Uveitis is the inflammation of the inner tissue of eye called as uvea. Sometimes this inflammation does not reside up to uvea but also involves lens, retina and optic nerves. The inflammation slowly degenerates the tissue thus progressive loss of vision is reported and ultimately can also lead to blindness if not treated timely.
Causes Of Uveitis
- Auto immune disorders in which our immune system attacks our self. Some of the disease are ankylosying spondylitis, sarcoidosis, bechet's disese
- Due to a focus of infection in other organs of body
- Other inflammatory disorders like colitis or crohn's disease
- Some varieties of tumors can also cause inflammation in eye
Symptoms Of Uveitis
- Eye redness
- Decreased vision
- Blurred vision
Do's And Dont's In Uveitis
- Avoid bright light .use dark glasses while going in sunlight.
- Complete course of antibiotics are necessary so that the focus of infection should be eradicated.
- Consult with the doctor immediately if above symptoms are seen as immediate treatment will prevent the disease to progressive.
Home Remedies In Uveitis
- Make a paste of white sandalwood and apply over the eye lids to reduce burning of eyes
- A cotton piece soaked in rose water and applied over eyes also soothes the symptoms
- Make a bolus of half tsp turmeric powder and do mild hot fomentation over the closed eye lids to reduce pain
Ayurvedic treatment of Uveitis
According to ayurveda, it is a vitiation of vata and pitta dosha. This vitiation is because of a generalized pathology and not because of a local reason. Hence purification of body by panchkarma becomes mandatory to eradicate the disease permanently. There are many ayurveda medicines that are anti inflammatory in nature and provide relief for a longer duration. A course of approximate 3 weeks is required followed by oral medicines for a minimum of 6 months to a maximum of 1 year or sometimes more depending upon the patient's condition.