What is Conjunctivitis?
Conjunctivitis is also known as pink eye.
Conjunctivitis is an eye disease identified by swelling and inflammation of the conjunctiva. Conjunctiva is the inner surface of the eyelid and covers the outer area of the white part of the eyes.
In eye conjunctivitis, the eyes of the patient become pink and a little reddish. A person affected from conjunctivitis may feel a burning sensation and pain in the eyes. Swelling of the eye may occur and in some cases, a sticky discharge can also be observed from the eyes.
Generally, a person may feel scratchiness and itching in the affected eye, and in some severe case, tears can also be seen inside the eyes.
Eye Conjunctivitis can affect one or both the eyes of a person. Conjunctivitis can be highly contagious and can easily spread from one person to another.
There are 3 main types of eye conjunctivitis namely :
- Viral Conjunctivitis
- Bacterial Conjunctivitis
- Allergic Conjunctivitis
In most of the cases a person affected by eye conjunctivitis does not need treatment, but if the condition does not improve within a few days then immediate conjunctivitis treatment is recommended.
Treatment for conjunctivitis can be initiated by properly diagnosing signs and symptoms of conjunctivitis, which we will discuss in section 3 below.
Conjunctivitis Causes and Risk Factors
4 Main causes of conjunctivitis are :
Above 4 are what causes pink eye. Other less common causes of conjunctivitis are sexually transmitted diseases, reactive arthritis, relapsing polychondritis, Blepharitis, Acute glaucoma, Keratitis, Iritis, blocked tear duct in newborns, any foreign object in the eye and chemical causes.
Viral conjunctivitis is the most common form of conjunctivitis.
Signs and Symptoms of Conjunctivitis
A person suffering from conjunctivitis can easily observe some symptoms of the disease after a few days.
You must contact an eye specialist for the early treatment. Identifying the symptoms of the disease early can make the recovery process fast.
Here are some pink eye symptoms to look upon :
- Swelling of the conjunctiva of the eye due to inflammation and rubbing of the eye.
- Water coming from eyes frequently because of overactivation of tear glands.
- Red eyes resulting from irritation in the eyes.
- Burning in the eyes
- Itching in the eyes
- pain in the eyes
- Swollen eyes
- Blurry vision
- Sensitivity to light
- Sticky discharge from the eyes resulting from mucus formation.
- Gritty sensation in the eyes.
- Shut eyes in the morning.
Allergic Conjunctivitis or pink eye can be treated within two weeks of the treatment and most of the symptoms go away after 10-12 days.
Is It Possible To Cure Conjunctivitis Permanently?
Yes, it is possible to cure conjunctivitis permanently with conjunctivitis natural treatment.
Ayurveda has the answer on how to cure conjunctivitis?
Permanent cure for conjunctivitis is easily possible through Ayurvedic treatment.
Ayurvedic conjunctivitis treatment finds a permanent cure of the disease by identifying the root cause of the disease and eliminating it. Ayurveda treatment cures conjunctivitis with the help of various ayurvedic medicines and ayurvedic therapies.
Ayurvedic treatment doesn’t have any side effects on the treated patient and no returning signs of the disease can be seen after the conjunctivitis natural treatment.
Ayurveda proves very beneficial in the treatment of conjunctivitis with its holistic approach as it nourishes every part and organ of the body by creating a balance between different
Conventional Conjunctivitis Treatment
The conventional treatment of conjunctivitis depends on the type of the disease -
- Viral Conjunctivitis Treatment - This type of conjunctivitis is usually treated by the body itself within 2-3 weeks. To get some relief, the patient can use a wet cloth on eyes and some cool compressors. If the condition does not get normal after 2 weeks then the patient should consult an eye specialist for the treatment. Viral conjunctivitis can be cured with some dosage of medications and with prescribed conjunctivitis eye drops.
- Bacterial Conjunctivitis Treatment - This eye conjunctivitis also recovers by its own after some time without treatment and in some serious cases it may last longer. In such cases, medicine for conjunctivitis in eyes such as antibiotic drugs is prescribed by the ophthalmologists.
- Allergic Conjunctivitis Treatment - This eye conjunctivitis is caused by various allergies, it is treated with prescribed eye drops for allergic conjunctivitis and some medications. Relief can be observed after a few days in most of the cases.
Conjunctivitis Natural Treatment
If we talk about permanent treatment, Ayurveda has permanent eye conjunctivitis natural treatment.
Natural treatment in Ayurveda strengthens the immunity of the body by removing all the impurities from the body and establishing a balance between dhatus. Ayurveda uses ayurvedic medicines and Ayurveda panchakarma therapies to treat the medical condition.
After a few sessions of the conjunctivitis natural treatment, a person can see complete relief in the eyes.
Ayurveda treatment advises following healthy lifestyle changes like yoga, healthy and balanced diet, regular exercise, etc. which helps in assisting the treatment. Ayurvedic natural treatment provides complete and permanent relief to the patient and that too without any side effects. Ayurveda is the best option available for conjunctivitis natural treatment.
Conjunctivitis Prevention, Precautions, and Lifestyle Changes
By taking some precautions and adopting healthy lifestyle changes a person suffering from conjunctivitis can prevent the condition from getting worse and can easily avoid other infections.
- Good hygiene habits like washing hands every time after being in contact with something (after using the bathroom, before and after having food), especially anything which is contaminated.
- Keep a clean towel for daily use.
- Avoid rubbing eyes with dirty hands.
- Clean your contact lenses and consult your ophthalmologist for proper lens care before using them.
- Don’t share your personal things and don’t use others personal things (towel, handkerchief, eye makeup, etc).
- Avoid makeup during infections.
Home Remedies For Conjunctivitis
Conjunctivitis Home Treatment should be used in less serious cases and an affected person should immediately consult an eye specialist in case of serious cases. There are some useful home remedies for pink eye available like -
- Warm compresses can be used for comforting the eyes.
- A wet cloth can be used for the relief of eyes, by putting them gently on eyelids. Use a clean cloth and wash it every time before using.
- Eye drops for allergic conjunctivitis can be used for instant relief in the eyes.
- Painkillers can also be beneficial in emergency situations like acute pain in the eyes.
- If a person is affected by conjunctivitis in both the eyes then a different cloth should be used for cleaning the eyes.
- Take a healthy diet and food products rich in vitamin C should be consumed more.
- Do hot fomentation over eyes with a bolus made with 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder as it will give a soothing feel to the affected eyes because turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties and is good for skin.
- Apply aloe vera paste over closed eyelids and wipe it off after half hour, aloe vera has skin-enriching properties.
Key Points On Conjunctivitis
- Conjunctivitis or pink eye is an eye disease which causes inflammation in the conjunctiva and can be identified by the redness, itching, burning, pain in the eyes.
- It can affect both the eyes of a patient. It is caused by viruses, bacterias, allergies, and chemicals.
- The body heals itself in most of the cases but some severe cases need proper treatment from eye specialists.
- There can be some very serious cases of conjunctivitis which needs expert attention, in such cases, the patient should consult an ayurvedic expert for the permanent cure of the disease as conjunctivitis natural treatment can cure the disease without any side effects with the help of Ayurveda’s holistic approach.