Everything You Need To Know About Age-Related Macular Degeneration
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is a disease of old age in which the macula becomes weak. The sharpest vision and the color vision comes from the macula.
- Seeing central black spots in the field of vision, distorted vision, dullness in the colors along with progressive painless loss of central vision are the major symptoms of Age-related macular degeneration. Prakash Nethralaya follows a holistic approach and provides effective relief in all these symptoms with Ayurvedic Age-Related Macular Degeneration Treatment.
- There is no specific reason for this eye disease. Degeneration of the retinal tissue due to increasing age is the only reason for the symptoms of AMD.
- AMD is of two types. The more common is the dry AMD and the other is wet AMD.
- In Dry AMD, there occurs deposition of fatty protein spots in the macula which are called drusens.
- In Wet AMD, the abnormal fragile blood vessels grow under the retina and blood leaks out of them resulting in a sharp loss of vision.
- The vision loss in dry AMD is slower than the wet type.
- An eye specialist diagnoses the disease by doing a comprehensive eye examination that includes visual acuity, dilated ophthalmoscopic examination, and OCT test.
- In Ayurvedic ophthalmology, AMD has been explained under the category of ‘Patalgata Vyadhi’ which covers all the retinal diseases together.
- Since the whole pathology of the disease revolves around the imbalance of Vata, Pitta, and Kapha, Ayurvedic treatment for AMD aims to correct the same. Once the desired lifestyle is adopted, the disease starts to heal.
- Dry AMD is an outcome of increased Vata dosha and the wet AMD is caused when Vata and Pitta are vitiated together.
- Ayurvedic Treatment for Age-Related Macular Degeneration involves the use of therapies like Netradhara, Nasya, Tharpana, Anjana, Virechana, and many others as per the requirement of the patient.
- The progressive loss of the vision can be certainly prevented, rather a good positive outcome is also seen in a good number of patients provided the desired approach of Ayurvedic treatment for AMD eye disease is adopted.
Symptoms of AMD
The wavy or distorted appearance of the straight line sentences while reading.
Seeing Blurred patches or black spots while reading a printed page.
Difficulty to differentiate the contrast of similar category colors.
Difficulty To Read
Feeling difficulty while reading in a low illumination or in dim light
Why To Choose Ayurveda?
Looks for the Root Cause
The ayurvedic approach of treatment looks for the root cause and not merely the symptoms. There are two ways of treatment; Shodhan, and Shaman. Shodhan is a complete detoxification of the body by Panchakarma therapies. Shaman is balancing the doshas by Ayurveda medicines, diet, and lifestyle changes. Medicines always work better in a patient who has been detoxified with Panchakarma.
Ayurveda medicines are processed in the most natural way and not in the synthetic and chemical form. This is for this reason that the medicines are soft on the body and there is no risk of side effects even if the patient requires to take the medicines for longer durations. The complete eradication of the root cause ensures the cure and prevents future health complications.
Ayurveda is not merely a medical science. Rather, it is a philosophical science too. The basic principles of Ayurveda consider an individual human a specific identity and hence his treatment. Ayurveda gives importance to the treatment of the patient rather than the treatment of the disease. Two patients of the same disease can have different treatments because of the difference in their body constitution.
Our Approach To Age-Related Macular Degeneration Treatment
Complete detoxification of the body and the eye is done by means of Panchakarma treatments. Virechan, Nasya, Netradhara, Kizhiswedan are used for this.
Improving the strength of the retinal tissue by means of Ayurveda therapies. Shirodhara, Nasya, Tharpana and Anjana are used with specified medicines.
Maintaining the strength of the retina by means of Ayurveda medicines. This is to be followed for longer durations at home along with suggested lifestyle changes.