Epilepsy is a serious disorder that leads to sudden, recurrent seizures. It is like a short circuit in the brain that leads to a temporary attack that paralyses the patient. It results in spasms and uncontrollable muscle twitching in the patient’s body. It is a concerning condition that can seriously affect the quality of life of the patient. Ayurveda offers a complete and reliable epilepsy treatment that treats the disease without any side effects.
Signs and Symptoms of Epilepsy
The symptoms of epilepsy may range widely. They are as listed below.
- Temporary confusion.
- Uncontrollable jerking movements of the arms and legs.
- Loss of consciousness or awareness.
- Psychic symptoms, such as fear, anxiety.
- The seizure lasts more than five minutes.
- High-grade fever.
- Heat exhaustion.
There are countless complications related to epilepsy seizures:
- The loss of consciousness during the seizure may make the person fall and lead to injury.
- If the person going through a seizure is driving may lose control over the vehicle and meet an accident. There are many states that have restricted driving for epilepsy patients.
- Epilepsy patient carries a higher risk of drowning in swimming pool if they get a seizure. Epilepsy patients must avoid swimming or any other kind of water sports.
- Epileptic people have several emotional problems including anxiety and depression. These issues may be there despite the disease but the difficulties related to epilepsy may easily get depression and anxiety.
Preventions for Epilepsy
- Most epilepsy attacks are related to some kind of trigger or sudden changes in a patient’s routine and habits. One must learn to keep a tab on them.
- An epilepsy patient must stay away from stress, anxiety and any kind of emotional disturbance.
- Drug abuse and alcohol are two other factors that may aggravate epilepsy attacks. Quit them immediately.
- Any kind of changes in sleep timings or a constant feeling of tiredness or considerable sleep deprivation is another thing that must be monitored.
- The patient must take medications for seizures regularly without missing or skipping any dose.
- The patient should also stay away from factors that disturb the normal senses like noisy environments, flashy lights, video games, constantly looking at the computer screen, etc.
- Women going through menstruation or pregnancy should be given special care.
- Epilepsy patients must get enough sleep and stick to it.
- One must try to learn relaxation and management techniques so that one can handle stress and pressures.
- Keep your diet healthy and full of fruits and vegetables.
Diagnosis and Epilepsy Treatment
Apasmara is the term used for epilepsy in Ayurveda texts. The symptoms are classified into three major categories based on the dosha involved, i.e., Vata, Pitta, and Kapha.
All types of epilepsy are curable with Ayurvedic treatment, a disciplined lifestyle, and diet changes. Ayurvedic epilepsy treatment can manage the disease to a large extent and help the patient lead a typical day to day life. There are various types of epilepsy treatment that differ on the basis of Dosha responsible for it. The main points of differentiation for Ayurvedic treatment for epilepsy, according to the dosha involved, are as follows.
- Vata Dosha: Lack of sleep, constipation, overexertion, and mental stress aggravate Vata dosha. Vata is calmed with the help of medicated Abhyanga, Shirodhara, and Vasti treatment.
- Pitta dosha: Inflammatory conditions increase the Pitta levels that ultimately lead to increased heat in the head. This condition is corrected by Virechan therapy.
- Kapha Dosha: This is often due to a blockage of the nervous system. The vital sign of Kapha epilepsy is the excessive secretion of saliva. Vaman and Nasya are the main procedures for detoxification of this type.
Our Approach To Epilepsy Treatment
Why To Choose Ayurveda?
Looks for the Root Cause
The ayurvedic approach of disease looks for the root cause and not merely the symptoms. Ayurveda offers two ways of treatment; One is Shodhan, and the other is Shaman. Shodhan is complete detoxification of the body by Panchakarma therapies. Shaman is balancing the doshas by Ayurveda medicines, diet, and lifestyle changes. Ayurveda medicines always work better in a patient detoxified with Panchakarma.
Ayurveda medicines are processed most naturally and not in the synthetic and chemical form. For this reason, the herbs are soft on the body, and there is no risk of side effects even if the patient requires to take them for longer durations. The complete eradication of the root cause ensures the cure and prevents future health complications.
Ayurveda is not merely a medical science. Instead, it is a philosophical science too. The basic principles of Ayurveda consider an individual human a specific identity and hence his treatment. Ayurveda gives importance to the treatment of the patient rather than the treatment of the disease. Two patients of the same disease can have different treatments because of the difference in their body constitution.
Diet and Lifestyle Changes
- An epilepsy patient should avoid spicy, fried food, fast food, excessive sugar intake, strong tea & coffee, alcoholic beverages, pickles.
- A patient with epilepsy should keep engaged in positive activities to help relax and strengthen the mind.
- Adequate prenatal care can reduce new cases of epilepsy caused by birth injury.