Everything You Need To Know About Central Serous Retinopathy and it's Treatment
- Central Serous Retinopathy (CSR) is a condition in which serous fluid leaks under the retina causing pigment epithelial detachment (PED) which causes visual impairment. This is also known as Central Serous Chorioretinopathy (CSC or CSCR)
- CSR is seen generally in one eye but can appear in both the eyes at a later stage if the root cause of the disease is not removed.
- Mental stress, Use of tobacco, alcohol, and the use of corticosteroid medications, lack of sleep and wrong eating habits are the major known causes of central serous retinopathy.
- Men in an age group of 30-50 are more prone to get this disease.
- Distorted and blurred vision, eye pain, photophobia, difficulty in reading are the major symptoms of central serous retinopathy. Prakash Nethralaya follows a holistic approach and provides effective relief in all these symptoms with Ayurvedic Central Serous Retinopathy Treatment.
- This is a self-limiting disease and a person recovers himself without any medical help in mild attacks, but quick consultation can prevent the complications and ensures faster recovery.
- According to Ayurveda, the aggravation of Vata and Pitta doshas causes central serous retinopathy.
- Central serous retinopathy can be cured completely by Ayurveda medicines and by removing the root cause of the disease. A few recurrent cases may require natural detoxification treatment by Panchakarma therapies.
- Use of tobacco, alcohol, spicy, fried and fast food, and curd will aggravate the disease and should be avoided completely.
- Easily digestible food, fasting, vitamin C, morning yoga or walking, good and timely sleep will help to cure central serous retinopathy permanently and naturally.
Symptoms of Central Serous Retinopathy
The major symptom of central serous retinopathy is seeing the distorted lines while reading or while seeing on distant objects. The objects and faces appear distorted and twisted.
Sometimes, the patient complains of eye pain and headache along with the blurred vision. This can be due to increased eye and blood pressure in dew cases.
Why To Choose Ayurveda?
Looks for the Root Cause
The ayurvedic approach of treatment looks for the root cause and not merely the symptoms. There are two ways of treatment; Shodhan, and Shaman. Shodhan is a complete detoxification of the body by Panchakarma therapies. Shaman is balancing the doshas by Ayurveda medicines, diet, and lifestyle changes. Medicines always work better in a patient who has been detoxified with Panchakarma.
Ayurveda medicines are processed in the most natural way and not in the synthetic and chemical form. This is for this reason that the medicines are soft on the body and there is no risk of side effects even if the patient requires to take the medicines for longer durations. The complete eradication of the root cause ensures the cure and prevents future health complications.
Ayurveda is not merely a medical science. Rather, it is a philosophical science too. The basic principles of Ayurveda consider an individual human a specific identity and hence his treatment. Ayurveda gives importance to the treatment of the patient rather than the treatment of the disease. Two patients of the same disease can have different treatments because of the difference in their body constitution.
Our Approach To Central Serous Retinopathy Treatment
In patients, who are facing the problem for the first time, the disease can be treated at home by Ayurveda medicines, diet recommendations, and lifestyle changes. It is important to prevent the recurrence of the disease and hence the early start of the treatment can prevent vision loss.
In patients with multiple relapses, Ayurveda therapies are adopted for complete cellular detoxification of the body along with medicines, diet and lifestyle changes. Virechan, Thakradhara, and Netradhara are a few of the therapies that an Ayurvedic eye specialist chooses.
Frquently Asked Questions on Central Serous Retinopathy
In most cases, it doesn't cause blindness but it can cause permanent central vision loss if the fluid underneath the macula does not resolve.
No, glasses don't make any improvement in the central serous retinopathy treatment.
Stress is the major cause of central serous retinopathy along with other causes such as certain medications and age factors.
Central serous retinopathy treatment in Ayurveda is treated permanently with the help of ayurvedic medicines and panchakarma therapies.
It is often diagnosed by a simple examining process by the eye specialist or in some cases further, testing can be necessary such as angiography and optical coherence tomography (OCT) imaging.
It can last up to 12 months.
By avoiding harmful medicines, sunlight and leading a healthy lifestyle.
In most of the cases, it doesn't cause blindness but it can be very dangerous in some cases as it may cause permanent blindness if the fluid underneath the macula does not resolve.
It is possible to cure central serous retinopathy treatment in Ayurveda permanently with the help of ayurvedic medicines and panchakarma therapies.
It can be dangerous if proper treatment is not taken on time as it can lead to permanent loss of central vision.
Central serous retinopathy is sometimes known as central serous chorioretinopathy.
Consumption of alcohol and tobacco has many negative effects on the person affected by CSR and it increases the chances of disease in a healthy person.
Yes, if a person spends too much time on computers, laptops, smartphone screens then there are high chances of getting being affected by central serous retinopathy.
Yes, lack of sleep and irregular sleep patterns increases the chances of getting being affected by central serous retinopathy. People working in night shifts are at more risk of CSR as a person needs an adequate amount of sleep at night.
No, it usually affects only one eye at a time.