Everything You Need To Know About Ankylosing Spondylitis
Ankylosing Spondylitis is a painful condition and it mostly affects people with a stressful routine. It is important to seek treatment without any delays. Ayurvedic treatment for ankylosing spondylitis is a widely accepted approach as it treats the problem by root and provides permanent relief from the problem.
What is Ankylosing Spondylitis?
Ankylosing spondylitis is an inflammatory disease that affects the joints of the whole spine. The spine's vertebrae start fusing, which reduces the back's flexibility and can result in a forward/bend posture. The patient feels more pain in the morning or after periods of inactivity, the pain reduces as the day progresses. This condition is termed ankylosis and can be visible on x-rays. It starts in an age group between teens and thirties and is seen more in males than females.
Symptoms of Ankylosing Spondylitis
The initial signs of ankylosing spondylitis include stiffness and pain in the lower hips and back. The patient feels intense pain in the morning which goes down as the day progresses. The symptoms get worse as time goes by along with morning stiffness the patient also experiences pain in:
- Hip and shoulder joints.
- The cartilage between ribs and breastbone.
- Places where ligaments and tendons attach with the bones especially in the spine as well as the back of the heel.
- Vertebrae present in the lower back.
- The joint present between the pelvis and the base of the spine.
One must seek medical help if you feel the morning pain in your lower back and buttocks getting worse with every passing day. Prakash Nethralaya follows a holistic approach and provides effective relief in all these symptoms with a natural treatment for Ankylosing Spondylitis.
Causes of Ankylosing Spondylitis
Significant causes of Ankylosing Spondylitis includes:
- Disturbing lifestyle
- Bad eating habits
- Stressed routine
- Genetic factors
Risk Factors in Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Gender: Males are more prone to this problem than women. So, they need to be more careful about worsening pain in their lower back.
- Age: The problem gets worse and worse during late adolescence or at the onset of adulthood.
- Heredity: Many people with a specific gene called HLA-B27 have ankylosing spondylitis. However, there are cases where people with this gene led a pain-free healthy life and never had this problem.
Complications of Ankylosing Spondylitis
People with ankylosing spondylitis often get new bones as their body tries to heal. The new bones then slowly start forming a bridge between vertebrae. Finally, these new bones fuse various vertebrae with each other. So, those fuse parts of the spine end up being inflexible and stiff. As it progresses, it further stiffens the rib cage and restricts the functioning and capacity of the lungs. If there is any delay in treatment, several other complications may follow:
- Heart Problems: Ankylosing spondylitis can land you in serious problems related to the heart especially, the largest artery in the body.
- Compression Fractures: A few people may experience bone thinning during the initial stage of ankylosing spondylitis. Weak vertebrae may crumble down leading to severe deformity in posture. If there are multiple vertebrae fractures, they may add pressure on the spinal cord and the nerves related to it.
- Uveitis: Inflammation in the eyes is one of the most common side effects of ankylosing spondylitis. It causes severe pain in the eyes, increases their sensitivity to light and blurs the vision. It is advised to see a doctor immediately as the symptoms start appearing.
Diagnosis and Ayurvedic Treatment for Ankylosing Spondylitis
Early diagnosis and treatment can control the condition and prevent complications of Ankylosing Spondylitis. It is diagnosed by some physical bending tests, X-rays, and blood investigations for inflammation markers, including the HLA B-27 test. According to Ayurveda, Vitiated Vata, and Pitta when mixes with Aam, it leads to this inflammatory disease, i.e. Ankylosing Spondylitis.
Panchakarma treatments by Virechana and Vasti and Kativasti, Kizhi, and Dhara are almost mandatory for Ayurvedic treatment of Ankylosing Spondylitis with Ayurveda medicines, Lifestyle correction, and diet recommendations. Yoga practices will undoubtedly help to maintain the tone of the muscles.
Diet and Lifestyle Changes for Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Use of Warm water, garlic, dried ginger (Saunth), cumin seeds(Jeera), carom seeds (Ajwain), and Heeng will help to reduce the symptoms and should be encouraged. Their regular consumption provides immense pain relief to ankylosing spondylitis patients.
- Use of Curd, Fried food, Tobacco, Alcohol, Refrigerated foods, Sweets, and Processed food items will increase the symptoms and should be discouraged.
Symptoms of Ankylosing Spondylitis
Our Approach To Ankylosing Spondylitis Treatment
Early Stage Treatment
Ayurveda medicines, correction of the lifestyle, diet recommendations, and yoga practices altogether can lead to a symptom-free stage in early cases of ankylosing spondylitis. Although the duration of the ayurvedic treatment for ankylosing spondylitis is long even in the early stage.
Advanced Stage Treatment
For effective ankylosing spondylitis treatment, Repetitive Panchakarma therapies are mandatory along with the Ayurveda medicines, and other stuff for a chronic and advanced condition as it requires higher energy of the ayurvedic treatment to balance the aggravated doshas.
Frquently Asked Questions on Ankylosing Spondylitis
Yes, Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS) can be cured with Ayurvedic Treatment. The treatment involves various Ayurvedic Therapies and Ayurvedic Medicines to provide pain relief. Ayurveda also prevents further fusion of the spine and reduces stiffness in the spine with Oleation.
The best treatment for Ankylosing Spondylitis is Ayurvedic Treatment. As Ayurveda treats the root cause of the disease, similarly, Ayurvedic Treatment treats the imbalance in Vata Dosha, which is the main reason for inflammation in the spine. Ayurvedic Therapies like Kati Vasti, Sarvangdhara, etc. and natural medicines collectively relieves inflammation, pain and stiffness.
Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS) is an inflammatory disease in which some vertebrates of the spine fuses into one another. Modern Medical System has no treatment available for Ankylosing Spondylitis. But, with age-old system of India i.e. Ayurveda it can be cured naturally withits holistic approach. Ankylosing Spondylitis treatment in India using various Panchakarma Therapies and Ayurvedic Medicines provides relief in pain and prevents further inflammation.
There are a lot of ayurvedic medicines which helps cure Ankylosing Spondylitis along with Ayurvedic Treatment. Natural herbs like ginger, guggul, turmeric, fenugreek, ashwagandha, giloy, etc. are considered to be the best ayurvedic medicines for Ankylosing Spondylitis as they balance aggravated Vata in the body.
The inflammation and fusion in the vertebrates of the spine causes severe pain in the back and especially lower back pain. Ayurvedic Treatment and Medicines reduces ankylosing spondylitis pain naturally. One can live a pain-free life with ankylosing spondylitis natural treatment.
Why To Choose Ayurveda?
Looks for the Root Cause
The ayurvedic approach of disease looks for the root cause and not merely the symptoms. Ayurveda offers two ways of treatment; One is Shodhan, and the other is Shaman. Shodhan is complete detoxification of the body by Panchakarma therapies. Shaman is balancing the doshas by Ayurveda medicines, diet, and lifestyle changes. Ayurveda medicines always work better in a patient detoxified with Panchakarma.
Ayurveda medicines are processed most naturally and not in the synthetic and chemical form. For this reason, the herbs are soft on the body, and there is no risk of side effects even if the patient requires to take them for longer durations. The complete eradication of the root cause ensures the cure and prevents future health complications.
Ayurveda is not merely a medical science. Instead, it is a philosophical science too. The basic principles of Ayurveda consider an individual human a specific identity and hence his treatment. Ayurveda gives importance to the treatment of the patient rather than the treatment of the disease. Two patients of the same disease can have different treatments because of the difference in their body constitution.