The cornea of your eyes is the most important protective layer that keeps it safe and also allows light to enter the eyes. If it gets compromised or infected, the consequences can be drastic. Therefore, doctors suggest patients take corneal ulcer treatment without any delays.
What is a Corneal Ulcer?
A corneal ulcer is defined as a loss of corneal tissue, often associated with inflammation, and is also called ulcerative keratitis for the group of disease processes leading to corneal ulceration. A corneal ulcer is considered an open sore of the cornea which is due to epithelial inflammations. At the front of the eye is a clear layer of tissue called the cornea, through which light enters the eye. Most corneal ulcers are infectious, including bacterial and viral infections. Noninfectious ulcers may be due to chemical burns or autoimmune, toxic, neurotrophic, or various other causes. It is considered one of the most common global causes of irreversible blindness due to corneal diseases.
Initially, it is managed medically and if the treatment fails surgical interventions are considered. But as an alternative to this, corneal ulcer natural treatment is managed very well with the help of Ayurveda at Prakash Nethralaya.
Causes of Corneal Ulcer
There are a wide variety of corneal ulcers causes, including:
- The major corneal ulcer cause is infection majorly bacterial and viral ones.
- Water exposure to contact lenses is a major risk factor for Acanthamoeba bacterial infection.
- Viral infections are also possible for corneal ulcer causes. Such viruses include the herpes simplex virus (the virus that causes cold sores) or the varicella virus (the virus that causes chickenpox and shingles).
- Various disorders that affect the eyelid and prevent the eye from closing completely, such as Bell's palsy, can dry your cornea and make it more vulnerable to corneal ulcers.
- Chemical burns or other caustic solution splashes can injure the cornea and lead to corneal ulceration.
- People who wear daily-wear contact lenses are at an increased risk of corneal ulcers.
- Another cause of corneal ulcer is herpes simplex virus infection (ocular herpes), which can damage the exterior and sometimes even deeper layers of the eye's surface.
Symptoms of Corneal Ulcer
The major corneal ulcer symptoms are as follows:
- Redness of the eye
- Severe pain and soreness of the eye
- The feeling of having something in your eye
- Pus or other discharge
- Blurred vision
- Increased sensitivity to light
- Swelling of the eyelids
- A white spot on your cornea that you may or may not be able to see while looking in the mirror
- Inflammation of the eyelids
- A white or grey round spot on the cornea that is visible with the naked eye if the ulcer is large
Redness in Eyes
Pain in Eyes
Photosensitivity in Eyes
Corneal Ulcer Treatment and Diagnosis In Ayurveda
People with a corneal ulcer must visit an eye doctor as soon as they feel the symptoms. If the ulcer is related to an underlying systemic disorder, consultation with your primary care physician and/or a rheumatologist can be very helpful.
Ayurveda has an important role to play in infective eye diseases which needs to be explored scientifically. According to Ayurveda, this disease is an acquired disease and hence should be treated according to the symptoms. Various therapies are there for the natural corneal ulcer treatment in Ayurveda which includes – Netradhara, Anjanam, Virechana, and Nasya, etc. Wound healing drugs are selected for Nethradhara and Anjana. Jatimukuladi Varti Anjanam and Jatayadi Ghtitam, Doorva Ghrit in eyes are considered excellent for corneal ulcer management. The target of corneal ulcer treatment is the earliest healing of wounds so that the chances of scar formation can be minimized.
- Nethradhara – This corneal scar treatment or therapy is done for tired and problematic eyes, and nervous exhaustion, Nethradhara involves the use of natural coolants laced with Ayurvedic powders.
- Anjanam - It helps to expel the contaminations from the eyes, and influences it to clear and enhance vision. Gives a general cooling, invigorating and alleviating feeling to the eyes. This corneal scar treatment incorporates releasing of herbal medications to concentrate over the eyes.
- Virechana - Virechana therapy is a purification therapy and one among the five healing therapies of Panchakarma. It is considered the best natural corneal ulcer treatment in Ayurveda.
- Netra Tarpana - Netra Tarpana is used as cone dystrophy treatment as both preventive and corrective ayurvedic eye treatment for maintaining the ordinary solid-state of eyes. A mixture made of gram flour is pasted around both the eyes and drugs are poured onto it such that the drug does not spill from the batter which is set around the eyes.
- Eye Drops: Ayurvedic eye drops for corneal ulcers are a mixture of medicinal herbs that improve the overall health of the eyes and improve vision.
Our Approach To Corneal Ulcer Treatment
Prakash Nethralaya takes a holistic approach to corneal ulcers while keeping permanent rectification and lasting relief in focus. All therapies, medication, and lifestyle modifications used in this treatment are customized after checking the extent of ulcers, patient’s physiology, medical history and age. We have registered 99% accuracy in results and effect on patients.
Diet & Lifestyle Changes for Corneal Ulcer
The eyes are one of the most important organs in the body. Taking care of an eye is as important as our body. Various lifestyle changes to get rid of the corneal scar as follows:
- Habits like continuously staring at screens or monitors, which leads to the straining of eyes should be avoided or reduced.
- Ensuring proper lighting while using your eyes are some of the healthy lifestyle habits one should adopt.
- Sleep is also important to ensure eyes are maintained healthy and get rid of corneal scarring.
Success Stories of Corneal Ulcer Treatment
I came to Prakash Nethralaya after intense pain in my left eye for 5 days. I was diagnosed with a corneal ulcer and the treatment started on the very same day. The symptoms and pain subsided within a week and now it's been 3 weeks and my vision is getting back to its normal self with every passing day. Huge thanks to Dr Dinesh and his team for timely intervention and treatment.
Mine was a case of a Lasik surgery gone wrong. I strained my eyes due to work overload and the irritation and other symptoms started appearing shortly. Prakash Nethralaya proved to be a ray of light and hope for my painful situation and helped me restore my vision. I am still a work in progress but I am sure within 2-3 weeks I will be fit to get back to work.
Why To Choose Ayurveda?
Looks for the Root Cause
The ayurvedic approach of disease looks for the root cause and not merely the symptoms. Ayurveda offers two ways of treatment; One is Shodhan, and the other is Shaman. Shodhan is complete detoxification of the body by Panchakarma therapies. Shaman is balancing the doshas by Ayurveda medicines, diet, and lifestyle changes. Ayurveda medicines always work better in a patient detoxified with Panchakarma.
Ayurveda medicines are processed most naturally and not in the synthetic and chemical form. For this reason, the herbs are soft on the body, and there is no risk of side effects even if the patient requires to take them for longer durations. The complete eradication of the root cause ensures the cure and prevents future health complications.
Ayurveda is not merely a medical science. Instead, it is a philosophical science too. The basic principles of Ayurveda consider an individual human a specific identity and hence his treatment. Ayurveda gives importance to the treatment of the patient rather than the treatment of the disease. Two patients of the same disease can have different treatments because of the difference in their body constitution.