Depression is a common but highly under-rated disease. Most people don’t want to acknowledge it due to societal pressures and awkwardness. But slowly, people are accepting the dispute related to mental health and learning to be acceptable with it. It is time we know depression as a major healthiness concern that needs to be addressed with medical help. We provide holistic and natural Depression Treatment in Ayurveda that uses therapies, natural herbs, and some effective lifestyle changes that cure depression for sure and for good.
What Is Depression?
Depression is a kind of mental illness that pessimistically affects how you undergo, the way you imagine, and how you act. It causes feelings of grief or a loss of concentration and interest in most activities. It often leads to a diversity of emotional and physical problems.
Medically, it is a feeling disorder often characterized by prolonged feelings of unhappiness and defeat of interest in everyday activities. If similar symptoms persevere for at least two weeks or extra, it is considered to be a phase of depression. It seems to be more ordinary amongst women than men. Depression treatment in Ayurveda is possible without any side effects.
If you are suffering from depression type of disease then you need effective treatment for it and Ayurveda is the best treatment for dispersion because it is completely natural and side-effects free.
Causes of Depression
The causes of depression are not fully understood, but various factors are as follows:
- Inheritance factors.
- Change in neurotransmitter levels.
- Ecological factors.
- Psychosomatic and societal factors.
- Life events such as separation, work issues, associations & relationships with friends and family, monetary problems, health concerns, or sensitive stress.
- Abuse of spare time drugs such as cruelty of alcohol, amphetamines, and other drugs are robustly linked to depression.
Symptoms of Depression
Symptoms of depression can vary from mild to severe which include the following:
- Feeling of sadness, grief, and a depressed mood.
- Reduced attention or enjoyment in activities before enjoyed.
- Loss of sexual desire.
- Unintentional weight loss or low appetite.
- Complexity in sleeping or hypersonic (excessive sleeping).
- Thoughts of ending days.
If you are suffering from these symptoms, please don’t avoid it and take Depression treatment in Ayurveda.
Types of Depression
- Bipolar disorder or depression - Bipolar depression occurs when the person experiences depressive episodes. Bipolar disorder can cause various mood swings in the person. Episodes in bipolar disorder typically range from episodes of high energy to depressive episodes of low energy.
- Depression and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) - Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a type of anxiety disorder. It causes the feeling of unwanted and continuous thoughts, urges, and fears. These cause you to do the repeated behaviors or rituals that you hope will ease the stress.
- Major depressive disorder with seasonal pattern - Previously called seasonal affective disorder (SAD), this condition is related to the reduced daylight of winter - the depression occurs during this season but lifts for the rest of the year and in response to light therapy.
- Dysthymia - It causes a low mood over a long period, even a year or more.
- Severe depression - It shows up during the second half of the menstrual cycle and is called Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder.
Diagnosis and Depression Treatment in Ayurveda
From an Ayurvedic perspective, depression results from a disturbance in the three natural doshas - Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. The treatment, therefore, is carried out by diagnosing the particular Dosha imbalance that caused the problem. Based on these three characteristics, the doctors identify three kinds of Depression Treatment in Ayurveda.
Following therapies are used for the most severe and intense cases of depression:
- Nidana Parivarjana – Ayurvedic treatment for Depression can be done with the help of this therapy. Various factors like trauma, use of steroids, pain killers, etc. need to be avoided.
- Shodhana Chikitsa (Bio-cleansing therapies) followed by Samana Chikitsa (Palliative therapy) may be done.
- Snehapana (Internal oleation) – This therapy is also done as depression treatment without medication with the help of various herbal oils.
- Virechana Therapy with herbal medications in half a glass of warm milk at bedtime the night is recommended for depression patients.
Along with, there are a small number of other things that a tolerant needs to follow based on the sort of depression he or she has:
Vata Depression - The feelings usually associated with Vata-type depression are terror, nervousness, anxiety, and sleeplessness. The treatment for this type of depression is done with the following remedies:
- Holy basil (tulsi) tea. Drink two times a day.
- Nose drops of tepid sesame oil (3-5 drops in every nostril). Morning and evening on a vacant stomach.
- Rubbing the apex of the head and the soles of the feet through sesame oil.
