Hair loss is not a disease but can be a sign of several underlying problems. It is vital to find out its main culprit and work on it. Ayurveda offers an excellent hair loss natural treatment that cures the problem for a good without any toxic chemicals or side effects. How? Let’s find out.
What is Hair Loss?
Hair loss, or also known as alopecia, is a major concern these days for every age group.
It can just affect the scalp or spread through your entire body. Heredity factors, hormonal changes, medical conditions or medications are some of the major reasons behind hair loss. To a certain extent, hair fall is genuine as it is part of natural hair replacement. But excessive hair fall calls for attention and some extra care.
Baldness typically refers to excessive hair loss from the scalp. Hair loss with age or inherited baldness is the most common cause of baldness. Some people prefer to let the problem run its course untreated and unmasked. Others may cover it up with hairstyles, makeup, hats or scarves. But if you are looking for a permanent breakthrough then you must work on finding out the best treatment options.
Causes of Hair Loss
There may be several reasons for premature greying of hair and hair fall. To remove all the major causes of this, an effective hair loss treatment is needed so that the doctor can take a look at the causes and treat them. Some common causes are as follows:
- Heredity - The most common cause of hair loss is a hereditary condition called male-pattern baldness or female-pattern baldness. It usually occurs gradually with ageing and in predictable patterns.
- Hormonal Changes and Medical Conditions - Various medical conditions and hormonal changes can result in hair loss such as pregnancy, childbirth, menopause and thyroid problems.
- Supplements - Hair loss can be a side effect of certain drugs, such as those used for cancer, arthritis, depression, heart problems, gout and high blood pressure.
- Radiation Therapy - The hair may not grow back the same as it was before, due to the use of radiation therapy.
- Stress - Many people experience a general thinning of hair several months after a physical or emotional shock. This type of hair loss is temporary.
Symptoms of Hair Loss
Hair loss can appear in many different ways. There are various symptoms of hair loss such as:
- Gradual Thinning on Top of Head - This is the most common, affecting both men and women as they age.
- Circular or Patchy Bald Spots - Some people experience smooth, coin-sized bald spots. This type of hair loss usually affects just the scalp, but it sometimes also occurs in beards or eyebrows.
- Sudden Loosening of Hair - A physical or emotional shock can cause hair to loosen. Handfuls of hair may come out when combing or washing your hair or even after gentle tugging. This type of hair loss usually causes overall hair thinning and not bald patches.
- Full-Body Hair Loss - Some medical treatments, such as chemotherapy for cancer, can result in the loss of hair all over your body. The hair usually grows back.
Diagnosis and Hair Loss Natural Treatment
For the best hair loss treatment in India, the doctor must have to diagnose or classify the hair loss, before starting the treatment.
There are numerous ways that doctors use to categorize hair loss.
- One must first examine the scalp to determine if the hair loss is due to the physical destruction and loss of hair follicles.
- If the scalp appears perfectly normal with plenty of empty hair follicles, this is called non-scarring hair loss.
- Biopsy - Biopsy can be done sometimes in cases where it is difficult to differentiate between the types of alopecia.
- Cicatricial Alopecia permanently destroys the follicles. Sometimes, a physician may pull a hair to examine the appearance of the hair shaft as well as the percentage of growing hairs (anagen phase).
The hair loss treatment in Ayurveda is done by finding and rectifying its causative factor.
According to Ayurveda, excess of Pitta dosha in the body is increased by hot climatic conditions, excessive intake of spicy, fried food, tea, coffee, alcohol, meats, and excessive smoking. Pitta balancing herbs and vegetables are an effective hair loss solution.
The first step is to locate the root cause in your diet or lifestyle that may be increasing the Pitta dosha. In Ayurveda, this disorder is called Khalitya Paalitya. The tissues accountable for structuring the bones in the Human body are the same that hold the charge of hair growth.
Ayurveda offers some natural treatment of hair loss, as well as some oral herbal medication for controlling hair fall and promoting hair growth. Ayurvedic hair loss cure includes external therapies like Thalapothichil or covering the bald patches with medicated pastes, Shiroabhyanga or head massage, Shirodhara and Shiro abhyanga.
Ayurvedic herbs like Bhringaraj, Amla are known to promote hair growth and are used as hair loss medicines in form of oral consumption and as various external applications to get the optimum results.
- Shiro Abhyangam: Special massage that focuses on the scalp, shoulders, and neck, and stimulates hair growth by improving blood circulation. The Abhyangam or the Ayurvedic massage involves the use of medicated oils to relieve the targeted areas of stress and pain by acting on the central nervous system. Shiro Abhyanga is one of the best hair loss problem solutions in Ayurveda.
