Everything you want to know about Ayurvedic Treatment of Uveitis
Uveitis is a serious eye disease that requires immediate medical attention by an experienced eye specialist. Uveitis can cause permanent blindness if not diagnosed on time. It has been linked with other serious ocular complications also.
If you feel redness and burning sensation in your eyes, find increased sensitivity to light, see some floaters and blurriness in your eyes. Then,
You might have Uveitis.
But Still, No need to worry. Uveitis can be cured permanently with Ayurveda naturally.
Here before getting onto Uveitis Treatment, First know What is Uveitis and What Causes Uveitis?
What is Uveitis?
Uveitis is an eye inflammation that occurs when the middle layer of the eyeball called uvea gets infected. The uvea is made up of many blood vessels that are useful for the eyes. Uvea includes the ciliary body, iris, and choroid.
There are 3 types of uveitis:
- Anterior uveitis - When the uvea starts swelling near the front part of the eye it is called anterior uveitis. Anterior uveitis can start suddenly and the symptoms can last for a longer duration of time.
- Intermediate uveitis - When the uvea starts swelling in the middle it is called as intermediate uveitis.
- Posterior uveitis - When the uvea starts swelling at the back of the eye then it is called as posterior uveitis. This type of uveitis can also last for many years depending on the severity of each case.
In some very serious cases, all layers of the uvea can be damaged. This type of uveitis is known as panuveitis.
Uveitis Causes and Risk Factors
There are no specific causes of uveitis but people with certain diseases are more likely to develop Uveitis. Some of the common diseases which are linked with the uveitis are :
- Eye injuries
- Infections such as herpes, syphilis
- Inflammatory diseases such as arthritis, lupus
- Autoimmune disorders
- Eye affecting cancer such as lymphoma
- Smoking is also one of the triggers of the uveitis disease.
A person affected with uveitis shows some signs and symptoms of the disease. If these symptoms are identified early then chances of a fast recovery increases. Some of the common signs and symptoms of the uveitis disease are :
- Redness of the eye
- Burning of the eye
- Sensitivity to light
- Blurred vision
- Black sclera
- Flashing lights are seen
Can Uveitis Be Cured Permanently?
Yes, Uveitis can be cured permanently with the help of ayurvedic treatment. Ayurveda treats the patient suffering from uveitis permanently with its holistic approach without any side effects. Significant improvement can be seen in the patient after a few sessions of the ayurvedic treatment.
Ayurveda provides a personalized treatment to the patient depending on the level of disturbance in the dhatus and doshas in the body. Ayurveda believes that all the diseases are caused as a result of the imbalance in the levels of doshas and dhatus. H
Uveitis Treatment in Ayurveda
According to ayurveda an imbalance in vata and pitta dosha causes uveitis.
In the majority of patients, Autoimmune disturbance is found to be the main cause of Uveitis. Stress is the major root cause by which the psychology of the cells gets disturbed and the immune cells attack our own body tissues. Imbalanced lifestyle, materialistic targets of life, unsatisfied life goals, wrong eating habits, and erratic sleep patterns work together to increase the confusion and irritation of the immune cells. This disturbance leads to
To treat the imbalance in these doshas and to relieve from the cellular stress, complete purification process of the body is required. This is done with the help of Panchakarma therapies in the supervision of an expert Ayurvedic eye specialist.
After complete purification of the system, the use of Ayurvedic medicines are prescribed as per the Individual nature of the patient based on the symptoms of the disease. There are several anti-inflammatory ayurvedic medicines which are used to provide relief to the patient for a longer duration.
A detoxification treatment course of approximate 3 weeks is required followed by oral medicines and Ayurvedic eye drops. The duration is for a minimum of 6 months to a maximum of 1 year or sometimes more depending upon the patient’s condition. This has to be assisted with a healthy and disciplined lifestyle.
The major Ayurveda procedures which are done in an Ayurvedic eye hospital for the permanent treatment of uveitis are as follows:
- Abhyang & Swedan
- Anjana & Aschyotana
Conventional Treatment of Uveitis
Uveitis has acute presentation as a disease and needs treatment as early as possible. If ignored, it may lead to permanent blindness also.
So, treatment options which provide immediate relief to a uveitis patient are -
- Use of corticosteroids (internal and topical use as eye drops) to reduce eye inflammation and to reduce pain and swelling.
- Antiviral medicines are used in case of herpetic uveitis.
- Antimetabolite medicines are also used in some serious cases like Panuveitis.
- Immunosuppressants are used in case the corticosteroids are not capable to control the inflammation.
All the above eye inflammation treatment options provide effective relief for the time being and can help to relieve the symptoms immediately.
But they are not potent enough to cure Uveitis permanently in the majority of cases. Rather they may cause many serious side effects also if used for longer durations.
Precautions and Lifestyle Changes
By taking required precautions and adopting healthy lifestyle changes which can bring some positive changes in the health, a uveitis patient can see a remarkable improvement in the condition.
Some of the common precautions and lifestyle changes which should be followed by a uveitis patient are -
- Early detection is the key to successful treatment in this disease. The disease can damage the vision permanently leading to complete blindness in Uveitis if ignored.
- Avoid bright light and always wear sunglasses while visiting outside in sunlight.
- Take a complete course of the treatment as uveitis symptoms of the disease keeps on returning after a few weeks. Ayurvedic treatment of uveitis is the only effective option. As it removes the main causes of the disease and provides a permanent solution.
- Do not put materialistic targets in life and enjoy the “Go with the flow” nature of life. Do not
stickemotionally to situations with negative energy.
- Do morning walk, exercise. Yoga can be a very strong tool to calm down the angry immune cells.
Home Remedies for Uveitis
There are some home remedies available for the treatment of uveitis.
These home remedies should be used in case there is an emergency and no other option is available. These home remedies should not be treated as a permanent solution to the disease as uveitis is a very serious eye condition. It requires a proper chain of Ayurveda procedures under the guidance of an Ayurvedic eye specialist in an Ayurvedic eye hospital.
Some of the common home remedies available for the treatment of uveitis disease are -
- Make a paste of white sandalwood and apply over the eyelids to reduce inflammation and burning and redness of eyes.
- Soak a cotton piece in rose water and put it over eyes to get a soothing feeling.
- Make a bolus of half tsp turmeric powder and do mild hot fomentation over the closed eyelids to reduce pain.
- Take 1 tsp Triphala powder at bedtime with warm water to keep the bowels normal.
- Uveitis is an eye inflammation that occurs when the middle layer of the eyeball called uvea gets infected.
- Stressed life, infections and eye injuries are the main causes of uveitis disease.
- Redness and burning of the eyes, blurred vision and sensitivity to the light are one of the common symptoms of the uveitis disease.
- Permanent cure of the uveitis is possible with the help of ayurvedic treatment.
- Corticosteroids and immunosuppressants are mostly used in the conventional treatment of uveitis.
- Ayurvedic treatment of uveitis uses ayurvedic medicines and panchkarma to treat the disease permanently.
- Early detection and proper Ayurvedic treatment of autoimmune diseases are the only way to get the maximum result to cure them permanently.
- Sandalwood, cotton and turmeric powder can be used in treating the disease at home.