What is Vamana karma?
Vaman is one of the five therapies of Ayurvedic Panchakarms. Vaman refers to therapeutic vomiting which is done through medicated emesis. This treatment is done to reduce aggravated kapha dosha and dislodges toxins from the respiratory and gastrointestinal tract. This is a therapy done for curative and preventive purposes. Vamana in Ayurveda believes that various seasons create a big influence on the aggravation of doshas forex. kapha increases in Hemant (spring season), Pitta aggravates in Sharada (winter season) and vata in Greeshma (summer season). So, anyone should adopt Vamana karma in Ayurveda for the spring season as it works as a preventive therapy to cure the disorders related to kapha.
First of all, it is followed by Snehan and Svedan, 3-4 glasses of saltwater of licorice are administered. After that nausea and vomiting are stimulated by the means of abrasion of the tongue.
Fomentation and oil massage are advised during the night ahead of the day of the Vamana Ayurveda treatment. The patients’ needs to have one cup of recommended oil twice or thrice a day in anticipation of the stool to become oily or by the time a patient feels revolted. You should also have a kaphagenic diet to intensify kapha within the system. This Vamana Ayurveda treatment is executed during the early hours when kapha is intent.
The Procedure of Vamana Karma
1. Vaman is executed to eliminate the excess of mucus from the gastrointestinal and respiratory tract which causes an excess of Kapha.
2. Pre. therapy Procedure: – Before executing vaman patient is given Kapha aggravating food like yogurt, sweets, basmati rice in the prior night. This is done to increase the kapha so that it gets eliminated forcefully from the system.
3. The next day, Vaman includes a drink using the drugs: madauphala, licorice, and calamus root tea is given. This drink triggers vomiting in the patient and it is continued by rubbing the tongue.
4. In this way, the patient expels the whole Kapha out and feels lighter and better after some time.
5. Post Therapy: The patient is given complete rest and light food. After vaman therapy, fasting is recommended because the whole system goes under heavy work.
Benefits of Vamana Karma
1. It gives the feeling of lightness in the chest after undergoing this therapy.
2. It makes you feel things more efficiently promote good voice and good appetite.
3. In the olden days, vamanwas gave to the person after the consumption of poison or food poisoning but nowadays it is followed by stomach wash in modern science.
4. The sinus is cleared which provides relief from congestion, breathlessness, and wheezing.
5. It provides great relief in Asthma and skin related problems like psoriasis.
6. It gives a reduction in weight and cholesterol and triglycerides.
7. It decreases CDL and serum cholesterol level as a part of its Kapha Hara action.
It gives great relief in pitta headache, dizziness, chronic cold, bronchitis, sinus and congestion kaphagenic asthma.
Not advised for (Preventions): – This treatment is not advised for children under the age of 12 and people above the age of 65. During menstruation, pregnancy and to sensitive and delicate people with great fear, anguish or anxiety, is also not recommended.