- Thalapothichil: Thalapothichil is a gentle head massage included in the hair loss treatment in Ayurveda which is done with Amla, Curd and Triphala paste application. The constituents of this paste contain healing properties that have a calming effect on the nervous system. The mixture is allowed to sit on the hair for 30 to 40 minutes so the medicinal herbs get absorbed in the hair and penetrate into the brain cells.
- Shirodhara: ‘Shiro’ refers to head and ‘Dhara to flow. The warms oils are poured on your head and your head is massaged. This increases circulation and leads to better hair growth.
- Takradhara- It includes a stream of medicated buttermilk poured on the forehead. The continuous flow of buttermilk on the forehead improves blood circulation and alleviates Stress by inducing sleep. Takradhara involves extensive sessions of patient and disease examination, diagnosis, counselling and post-treatment procedures. Takradhara, when incorporated with Abhyangam (massage), is known to strengthen the immune system.
- Kashayadhara- Kashayadhara involves the use of medicated decoction to be poured on the forehead and body. It creates an overall mental calmness and proves to be the best hair fall treatment in Ayurveda.
- Nasyam- Nasyam on a regular basis also promotes hair growth if practised for a long time. It is a nasal treatment where exact measures of herbal extracts are administered into the nostrils that serve as a passage to the head.
Home Remedies for Hair Loss
Hair loss treatment at home can be accompanied by following the below-listed natural home remedies:
- Use a natural shampoo to clean the hair. Amla (embilica officinalis), Shikakai (Acacia concinna) are very good for washing the hair.
- Oiling and massaging of the scalp is very beneficial for stopping hair loss.
- Rub your scalp after washing the hair. It increases blood circulation and activates the sebaceous glands.
- Applying juice of green coriander leaves on the head is also good.
- Washing the hair with a paste of cooked green gram and fenugreek (methi) two to three times a week is also good.
- A paste of liquorice made by grinding it in milk can be applied to bald patches.
- The seeds of fenugreek are soaked in coconut oil and kept under direct sunrays for seven days and applied to the scalp, which prevents hair loss.
- Massage 2-3 times a week with coconut oil. It is good to massage with the hot coconut oil and Mix Indian gooseberry in it and heat it until the colour of gooseberry turns dark brown.
- Aloe vera - Take fresh gel and apply it over the scalp, leave it for a few minutes and, then, wash it off. It is a cooling and soothing scalp cleanser, good for a heated-up scalp, associated with redness, itching, rashes or scalp pimples.
- Traditional therapies like Dhara, Abhyangam, Thala pothichil, Nasya shows excellent effects.
Preventions for Hair Loss
The hair loss can be reversed back at home without any medications also. For natural treatment of hair loss, you have to undergo various lifestyle changes and some preventive measures such as:
- Diet - High protein and an iron-rich diet is recommended for hair loss.
- An adequate intake of raw vegetables, fresh fruits, salads, green leafy vegetables should be included in the diet on a regular basis.
- The person should maintain a regular bowel movement every day. In case of constipation, a mild natural laxative can be taken. Triphala is very useful.
- Regular physical exercise is very beneficial as it helps in balancing the aggravated doshas.
Signs and Symptoms of Hair Loss
Gradual Thinning on Top of Head
Circular or Patchy Bald Spots
Sudden Loosening of Hair
Full-Body Hair Loss
Why To Choose Ayurveda?
Looks for the Root Cause
The ayurvedic approach of disease looks for the root cause and not merely the symptoms. Ayurveda offers two ways of treatment; One is Shodhan, and the other is Shaman. Shodhan is complete detoxification of the body by Panchakarma therapies. Shaman is balancing the doshas by Ayurveda medicines, diet, and lifestyle changes. Ayurveda medicines always work better in a patient detoxified with Panchakarma.
Ayurveda medicines are processed most naturally and not in the synthetic and chemical form. For this reason, the herbs are soft on the body, and there is no risk of side effects even if the patient requires to take them for longer durations. The complete eradication of the root cause ensures the cure and prevents future health complications.
Ayurveda is not merely a medical science. Instead, it is a philosophical science too. The basic principles of Ayurveda consider an individual human a specific identity and hence his treatment. Ayurveda gives importance to the treatment of the patient rather than the treatment of the disease. Two patients of the same disease can have different treatments because of the difference in their body constitution.