucoma near you. If you experience any unwanted feeling such as pain, soreness, dryness, etc in the eyes you should contact an Ayurvedic eye specialist near you
One of the easiest ways to prevent yourself from the glaucoma disease or any other eye disease, you should regularly visit an reputed eye specialist in an Ayurvedic eye hospital to get an eye checkup.
Some healthy lifestyle changes which can be followed to minimise the risk of glaucoma disease are:
- Follow all the instructions of your doctor and plan your lifestyle according to the instructions of the doctor as much as possible. You should continue this kind of lifestyle till the disease is cured completely.
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet rich in vitamins for glaucoma.
- Stay away from electronic gadgets and use them as only for a limited period of time if only it is required.
- Perform yoga and do daily workout to maintain a healthy body and mind which in turn will help in your treatment process as according to Ayurveda everything in the body is linked with each other and condition of one body part has a big influence on other body parts.
- Drink adequate fluids like water, coconut water, buttermilk, fruit juices.
- Sleep with your head elevated to reduce pressure in the eyes.
Home Remedies For Glaucoma
There are some home remedies available for the treatment of a glaucoma patient but these home remedies should be used only in less serious cases or in a high emergency situation where no other modes of treatment are available.
The most important thing is that home remedies for glaucoma should not be used as a permanent solution for the glaucoma disease as it is a very serious disease which requires immediate expert attention and guidance.
Some common home remedies used are :
- Put sesame oil 3-4 drops in both nostrils daily morning empty stomach.
- Cotton soaked in rose water helps to remove strain and redness of eyes
- Put cow ghee 2 drops in both eyes to nourish optic nerves
- Practise meditation and techniques to relax mind as stress is also a contributing factor of glaucoma.
- Glaucoma is an eye disease that damages the optic nerve and it develops when fluid builds up in the front part of the eyes.
- Glaucoma is caused by the damage caused to the optic nerve of the eye and increased blood pressure and poor blood flow are one of the main causing factors of the disease.
- A glaucoma patient doesn’t show any signs in the initial stages in the open angle glaucoma but in the angle- closure glaucoma a person suffering from the disease will feel a severe headache, pain in the eyes and blurred vision.
- It is possible to cure glaucoma completely with the help of ayurvedic treatment and further vision loss can be prevented with some possibilities of improvement in vision.
- Conventional treatment of glaucoma uses medications, eye drops and surgeries in serious cases which causes side effects too.
- Early detection of the disease is the only preventive measure of glaucoma.
- Some home remedies such as meditation and putting sesame oil in nostrils could be used at home.