All of us get infected by conjunctivitis at some point in our lives. It is a contagious disease that spreads with touch and close proximity to the patient. The best solution is to get it rectified on time and seek proper conjunctivitis treatment. If you are looking for a non-chemical cure, then Ayurvedic conjunctivitis treatment is the most viable option.
What is Conjunctivitis?
Also known as pink eye, conjunctivitis is an eye disease identified by swelling and inflammation of the conjunctiva. Conjunctiva is the inner surface of the eyelid and covers the outer area of the white part of the eyes.
In eye conjunctivitis, the eyes of the patient become pink and a little reddish. A person affected by conjunctivitis may feel a burning sensation and pain in the eyes. Swelling of the eye may occur and in some cases, a sticky discharge can also be observed from the eyes.
Generally, a person may feel scratchiness and itching in the affected eye, and in some severe cases, tears can also be seen inside the eyes.
Eye Conjunctivitis can affect one or both eyes. It is highly contagious and can easily spread from one person to another. In most cases, a person affected by eye conjunctivitis doesn’t need treatment, but if the condition does not improve within a few days then immediate conjunctivitis treatment is recommended.
Types of Conjunctivitis
There are 3 main types of eye conjunctivitis namely :
- Viral Conjunctivitis
- Bacterial Conjunctivitis
- Allergic Conjunctivitis
Causes of Conjunctivitis
4 Main causes of conjunctivitis are :
Above 4 are the basic causes of pink eye. Other less common causes of conjunctivitis are sexually transmitted diseases, reactive arthritis, relapsing polychondritis, Blepharitis, Acute glaucoma, Keratitis, Iritis, blocked tear duct in newborns, any foreign object in the eye and chemical causes. Out of all, viral conjunctivitis is the most common form of conjunctivitis.
Symptoms of Conjunctivitis
A person suffering from conjunctivitis can easily observe some symptoms of the disease after a few days. You must contact an eye specialist for early treatment. Identifying the symptoms of the disease early can make the recovery process fast.
Here are some pink eye symptoms to look upon :
- Swelling of the conjunctiva of the eye due to inflammation and rubbing of the eye.
- Water comes from the eyes frequently because of the overactivation of tear glands.
- Red eyes resulting from irritation in the eyes.
- Burning in the eyes
- Itching in the eyes
- Pain in the eyes
- Swollen eyes
- Blurry vision
- Sensitivity to light.
- Sticky discharge from the eyes resulting from mucus formation.
- Gritty sensation in the eyes.
- Shut your eyes in the morning.
Conjunctivitis treatment duration depends on its reason and state of disease. The symptoms may subside within a week or two with medicines and therapies. However, if you are looking for a permanent solution then you must take the full treatment that goes from 6 months to 1 year.
Ayurvedic Treatment of Conjunctivitis
It is possible to cure conjunctivitis permanently with the help of conjunctivitis treatment in Ayurveda.
Does Ayurveda have the answer on how to cure conjunctivitis?
A permanent cure for conjunctivitis is possible with Ayurveda. The Ayurvedic treatment of eye conjunctivitis finds a permanent cure of the disease by identifying the root cause of the disease and eliminating it. Various herbal medicines and Panchakarma therapies are used for natural conjunctivitis treatment under Ayurveda.
Ayurveda treats the problem in 2 ways:
- Ayurvedic medicines and lifestyle changes are used to cure mild symptoms of conjunctivitis.
- However, if the patient is getting infected again and again then stronger measures are needed. In that case, a longer treatment is needed that consists of medication, lifestyle changes, and Panchakarma therapies like VIrechan, Vaman, Kizhiswedan, Snehpaan, Netradhara, and Thakradhara.
Ayurvedic treatment doesn’t have any side effects on the treated patient and no returning signs of the disease can be seen after the conjunctivitis treatment in Ayurveda.
Ayurveda proves very beneficial in the treatment of eye conjunctivitis with its holistic approach as it nourishes every part and organ of the body by creating a balance between different dhatus and all three doshas.
Ayurvedic medicines and therapies strengthen the immunity of the body by removing all the impurities and establishing a balance between dhatus. After a few sessions, a person experiences permanent and complete relief in the eyes.
Patients with conjunctivitis are also advised to follow healthy lifestyle changes like yoga, a healthy and balanced diet, regular exercise, etc. which helps in assisting the treatment.
Home Remedies and Conjunctivitis Prevention
Please note that conjunctivitis Home Treatment should be used in less serious cases and an affected person should immediately consult an eye specialist in case of serious cases. There are some useful home remedies for pink eye available like -
- Warm compresses can be used for comforting the eyes.
- A wet cloth can be used to relieve the eyes. Make sure to use a clean cloth and wash it every time before using it.
- Eye drops for allergic conjunctivitis can be used for instant relief in the eyes.
- Painkillers can also be beneficial in emergency situations like acute pain in the eyes.
- If a person is affected by conjunctivitis in both eyes then a different cloth should be used for cleaning the eyes.
- Take a healthy diet and food products rich in vitamin C should be consumed more.
- Do hot fomentation over eyes with a bolus made with 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder as it will give a soothing feel to the affected eyes because turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties and is good for the skin.
- Apply aloe vera paste over closed eyelids and wipe it off after half-hour, aloe vera has skin-enriching properties.
Lifestyle Changes for Conjunctivitis
Taking some conjunctivitis precautions and adopting a few lifestyle changes can prevent the condition from getting worse and avoid its spreading.
- Good hygiene habits like washing hands every time after being in contact with something (after using the bathroom, before and after having food), especially anything which is contaminated.
- Keep a clean towel for daily use.
- Avoid rubbing eyes with dirty hands.
- Clean your contact lenses and consult your ophthalmologist for proper lens care before using them.
- Don’t share your personal things and don’t use other personal things (towel, handkerchief, eye makeup, etc).
- Avoid makeup during infections.
Signs and Symptoms of Eye Conjunctivitis
Swelling in the eyes
Irritation and Pain in the eyes
Why To Choose Ayurveda?
Looks for the Root Cause
The ayurvedic approach of disease looks for the root cause and not merely the symptoms. Ayurveda offers two ways of treatment; One is Shodhan, and the other is Shaman. Shodhan is complete detoxification of the body by Panchakarma therapies. Shaman is balancing the doshas by Ayurveda medicines, diet, and lifestyle changes. Ayurveda medicines always work better in a patient detoxified with Panchakarma.
Ayurveda medicines are processed most naturally and not in the synthetic and chemical form. For this reason, the herbs are soft on the body, and there is no risk of side effects even if the patient requires to take them for longer durations. The complete eradication of the root cause ensures the cure and prevents future health complications.
Ayurveda is not merely a medical science. Instead, it is a philosophical science too. The basic principles of Ayurveda consider an individual human a specific identity and hence his treatment. Ayurveda gives importance to the treatment of the patient rather than the treatment of the disease. Two patients of the same disease can have different treatments because of the difference in their body constitution.