The neurological disorder, also known as Depression, is such a condition where a person looses all his interest over everything and becomes lethargic. Such situation occurs when an individual fails a test or exam, loses his loved one, gets divorced or any other similar state. This disorder can last for many days or weeks or years. Depression is also known as Chittavsada in Ayurveda.
Depression treatment in Ayurveda involves the use of many herbs. They are given below :
- Ashwagandha or Withania somnifera : This plant can decrease or remove the bad thoughts that occur in the brain. It clears the depression and strengthens the mind.
- Brahmi or Bacopa monnieri : It helps in mind relaxation. It is a kind of oil which has a soothing effect on the mind of an individual. The regular use of this oil relieves a person from the effects of depression. It is used in depression treatment in Ayurveda.
- Cardamom or Elattaria cardamomum : Its odor soothes the nerves of the brain. Tea is prepared putting some cardamom in it which affects the brain miraculously.
- Guggulu or Commiphora wightii : some chemicals known as v are found in it which strengthens the nervous conditions and therefore, it is beneficial in the treatment of depression.
- Jatamansi or Nardostachys jatamansi : the depressing thoughts are removed with the help of this as it calms down the nerves of the brain.
- Turmeric or Curcuma longa : In depression treatment in Ayurveda, turmeric is very used.
Some other treatments of depression :
- Avoid heavy, spicy, hot food. Fresh vegetables and fluids are advised to the patients.
- Coffee and tea stimulates the nerves so, they should be taken occasionally.
The stream of water falls on the center of the head of an individual which relieves the mind from negative thoughts. This is a very popular therapy known as Shirodhara. In another therapy abhyanga, oil massage is done which soothes the mind. Physicians advise the patient to perform yoga on a daily basis. Different types of Yoga are good in the depression treatment in Ayurveda.