Cone Dystrophy is a group of rare eye diseases that affect the cone cells of the retina. Cone cells are those which helps us to see color and fine detail. The exact causes of cone dystrophy are still unknown but heredity and mutations are two factors considered responsible for this eye disorder.
If anyone is having problem in detailed vision and differentaiting between colors, then he/she might have cone rod dystrophy. Cone Dystrophy can be treated with Ayurvedic Treatment which includes Virechana, Netra Tharpana, Netra Vasti, etc. These ayurvedic therapies helps in clearing the vision in bright light.
In order to get rid of Cone Dystrophy, read below about Ayurvedic Treatment for Cone Dystrophy in detail.
What is Cone Dystrophy?
Cone dystrophy is a term used to describe a group of rare eye disorders that affect the cone cells of the retina. Cone cells are the type of cells present in the eye, which are responsible for the brightness factor for a person. It allows a person to see color and fine detail, and they work best in bright light. The cone dystrophies can cause a variety of symptoms related to vision such as decreased visual clarity when looking straight ahead, a reduced ability to see colors, and an increased sensitivity to light. Cone-rod dystrophy is estimated to affect 1 in 30,000 to 40,000 individuals. Cone dystrophy treatment in India is possible in Ayurveda.
Types of Cone Dystrophy
There are two main subtypes of cone dystrophy, called stationary cone dystrophy and progressive cone dystrophy.
- Stationary cone dystrophy - Its symptoms appear early in life and remain more or less stable. The stationary form of cone dystrophy is called achromatopsia, meaning vision which lacks color, even though not everyone with this condition is unable to see color.
- Progressive cone dystrophy - Its symptoms tend to get worse over time. Symptom severity and speed of onset can vary greatly from person to person. Various researchers use the term cone dystrophy for referring only to the progressive form of the conditions. The genetics controls the iodpsin pigment in the cones which helps protect them.
Diagnosis of Cone Dystrophy
The diagnosis of cone dystrophy is made based upon the presence of characteristic symptoms, a detailed family history, a thorough clinical evaluation and a number of supporting tests. While exams that measure visual acuity, perception of color, and field of vision are used to arrive at a proper diagnosis, an electroretinogram (ERG) is used to confirm the diagnosis.
Causes of Cone Dystrophy
The exact, underlying mechanisms that cause cone dystrophy are not fully understood, whereas Heredity and mutations prove to be the best-known causes which are as follows:
- Heredity - Some forms of cone dystrophy are inherited as an autosomal dominant, autosomal recessive or X-linked recessive trait. Inherited forms of cone dystrophy are due to various mutations to one of several different genes that are linked to cone dystrophy. Mutated genes in cone dystrophy can be inherited as an autosomal dominant, autosomal recessive or X-linked recessive trait. Genetic diseases are determined by the combination of genes for a particular trait that is on the chromosomes received from the father and the mother.
- Mutations - The abnormal gene can be inherited from either parent or can be the result of a new mutation (gene change) in the affected individual. X-linked recessive genetic disorders are conditions caused by an abnormal gene on the X chromosome. Less often, cone dystrophy may be inherited as an autosomal recessive trait. Recessive genetic disorders occur when an individual inherits the same abnormal gene for the same trait from each parent.
- However, Mutations in more than 30 genes are known to cause cone-rod dystrophy. Approximately 20 of these genes are associated with the form of cone-rod dystrophy that is inherited in an autosomal recessive pattern.
Symptoms of Cone Dystrophy
The symptoms of cone dystrophy may vary widely. The major symptoms of cone dystrophy are listed below:
- One of the main symptoms is photophobia (discomfort in bright light).
- Loss of detailed vision
- Difficulty in distinguishing colors and central sight loss.
- Symptoms remain the same in both eyes but the side vision is usually unaffected.
- Some people may develop rapid, uncontrolled eye movements or find that their eyes wander from a particular position.
Cone Dystrophy Treatment in Ayurveda
Cone dystrophy treatment in Ayurveda starts with the observation of disease and its cause according to ayurveda. Hence according to ayurveda, the cone dystrophy starts with vitiation of Pitta in eyes. In Ayurveda texts, it is defined as Pitta Vidagdha drushti.
Cone dystrophy treatment in ayurveda includes various therapies such as Virechana, thakradhara, Netra tarpana which helps in pacifying Pitta and to provide strength to vision. For proper cone dystrophy treatment in ayurveda, regular maintenance of disease is required with Panchakarma netra kriya therapies and Ayurveda medicines.
- Virechana - Virechana therapy is a purification therapy and one among the five healing therapies of Panchakarma. It is considered as the best cone dystrophy treatment in ayurveda.
- Netra Basti - This therapy is one of the best cone dystrophy treatment in Ayurveda, used to reduce eye strain and stress. The eyes are bathed to remove any congested secretion. A dough dam is built up around the eye and a warm medicated ghee is slowly poured into the dam, bringing peace and nourishment to the eyes.
- Netra Trapana - Netra Tarpana is used as a cone rod dystrophy treatment as both preventive and corrective treatment for maintaining the ordinary solid-state of eyes. A mixture made by gram flour is pasted around both the eyes, and the drug is poured onto it such that the drug does not spill from the batter which is set around the eyes.
Home Remedies for Cone Dystrophy
For cone rod dystrophy treatment, Some natural home remedies are as follows:
- Take 20-30 ml amla juice daily morning mixed with 1 tablespoon honey is a good antioxidant and it helps to prevent the progress of the disease.
- Intake of vitamin c rich food such as citrus fruits and leafy vegetables should be increased.
Lifestyle Changes for Cone Dystrophy
For cone rod dystrophy treatment, various preventive measures and lifestyle changes should be done by the patients:
- Avoid bright light
- Adopt a healthy lifestyle.
- Do regular yoga and pranayama.
- Vitamin A & C rich diets help to put a check on the progress of the disease.