Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) is a medical condition that causes acid movement from the stomach to the chest and throat. It is an uncomfortable condition that adds a bitter sour taste to the back of one’s mouth.
If continued, the condition may lead to more problems like asthma or chronic cough. Ayurveda offers an effective GERD treatment that cures the disease permanently in a holistic way.
What is GERD?
GERD is a digestive disorder where stomach acid, stomach juice, and other fluids back up to the oesophagus. This acid reflux can irritate the oesophagus lining.
GERD can affect people of all age groups. GERD symptoms are very mild in some people, and in others, the symptoms are highly irritating and with high frequency.
Causes of GERD
A band of muscle lining the oesophagus allows the food and fluid into the stomach and closes again. Inadequate closure of the oesophagal sphincter due to muscle weakness or any other reason allows the stomach contents to flow back to the oesophagus. The backflow irritates the oesophagus lining causing symptoms of GERD. There are a few other noted causes for GERD:
- Connective tissue disorders
- Hiatal hernia
- The habit of sleeping right after eating
- Overconsumption of deep-fried and spicy foods
- Regular drinking of strong beverages like alcohol, coffee, and soda
- Usage of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen or aspirin
Symptoms of GERD
GERD symptoms include chest pain, acidic taste in the mouth, bad breath, regurgitation of food or sour liquid, breathing problems, chronic cough, and disturbed sleep.
Complications of GERD
GERD is not a serious problem but it may result in some uncomfortable conditions. Sometimes, in some intense conditions, it may result in some life-threatening health problems. It is a good idea to have an idea about the complications it may lead to:
- Esophagitis: Inflammation in the esophagus.
- Esopahgeal Stricture: Narrowing or tightening of the esopahgus.
- Barrett’s Esophagus: Permanent changes in the innermost lining of the esophagus.
- Asthma: Chronic cough and breathing problems due to the high acid content transferred from the stomach to the lungs.
- Esophageal Cancer: It is a rare condition that only affects people with Barrett’s esophagus.
- Several dental problems like gum diseases, erosion of tooth enamel, etc.
Diagnosis and GERD Treatment In Ayurveda
The doctor confirms GERD's diagnosis by clinical symptoms, an X-Ray of the upper digestive tract, and an endoscopy. Patients with obesity, pregnancy, smoking, hiatus hernia, side effects of certain medicines like antidepressants and sleeping pills are at higher risk of GERD.
According to Ayurveda, GERD comes under the heading of 'Ajeerna.' Reduced digestive fire due to Pitta vitiation and Vaat and Kapha involvement in different proportions lead to various clinical symptoms. Herbal medications and Panchakarma therapies are used together for GERD natural treatment.
Ayurveda emphasizes the root cause of the problem and then designing an individual's treatment plan. It is possible to cure GERD naturally with Ayurveda treatment in almost 100% of cases.
Diet & Lifestyle Changes for GERD
As a part of GERD Ayurvedic treatment, it is essential to make required changes to diet and lifestyle.
- Diet modifications, lifestyle correction, Ayurveda herbal medicines, and Panchakarma therapies in advanced and chronic cases ensure GERD's complete cure.
- Tea, coffee, aerated cold drinks, processed and fermented food, fast food, pickles, sour, spicy, salty foodstuff, tobacco, alcohol, and mental stress will increase the GERD symptoms. A patient should avoid these kinds of stuff.
- A GERD patient should use sufficient water, natural, healthy, and easily digestible food, timely food, fruits and vegetables, regular exercise, yoga, and a sound and timely sleep to recover from the disease.
Preventions for GERD
Unlike other medical conditions, it is possible to prevent GERD. Following are some preventive measures you may take:
- The first thing you may want to do is get control over your weight. It is one of the leading reasons for GERD.
- You must learn to stay away from reflux causing substances like fatty foods, fried food, citrus food, mint, chocolate, onions, carbonated beverages, caffeinated beverage, etc.
- Overeating is one of the leading reasons for GERD. An appropriate measure is to eat smaller meals that decreases the pressure on the esophagus.
- Try not to lie down immediately after eating. Take a walk or do your normal chores but try to maintain a gap of three hours between your meal and your nap.
- If you are on any special medications that may increase acidic reflux, you must speak to your doctor about it.
- Chain-smoking and over-drinking must be avoided.
- Avoid tight wearing clothes or belts, they may constrict your stomach and lead to acidic reflux.
Symptoms of GERD (GastroEsophageal Reflux Disease)
Heartburn and Pain
Our Approach To GERD (GastroEsophageal Reflux Disease) Treatment
Our Ayurveda expert examines the patient's symptoms, clinical history, diet, and lifestyle pattern. The doctor finds the dosha vitiation and plans for the treatment. A patient with GERD needs to follow Ayurveda medicines, diet, and lifestyle changes, as suggested by the doctor. Ayurveda medicines calm down the Pitta and make Vaat to flow in a normal direction. A patient with GERD requires Ayurvedic treatment for a minimum of 3 months for a complete cure. The GERD patient can consult with our doctor either by visiting the hospital or online video consultation.
Why To Choose Ayurveda?
Looks for the Root Cause
The ayurvedic approach of disease looks for the root cause and not merely the symptoms. Ayurveda offers two ways of treatment; One is Shodhan, and the other is Shaman. Shodhan is complete detoxification of the body by Panchakarma therapies. Shaman is balancing the doshas by Ayurveda medicines, diet, and lifestyle changes. Ayurveda medicines always work better in a patient detoxified with Panchakarma.
Ayurveda medicines are processed most naturally and not in the synthetic and chemical form. For this reason, the herbs are soft on the body, and there is no risk of side effects even if the patient requires to take them for longer durations. The complete eradication of the root cause ensures the cure and prevents future health complications.
Ayurveda is not merely a medical science. Instead, it is a philosophical science too. The basic principles of Ayurveda consider an individual human a specific identity and hence his treatment. Ayurveda gives importance to the treatment of the patient rather than the treatment of the disease. Two patients of the same disease can have different treatments because of the difference in their body constitution.