Depression treatment in ayurveda can be done with the following Ayurvedic Therapies:
- Nidana Parivarjana - Depression treatment in ayurveda can be done with the help of this therapy. Various factors like trauma, use of steroids, pain killers, etc. need to be avoided.
- Shodhana Chikitsa (Bio-cleansing therapies) followed by Samana Chikitsa (Palliative therapy) may be done.
- Snehapana (Internal oleation) – This therapy is also done as depression treatment without medication with the help of various herbal oils.
- Virechana Therapy with herbal medications in half a glass of warm milk at bedtime in the night is recommended to depression patients.
With the help of these therapies, you can cure depression naturally.
From the perspective of ayurvedic depression treatment in India, depression can occur in three types, each can be treated differently along with some lifestyle changes.
- Vata Depression - The feelings generally associated with Vata-type depression are fear, anxiety, nervousness, and insomnia. In this type of ayurvedic treatment for depression is done with the following home remedies:
- Holy basil (tulsi) and sage tea. Drink twice a day.
- Nose drops of warm sesame oil (3-5 drops in each nostril). Morning and evening on an empty stomach.
- Rubbing the top of the head and the soles of the feet with sesame oil.
- Pitta Depression - Pitta depression can lead to dangerous suicidal thoughts, in this case, it is necessary to consult a doctor. The feelings associated with this type of depression are anger, fear of failure or losing control. In all cases of pitta depression, these ayurvedic treatments can help:
- Rub coconut oil onto your scalp and the soles of the feet just before bedtime.
- Drink herbal Ginko tea 2-3 times a day.
- Use Brahmi ghee nose drops on an empty stomach.
- Meditate, even as little as a few minutes a day can be very helpful.
- Kapha Depression - Kapha depression is associated with a feeling of heaviness, resulting in excess sleep, drowsiness, weight gain, etc. These natural, ayurvedic treatments to relieve Kapha depression:
- Fasting for 3-4 days to release toxins.
- Try endurance exercises.
- Ginger tea (ginger powder diluted in hot water) twice a day.
- Try punarnava ghee nasal drops – twice a day, 5 drops in each nostril.
- Surya namaskars – 12 repetitions a day.
Depression is a type of medical illness that negatively affects how you feel, the way you think and how you act. Depression causes feelings of sadness or a loss of interest in most of the activities. It can lead to a variety of emotional and physical problems. It is a mood disorder often characterized by prolonged feelings of sadness and loss of interest in daily activities. If the same symptoms persist for a period of at least two weeks or more, it is considered to be a period of depression. It seems to be more common among women than men. Depression treatment in Ayurveda is possible without any side effects.
The causes of depression are not fully understood, but various factors are as follows:
- Genetics factors.
- Changes in neurotransmitter levels.
- Environmental factors.
- Psychological and social factors.
- Life events such as divorce, work issues, relationships with friends and family, financial problems, medical concerns, or acute stress.
- Abuse of recreational drugs such as abuse of alcohol, amphetamines, and other drugs are strongly linked to depression.
Symptoms of depression can vary from mild to severe which include the following:
- Feeling of sadness and a depressed mood.
- Reduced interest or pleasure in activities previously enjoyed.
- Loss of sexual desire.
- Unintentional weight loss or low appetite.
- Difficulty in sleeping or hypersomnia (excessive sleeping).
- Loss of interest or pleasure in activities once enjoyed.
- Changes in appetite — weight loss or gain unrelated to dieting.
- Trouble in sleeping or sleeping too much.
- Thoughts of ending life.
- Bipolar disorder or depression - Bipolar depression occurs when the person experiences depressive episodes. Bipolar disorder can cause various mood swings to the person. Episodes in bipolar disorder typically range from episodes of high energy to depressive episodes of low energy.
- Depression and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) - Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a type of anxiety disorder. It causes the feeling of unwanted and continuous thoughts, urges, and fears. These cause you to do the repeated behaviors or rituals that you hope will ease the stress.
- Major depressive disorder with seasonal pattern - Previously called seasonal affective disorder (SAD), this condition is related to the reduced daylight of winter - the depression occurs during this season but lifts for the rest of the year and in response to light therapy.
- Dysthymia - It causes a low mood over a long period of time, even a year or more.
- Severe depression - It shows up during the second half of the menstrual cycle and is called Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder.
Depression treatment without medication can be done with the help of certain home remedies such as follows:
- Aerobic exercise can help against mild depression since it raises endorphin levels and stimulates the neurotransmitter norepinephrine, which is related to mood.
- There are certain yogic practices that are beneficial in Depression.
- Brain stimulation therapies – These therapies include electroconvulsive therapy which is also used in depression treatment without medication.
- Reducing stress.
- Avoidance of non-vegetarian diet, frequent eating, and very high calory food.
- Avoidance of loneliness by engaging in social activities.
- Building strong relationships with others.
- Other techniques and ideas may also help you prevent depression. Read the full list of 15 ways you can avoid depression.
Along with ayurvedic treatment for depression here are certain lifestyle changes and preventive measures that you should take for natural depression treatment:
- For many people, regular exercise helps create a positive feeling and improve mood.
- Getting enough quality sleep on a regular basis, eating a healthy diet and avoiding alcohol (a depressant) can also help reduce symptoms of depression.
- Depression is a real illness and help is available.
- If you are experiencing symptoms of depression, you should talk about your concerns and request a thorough evaluation with the doctor. This is a start to treating mental health needs.