Strabismus or Squint Eye Treatment in Ayurveda
Fix the movement of eyes in Squint and strengthen the muscles with Ayurvedic Treatment & Panchakarma
Consult for your disease now
Strabismus or squint treatment in ayurveda is useful for the removal of squint from the eye with the help of various herbal medicines and therapies present in ancient ayurveda texts with new modifications. Depending on the age, the health of an individual and the type of squint or strabismus, the Ayurveda doctor may prescribe ayurvedic treatment of panchakarma. Squint treatment in ayurveda does not require any surgery and it is completely free from side-effects.
The strabismus treatment in India according to panchakarma can be used in combination with ayurvedic herbs and yoga exercises for effective treatment of squint. Ayurvedic treatment is based on ancient studies, and it focuses on removing toxins from our mind and body. The squint treatment in Ayurveda also restores the balance between the three doshas - Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. When the toxins are removed and the doshas are balanced, the human mind and body start functioning in perfect sync with each other. Reaching this state of supreme health is very useful in squint eye treatment without surgery. Further improvements can be made with ayurvedic herbs that strengthen the nervous system and its coordination with muscles that control eye movement.
Strabismus treatment in India aims to improve the strength of eye muscles. This approach includes eye exercise, improving eating habits to nourishing and a balanced diet, and following ayurvedic eye treatments like nethradhara, tharpana, eye massages, etc are very powerful in squint eye correction.
- Nethradhara - This is one of the best therapies used as squint eye treatment in ayurveda, as this process includes washing of the eyes with freshly prepared medicated decoctions for strengthening the muscles.
- Netra Basti - This therapy is also served as squint treatment in Ayurveda, it is used to reduce the eye stress. The eyes are bathed to remove any congested secretion. A dough dam is built up around the eye and a warm medicated ghee is slowly poured into the dam, bringing peace and nourishment to the eyes.
- Netra Tarpana - Netra Tarpana is used as the best squint treatment in Ayurveda. The procedure follows as a mixture made by gram flour is pasted around both the eyes and drugs are poured onto it such that the drug does not spill from the batter which is set around the eyes.
Squint or Strabismus is a condition in which there is a misalignment of the eye occurs. The two eyes are pointed towards different directions in this eye disorder. The deviation of the eye may be in any direction - inward, outward, upward or downward. This can happen in either eye.
If a child has a squint it is important that they are examined by an eye doctor to help to prevent the eye that does not look straight from becoming severe which eventually leads to permanent loss of vision.
This usually occurs because the muscles that control the movement of the eye and the eyelid, the extraocular muscles, are not working together. As a result, both eyes are unable to look at the same spot at the same time. It is estimated to affect around 4 percent of the population in the United States only.
If there are signs of squint, the squint specialist will probably use eye drops that dilate the pupils before the test is done. Then afterward he will perform various tests enlisted below:
- The Hirschberg test, or Hirschberg corneal reflex test, is used to assess whether the patient has a squint.
- The ophthalmologist shines a light in the eye and observes where the light reflects from the corneas. Then he will check if the eyes are well-aligned, the light will go to the center of both corneas. If it does not, the test can show whether the patient has exotropia, hypertropia, esotropia or hypotropia.
Causes of squint are as follows:
- It is caused due to congenital reasons, meaning a person is born with it.
- Hereditary, or running in families.
- It can also be caused due to the result of an illness or long-sightedness.
- Due to a lesion on a cranial nerve.
- If the eye cannot focus the light as it comes in through the lens, this is known as a refractive error.
- The weakness of the eye muscles or problems with the nerves in the eye muscles.
- Blurred or poor vision caused due to cataract, corneal scars, glaucoma, refractive errors, optic nerve disease, retinal disease, tumors of the eye, etc.
- Certain eye or brain injuries can also cause squit.
The major signs and symptoms of a squint are as follows:
- Double vision occurs.
- Is it is untreated in the early stages, it can lead to amblyopia, or "lazy eye," in which the brain starts ignoring input from one of the eyes.
- One eye or both eyes point to different directions.
- Children can have a defective vision in one eye or both eyes.
- Children with a squint, sometimes have to close one eye in bright sunlight.
- Some children turn their face or tilt their head in a specific direction in order to use their eyes together.
- The brain ignores one of the eyes to avoid double vision.
There are different types of squint and are described by the cause or by the way the eye turns:
- Hypertropia is when the eye turns upwards.
- Hypotropia is when the eye turns downwards.
- Esotropia is when the eye turns inwards.
- Exotropia is when the eye turns outwards.
Along with the squint eye treatment in Ayurveda here are some home remedies for how to cure squint eye naturally:
- Putting 2 drops of ghee in eyes at bedtime is a nourishing medicine.
- Vitamin-C rich fruits like berries and citrus fruits should be added in the daily diet.
- One teaspoon Triphala powder mixed with 1tsp of ghee and 2 tsp of honey to be taken twice daily with milk is a very good tonic for the strength of eye muscles and nerves.
Squint eye correction is also possible by various preventive measures and inculcating some lifestyle changes in daily life, such as:
- Eye exercises should be done regularly.
- Yoga and pranayama should also be included in the daily lifestyle.
- Avoid any type of injury to the head.
- Reduce the on-screen time.