Everything You Need to Know About Diabetic Retinopathy and its Treatment
- Diabetic retinopathy is an eye disease caused by prolonged uncontrolled blood sugar levels. Diabetes damages the blood vessels of the retina. There occurs leakage of the blood inside the retina. This increased fluid and swelling of the retina cause complications in the functioning of the eye and results in progressive vision loss.
- A diabetic person with high cholesterol, high blood pressure, using tobacco and alcohol is more prone to develop the symptoms of diabetic retinopathy.
- Seeing floaters, black spots in the field of vision, colored halos, blurred vision, and progressive deterioration of vision are the main symptoms in a chronic diabetic patient.
- A sharp loss in vision is seen if there is leakage in the central part of the retina. This condition is called Diabetic Macular Edema.
- Diagnosis of Diabetic Retinopathy is confirmed by a thorough retinal examination and using a set of investigations.
- Non-proliferative (Initial) and Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy (Advanced) are the two clinical stages of the disease.
- Good control of cholesterol, blood pressure, blood sugar, Abstinence from tobacco & alcohol, and good digestion will help to delay the condition of Diabetic Retinopathy.
- According to Ayurveda, the imbalance of Vata, Pitta, and Kapha (all three doshas), are involved in the pathology of Diabetic Retinopathy.
- Ayurveda treatment can effectively prevent the recurrent leakages from the retinal blood vessels.
- Generally, repeated Panchakarma therapies like Netradhara, Lepa, Tharpana, and others are required to control and improve the condition.
- By doing Ayurvedic treatment, a patient of Diabetic Retinopathy can expect stabilization of the vision, slight improvement in vision, and that too without any invasive treatments like laser, injection, or surgery.
Factors and Symptoms of Diabetic Retinopathy
Chronic uncontrolled blood sugar levels
Seeing black spots in the field of vision
Sudden painless loss of vision
Photophobia (Sensitivity to face light)
Blurred vision & difficulty in reading
Our Approach To Diabetic Retinopathy Treatment
Ayurvedic Treatment for Diabetic Retinopathy
We at Prakash Nethralaya, find the exact dosha imbalance of the patient according to Ayurveda parameters. Strict diet and lifestyle changes are suggested to control the absolute blood sugar control. Ayurveda oral medicines help to calm down the Pitta and Kapha doshas of the whole body. Ayurveda Netra Kriya Kalpas and Panchakarma therapies pacify the doshas locally. Ayurveda Therapies like Netradhara, Tharpana, Thakradhara, Virechan, Anjana, and Aschyotana are very powerful therapeutic procedures that can heal the leaking blood vessels.
3 weeks of treatment at an Ayurvedic Eye Hospital followed by medicines for about a year stabilizes the condition. The blood clots can be reabsorbed and further retinal hemorrhages can be prevented. The nourishing Ayurveda medicines can strengthen the retina and optic nerves, clearing the vision.
Why To Choose Ayurveda?
Looks for the Root Cause
The ayurvedic approach of treatment looks for the root cause and not merely the symptoms. There are two ways of treatment; Shodhan, and Shaman. Shodhan is a complete detoxification of the body by Panchakarma therapies. Shaman is balancing the doshas by Ayurveda medicines, diet, and lifestyle changes. Medicines always work better in a patient who has been detoxified with Panchakarma.
Ayurveda medicines are processed in the most natural way and not in the synthetic and chemical form. This is for this reason that the medicines are soft on the body and there is no risk of side effects even if the patient requires to take the medicines for longer durations. The complete eradication of the root cause ensures the cure and prevents future health complications.
Ayurveda is not merely a medical science. Rather, it is a philosophical science too. The basic principles of Ayurveda consider an individual human a specific identity and hence his treatment. Ayurveda gives importance to the treatment of the patient rather than the treatment of the disease. Two patients of the same disease can have different treatments because of the difference in their body constitution.
Success Stories of Ayurveda
Thousands have experienced relief after treatment at Prakash Nethralaya
Get long-term relief from your problems.