Amblyopia is a developmental disease of generally one eye in which the co-ordination between the affected eye and the brain is not fully formed. It is generally diagnosed accidently in children during a routine eye exam or after seeing the symptoms of squint.
Anatomically talking, there is no pathology seen in any of the eye tissue starting from cornea to optic nerves. This is simply lack of performance of one eye over another without any pathology, hence called as lazy eye. This laziness can be well improved in children by various means put together.
This includes the wearing power glasses if they supports them, doing patching eye exercise, Ayurveda therapies like Tharpana, Annalepana, Netradhara, use of oral medicines and ayurvedic eye drops for Amblyopia.
If left untreated, the vision will be remained less permanently. Hence, all the measures should be done for timely diagnosis and all the efforts of proper treatment have to be done as time and age is a limitation in this disease.
What is Amblyopia?
Amblyopia, also known as lazy eye is a developmental eye disorder that affects the normal vision of a child. In this medical condition, one or both of the eyes of a child do not develop properly in early childhood. It occurs because of a lack of coordination between the eyes and the brain. It mostly affects children and young adults. It occurs mainly in a single eye and the quality of vision in one eye is way better than the other.
Causes of Amblyopia
The causes of amblyopia eye disease are formed in childhood, some of the main causes of amblyopia are:
- Genetic Causes - Amblyopia is generally seen in children since birth but it is diagnosed at a later age of 3-4 years. It can be diagnosed earlier also if there is a squint seen in the eyes.
- Poor alignment of the eyes - It restricts the proper functioning of the eyes.
- Shape of eyes - Differently shaped or irregular eye shapes interfere in focusing.
- One eye is nearsighted.
- One eye is farsighted - One eye is more farsighted and can see things more clearly in comparison to the other eye.
- Unable to focus on a single object with both eyes.
Signs and Symptoms of Amblyopia
It is very difficult to identify a child suffering from amblyopia. To identify lazy eye, you should take your child for the checkup. The vision in one eye is much stronger than the other and because of this; a person doesn’t realize that he is suffering from any vision loss.
Some of the common signs and symptoms of the amblyopia disease are:
- Poor visual acuity from one eye.
- Poor pattern recognition
- Poor judgment to contrast and motion.
- Seeing Squint in one eye.
- Focuses on the objects by tilting the neck.
Is it Possible to Cure Amblyopia Permanently?
Yes, it is possible to cure amblyopia permanently with the help of Ayurvedic treatment in India. If the patient approaches in an ayurvedic eye hospital below 7 years of age. There can be a good possibility of improvement even up to 15 years of age. It becomes difficult to improve the vision after 15 years. Amblyopia is treated with a holistic approach with ayurveda therapies, eye patching exercises and ayurvedic medicines.
Amblyopia Treatment in Ayurveda
Here are some effective ayurvedic therapies listed below for ayurvedic treatment of amblyopia or lazy eye:
- Annalepana over the eyes.
- Oil Abhyanga over the closed eyes.
- Kizhi Swedana over the eyes.
- Anjana & Aschyotana
In a few cases, the above therapies can be needed repeatedly at an interval of 6 months. The total duration of the ayurvedic amblyopia treatment in India is generally 1-2 years.
Home Remedies for Amblyopia (Lazy Eye)
Along with lazy eye ayurvedic treatment, some home remedies for amblyopia plays a crucial role in curing the disease.
- Eye Massage - Take 2 or 4 drops of clarified butter or almond oil over the fingertips and do mild massage over the closed eyelids. Pure cow ghee is more useful in comparison to other types of ghee.
- Triphala - Wash the eye with a decoction made from Triphala. The decoction should be filtered with cotton.
Lifestyle Changes and Preventions for Amblyopia
There are some useful precautions and lifestyle changes available to reduce the effects of amblyopia. By adopting these practices an amblyopia patient can assist the current amblyopia treatment.
The most effective preventive measures of amblyopia disease are:
- The most effective preventive measure of amblyopia is the early detection of the disease. By doing so, it becomes easy for the doctors to work on the eye and to improve the vision timely. In most cases, the disease develops in early childhood. So it is very necessary to detect the disease early and start the treatment for amblyopia as soon as possible.
- Avoid junk food and processed food products.
- Healthy and balanced diet - Take diet rich in vital nutrients (green vegetables and fruits).
- Avoid excessive use of gadgets like laptop, computer, smart phone etc.
- Include the use of clarified butter (pure ghee) in your diet.