What is Macular Degeneration?
Macular is the central part of eye at the back of the retina where the light falls. Macular degeneration causes inability to see in the straight line and hence a person suffering from it finds it difficult to do daily tasks like reading, driving etc. In this, the center of the visual field is unable to work properly, causing blurred or no vision in the center of the view field.
What Contributes To Macular Degeneration?
This problem can occur in many people but some people are more likely to have it than others.
- Aged people: This disease comes with age. As a person grows older, he or she is more likely to have it. People above the age of 50 are most likely to have it.
- Genetics: Another factor that might result in this disease is the genetics. If your ancestors had it, you are also likely to suffer from it.
- Smoking: People who are into the habit of smoking are more prone to early onset of this disease.
Macular Degeneration Symptoms and Signs
- Distorted vision
- Lack of contrast sensitivity
- Blurred vision
- Slow recovery once exposed to very bright light
- A sudden decrease in eyesight
Types of Macular Degeneration
There are 2 types of Macular Degeneration
- Dry macular degeneration occurs over time and does not have a cure. The only thing a person can do is learn to cope with it.
- Wet macular degeneration occurs at a rapid rate and that is why if a person is diagnosed with it, he or she needs to get treated immediately. It is much more serious than dry macular degradation.
Natural Treatment For Macular Degeneration
Modern medicine is still unable to find a treatment for this condition but ayurveda has many natural treatment for macular degeneration that they like to use for treating this condition.
- Virechana (Therapeutic purgation): This is a medicine that is prescribed to the patient once internal and external oleation and sudation are done. The main function of this drug is to remove toxins from the body and rectify doshas especially Pitta Dosha. This removal of pitta dosha is the priority natural treatment for macular degeneration.
- Nasya (Nasal medication): A medicated oil or juice of herbs is put inside the nostrils. It is done after the oleation and fomentation of the face and neck. The most commonly used oil for this purpose is Anu oil. Though there are many alternatives like powder of Vidanga, Karpasasthyadi taila, ghee, etc that can be used for this procedure.
- Netra Dhara(Eye wash): In this, a decoction is poured over the closed eye from the height of 4 fingers. This procedure is done in the daytime and Triphala decoction or herbal decoctions are used to do this natural treatment for macular degeneration.
- Anjana: It is a process in which medicine is applied from the inner canthus to the outer canthus. It is either done with a special rod or a finger and Vimalal Varti, Bhaskara churna etc. are few things that can be used for this procedure.
- Taila Shirodhara (used to treat dry macular degradation): In this, warm medicated oil is poured over the forehead in a rhythmic manner via a perforated pot.
- Takradhara (For wet macular degradation): The procedure is same as Taila Shirodhara but the oils that are used for this procedure vary.
Ayurvedic Herbs To Use In Natural Treatment For Macular Degeneration
- Triphala (Combination of three fruits)
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis
- Yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra
- Bhringaraj (Eclipta alba)
- Saptamrit lauh
- Amalaki Rasayana
- Triphala Ghrita