Everything You Need To Know About Keratoconus
- Keratoconus is a progressive corneal disease in which the spherical shape of the cornea becomes thin and changes to a conical shape. In this disease, The light rays do not come to the retina precisely due to the disturbing shape of the cornea. It leads to several visual disturbances.
- The common symptoms of Keratoconus are blurred or distorted vision, sensitivity to light, frequent changes in the power of the glasses, eye irritation, etc. Prakash Nethralaya follows a holistic approach and provides effective relief in all these symptoms with Ayurvedic Keratoconus Treatment.
- The disease is diagnosed after a comprehensive eye examination that includes vision testing, refraction, and a topography test. The patient complains of frequent changes in astigmatism (Cylindrical power of the glasses).
- Rubbing of the eyes can lead to tiny cracks in the cornea which can further lead to corneal ulcers making the condition more complicated.
- There is no specific cause for the development of Keratoconus. Eye allergy and genetics can play some role in a few cases.
- In Ayurveda, Keratoconus is understood by compiling the ‘Krishna Gata Rogas’ and ‘Timira’ spectrum of diseases.
- Vata dosha disturbance at the level of the cornea is the most precise explanation that fits for this disease. The cornea is the site for Vata dosha. A further disturbance in Vata dosha leads to various anatomical and physiological changes in the cornea. It alters the shape of the cornea making it thinner in the center, giving it a conical shape.
- Ayurveda therapies like netradhara, Nasya, Lepa over eyes, Shirodhara, and Tharpana are highly potent procedures that can prevent a check on the further progression of the disease.
- Keratoconus requires long term monitoring of the symptoms with several diet and lifestyle restrictions.
- All Vata increasing factors like refrigerated foodstuff, processed food, working on a computer and mobile screen for hours, late-night sleep, disturbed bowel habits, etc are to be avoided.
- Healthy and balanced food rich in clarified butter (cow ghee), proper sleep, stress-free routine, and good physical exercise will help to prevent the future deterioration of the vision.
Symptoms of Keratoconus
Frequent Power Changes
Our Approach To Keratoconus Treatment
Keratoconus Ayurvedic Treatment
We at Prakash Nethralaya & Panchakarma Kendra divide the disease in two clinical stages. If the disease is in the initial stage, then Ayurveda medicines are sufficient enough to take care of the disease. In the advanced condition, an aggressive approach of panchakarma therapies is adopted. The patient needs to be hospitalized for a 21 days period under the supervision of an Ayurvedic eye specialist. Various therapies like Netradhara, Snehpana, Virechan, Nasya, Anjana & Aschyotana, Tharpana are done which has to be followed by Ayurveda medicines. A detailed understanding of medical history will clear the clinical staging of the disease. You can have a detailed discussion with the doctor over an online video consultation so that the exact line of treatment can be decided.
Why To Choose Ayurveda?
Looks for the Root Cause
The ayurvedic approach of treatment looks for the root cause and not merely the symptoms. There are two ways of treatment; Shodhan, and Shaman. Shodhan is a complete detoxification of the body by Panchakarma therapies. Shaman is balancing the doshas by Ayurveda medicines, diet, and lifestyle changes. Medicines always work better in a patient who has been detoxified with Panchakarma.
Ayurveda medicines are processed in the most natural way and not in the synthetic and chemical form. This is for this reason that the medicines are soft on the body and there is no risk of side effects even if the patient requires to take the medicines for longer durations. The complete eradication of the root cause ensures the cure and prevents future health complications.
Ayurveda is not merely a medical science. Rather, it is a philosophical science too. The basic principles of Ayurveda consider an individual human a specific identity and hence his treatment. Ayurveda gives importance to the treatment of the patient rather than the treatment of the disease. Two patients of the same disease can have different treatments because of the difference in their body constitution.
Success Stories of Ayurveda
Thousands have experienced relief after treatment at Prakash Nethralaya
Get long-term relief from your problems.