- Pitta Depression - Pitta depression can lead to hazardous suicidal thoughts. It is critical to get in touch with a doctor and take proper treatment. The feelings connected with this type of depression are annoyance, the terror of crash or losing control. In all cases of pitta depression, that all Depression Treatment in Ayurveda can help:
1. Coconut oil massage onto your scalp and the soles of the feet just earlier than bedtime.
2. Drink herbal Ginko tea 2-3 times a day.
3. Use Brahmi ghee nose drops on a vacant stomach.
4. Contemplate, even as little as a small number of actions a day can be very helpful.
Kapha Depression - Kapha depression is allied with a feeling of heaviness, resulting in glut sleep, lethargy, weight increase, etc. These common and natural, Ayurvedic treatments to alleviate Kapha depression:
- Fasting for 3-4 days to let go poison.
- Try endurance exercises.
- Ginger tea (ginger crush diluted in hot water) two times a day.
- Try punarnava ghee nasal drops – two times a day, 5 drops in a piece nostril.
- Surya namaskaram – 12 repetitions a day.
Home Remedies for Depression
Depression treatment without medication can be done with the help of certain home remedies such as follows:
- Aerobic exercise can help against mild depression since it raises endorphin levels and stimulates the neither neurotransmitter nor epinephrine, which is related to mood.
- Certain yogic practices can always help one overcome depression.
- Brain stimulation therapies – These therapies include electroconvulsive therapy which is also used in depression treatment without medication.
- Reducing stress.
- Avoidance of non-vegetarian diet, frequent eating, and very high-calorie food.
- Avoidance of loneliness by engaging in social activities.
- Building strong relationships with others.
- Other techniques and ideas may also help you prevent depression. Read the full list of 15 ways you can avoid depression.
Prevention and Lifestyle Changes
Along with Depression Treatment in Ayurveda, there are certain lifestyle changes and preventive measures that you should take for natural depression treatment:
- For many people, normal exercise helps generate a positive feeling and progress their mood.
- Getting sufficient quality sleep regularly, intake a healthy diet, and avoid alcohol can also help reduce symptoms of depression.
- Depression is a genuine illness and help is accessible.
- If you are experiencing symptoms of depression, you should talk about your concerns and request a thorough evaluation with the doctor. This is a start to treating mental health needs.
Signs and Symptoms of Depression
Deep Feeling of Sadness
Unintentional Weight Loss
Difficulty in Sleeping
Our Approach To Depression Treatment
Depression Ayurvedic Treatment
Our approach revolves around the restoration of the natural balance between various doshas governing the patient’s body. We use Panchakarma therapies and lifestyle modifications to rejuvenate the mental energy levels in patient’s brain and help them develop a fresh perspective on life.
Success Stories of Depression Treatment
I suffered from severe post-partum depression after my twins were born. The mood swings, anxiety, and low energy levels started taking a toll on my marriage and family life and that’s when I decided to ask for help. Doctors at Prakash Nethralaya were really very patient, warm, and friendly and helped me recover through a series of counselling sessions, Panchkarma therapies, and some basic lifestyle changes. I and my family owe them a big time and I recommend it to all those mothers who are passing through the same.
I had no idea when it began but I just gave up my job and didn’t leave my room for weeks. Nothing gave me happiness and I just wanted to end my life. A friend took me to Prakash Netralaya and there I was diagnosed with pitta-based depression. They started the treatment with some basic medications and Panchakarma therapies but the final difference was felt after a week when I felt like taking a walk and connecting with the world again. It's been over 2 months now and I am still a work in progress but things seem better now than ever. I do yoga every day and go for Panchakarma sessions once a week, I highly recommend it to all those who want to get out of that deep well and move towards the light.
Why To Choose Ayurveda?
Looks for the Root Cause
The ayurvedic approach of disease looks for the root cause and not merely the symptoms. Ayurveda offers two ways of treatment; One is Shodhan, and the other is Shaman. Shodhan is complete detoxification of the body by Panchakarma therapies. Shaman is balancing the doshas by Ayurveda medicines, diet, and lifestyle changes. Ayurveda medicines always work better in a patient detoxified with Panchakarma.
Ayurveda medicines are processed most naturally and not in the synthetic and chemical form. For this reason, the herbs are soft on the body, and there is no risk of side effects even if the patient requires to take them for longer durations. The complete eradication of the root cause ensures the cure and prevents future health complications.
Ayurveda is not merely a medical science. Instead, it is a philosophical science too. The basic principles of Ayurveda consider an individual human a specific identity and hence his treatment. Ayurveda gives importance to the treatment of the patient rather than the treatment of the disease. Two patients of the same disease can have different treatments because of the difference in their body constitution.