The epilepsy treatment in ayurveda is based on the various causes of the disorder. The permanent cure for epilepsy in ayurveda is possible. It can be managed to a large extent of being able to lead a completely normal life. The various therapies which act as an epilepsy treatment in ayurveda are described below.
Panchakarma - Strong detoxification procedures are highly recommended in the epilepsy treatment in ayurveda. The type of purification method chosen to restore the brain’s activity to normal would depend on the specific dosha that is vitiated.
The list of vitiated doshas and associated epilepsy treatment in ayurveda is as follows:
- Vata Dosha - In this case, the body is cleansed using basti therapy to balance Vata dosha. This dosha gets aggravated due to stress, lack of sleep and acute mental exertion. Vata is calmed with the help of medicated abhyangam epilepsy treatment in ayurveda as well as by pouring a stream of oil on the head Shirodhara which can calm the mind.
- Pitta dosha - The aggravation of this dosha is corrected by purgation virechana therapy. This dosha is usually disturbed due to high heat. The possible causes of epilepsy due to Pitta dosha could be diseases like inflammation of the head.
- Kapha Dosha - Toxins are removed from the body by inducing vomiting or Vamana therapy. This is often due to a blockage of the nervous system. One of the primary signs of Kaphic epilepsy can be the excessive secretion of saliva. Tulsi and calamus root are commonly used epilepsy treatment in India to treat Kapha type epilepsy.
Epilepsy is a non-communicable neurological disease that affects around 50 million people worldwide. It is a disorder in which brain activity becomes abnormal, causing seizures or periods of abnormal behavior, sensations, and loss of awareness. The disease is also characterized by episodes of involuntary movements in the body and is sometimes accompanied by loss of consciousness and control of bowel or bladder function. Epilepsy affects both males and females of all races, ethnic backgrounds, and ages.
Epilepsy has no definite cause. This condition may be traced to various factors, including:
- Genetic Factors - Some types of epilepsy, or the seizure you experience or the part of the brain that is affected, run in families. In these cases, it's likely that there's a genetic influence. Researchers have also linked some types of epilepsy to specific genes, but for most people, genes are only part of the cause of epilepsy.
- Head Trauma - Head trauma can be a result of a car accident or other traumatic injury.
- Brain Conditions - Brain conditions that cause damage to the brain, such as brain tumors or strokes, can cause epilepsy. Stroke is a leading cause of epilepsy in adults older than age 35.
- Infectious Diseases - Infectious diseases, such as meningitis, AIDS and viral encephalitis, can be a causative factor of epilepsy.
- Prenatal Injury - Before birth, babies are sensitive to brain damage that could be caused by several factors, such as an infection in the mother, poor nutrition or oxygen deficiencies. This brain damage can result in epilepsy.
Seizure symptoms can vary widely. Epilepsy causes seizures, and their signs and symptoms may include:
- Temporary confusion.
- Uncontrollable jerking movements of the arms and legs.
- Loss of consciousness or awareness.
- Psychic symptoms such as fear, anxiety.
- The symptoms vary according to the type of seizures.
- The seizure lasts more than five minutes.
- You may have a high fever.
- Heat exhaustion.
Along with ayurvedic medicine for epilepsy, It can be cured with natural treatment and some preventive measures at home such as:
- The epilepsy treatment in ayurveda involves, prevention of epilepsy associated with stroke is focused on cardiovascular risk factor reduction, e.g. measures to prevent or control high blood pressure, diabetes and obesity, and the avoidance of tobacco and excessive alcohol use.
- Preventing head injury is the most effective way to prevent post-traumatic epilepsy.
- Adequate perinatal care can reduce new cases of epilepsy caused by birth injury.
- The use of drugs and other methods to lower the body temperature of a feverish child can reduce the chance of febrile seizures.
- Avoid pungent, fried & greasy food, sugar & sweets, strong tea & coffee, alcoholic beverages, condiments & pickles, fast foods.
- Adopt a well-balanced diet.
- Meditation and other relaxation techniques should be used regularly as natural epilepsy treatment to ensure that stress does not disturb the electric activities in brain.
The natural epilepsy treatment in ayurveda can also be done by inculcating these lifestyle changes in your daily routine:
- Follow a regularized daily routine to stay stress-free.
- Keep yourself engaged in positive activities to help relax and strengthen your mind.
- Treat yourself with a head and foot massage with sesame oil daily. Add a few drops of frankincense essential oil as a healing agent to soothe your nerves.
- Epsom salt baths can be beneficial in this condition as Epsom salts contain magnesium which can regulate brain impulses and it can act as the best natural epilepsy treatment.
- Alternations between hot and cold compresses at the base of the brain and back of head.
- Constipation should be taken care of with the help of laxatives like isabgol.