Ayurvedic Eye Treatment
Eye is the most beautiful gift of mother nature to mankind. All the valuables of this world are useless if one is deprived of vision. Thousands of pages of hundreds of books are written about the beauty of eyes. Today's stressed lifestyle has given rise to many dreadful diseases which are directly responsible for vision loss. Diabetic retinopathy, retinitis pigmentosa, macular degeneration, glaucoma, dry eyes and many others are increasing day by day. There is a specialized branch of Ayurvedic Ophthalmology in Ayurveda classics since ancient times. Ayurvedic eye treatment is getting popular nowadays. Ayurveda being holistic in nature, offers successful treatments for diseases of retina and nerves. Ayurvedic Therapies like Netradhara, Anjanam, Nasya, Shirodhara, Tharpana etc are done in a specialized way to get the best results.
As per the vedic knowledge of Ayurveda, there are 5 elements constituting the matter forming the perfect health of eyes. Earth (prithivi) controls the muscular component of the eye, fire (tejas) governs the vessels of blood, air (vayu) authorizes the color, water (apu) controls the white area, and space (akasha) organizes the tear ducts & channels. The eye is also administered by Alochaka Pitta, which is subdosha of Pitta which becomes less balanced as we grow in terms of age. That's why it's imperative to heed for your eyes during the entire course of life.
Ayurvedic Eye Treatment comprise of maintaining a balance of 3 doshas by many means. The major treatment procedures are Tharpana, Nethradhara, Anjanam, Aschotanam, Nasya, Virechana, Shirodhara, Shirovasti, Pindi and Vidalaka. Along with these procedures, Nourishing Ayurveda medicines strengthen the complete system of eye starting from cornea to lens , retina and optic nerves.
During this treatment procedure, a pool of mild warm oil is retained for particular time period over specific areas as per the conditions.
Is a process of pouring liquid form of medicine (usually kashayam) in to the inner canthus of eyes from a desired height for recommended number of times according to the condition..
Means application of liquid form of medicine as drops in to the eyes. It’s very helpful in treating some eye diseases.
It is the nasal administration of medications. It is a very effective therapy for all systemic disorders especially those related with the head and neck.
It is a purificatory procedure used in eliminating the vitiated humors in more quantity with less stress. It is very much effective in Jaundice, Skin disorders, Hemiplegia, Bronchial asthma and various eye disorders.
It the oral consumption of Sneham (oleos substances). Generally it is done with Ghrutham (medicated ghee). It is considered as a main procedure in treating severe disorders like infertility, psychiatric diseases and degenerative eye disorders of retina.
It is a process of pouring liquid type of medicine like thailam (medicated oil) or thakram (medicated buttermilk) constantly for a time period of 50-60 min on temple. It is supportive in curing nervous disorders, mental stress, anxiety, insomnia, migraine etc.
It is a procedure of retaining warm medicated oil (thailam) in a cap like structure fitted on head. Normally this procedure will be done for 35-50 min for a time period of 7 days maximum. This is considered as one of the furthermost treatment for head.
The habits to follow
- If you prefer to watch TV for a prolonged period of time then it could generate strain in the eyes and can cause myopia. It better to watch TV in periodic intervals and from a proper distance only.
- Ideal amount of light while reading or working is very essential. Stay away from excessive amount of bright light or chronic exposure to dim light.
- Always have proper amount of sleep. Follow the routine of rest as prescribed in Ayurveda.
Morning routine to follow
- Every morning upon waking fill your mouth with water and seize for a few seconds with closed eyes. Thereafter, spit it out & repeat for 2 to 3 times.
- Splatter your eyes and face with cold or lukewarm water for 10 to 15 times. Repeat the process again during the evening when you come back from work/ school.
Treatment through Yoga
Yoga plays a very pivotal role in strengthening the muscles of eyes and relieving stress. Some of the effective treatment measures through Yogic Eye Exercises are mentioned below :
- Pose Sukhasana with your legs contentedly crossed and your spine, neck and head in a line. Gaze straight to the front at eye-level and respire generally. This is the posture of readiness.
- Shift your eyes upward to the ceiling plus wait for 2 seconds. Glance downwards and settle for 2 seconds. Shut your eyes for tenure of 2 seconds. .
- Stare toward the right plane, till the distance your eye can see for 2 seconds. Gaze to the left hand side for 2 seconds. Now, glance back to the front again.
- Shut your eyes for a period of 6 to 8 seconds.
This concludes the round one. Initiate with 2 to 3 rounds and add up to 4 rounds.