Let's Know about Jaundice
Jaundice is a common disease caused by the malfunctioning of the liver. It can happen to people from any age group due to some underlying problem related to the bile duct or liver. Though it is common, it needs proper treatment or the consequences may be life-threatening. Ayurveda offers an effective natural treatment for jaundice that treats the disease along with its underlying cause and overall health. It is a widely sought after stream of treatment as it assures the best results without any side effects.
Symptoms of Jaundice
A yellow tinge in the eyes and skin, pale stools, dark urine, itchiness in the body, abdominal pain, weight loss, vomiting, and fever are the leading symptoms of Jaundice. Visible symptoms of jaundice include:
- Pale stools
- Dark urine
- Constant fatigue
Types of Jaundice
Hepatocellular Jaundice, Pre Hepatic Jaundice, and Obstructive Jaundice are the three main clinical types depending on the underlying pathology.
Complications in Jaundice
Itchiness caused by jaundice is so bad that the patients start scratching their skin raw. They are unable to sleep and under intense cases might go for suicide. The complications are not just because of jaundice but the underlying problem that causes jaundice and all other symptoms. It is suggested to get in touch with the doctor without delay and start the treatment.
Diagnosis and Jaundice Treatment in Ayurveda
According to Ayurveda, the liver is the prime site of Pitta functioning. Because of poor eating habits or some other causative factors, the Vitiation of Pitta dosha leads to Jaundice.
Ayurvedic treatment for Jaundice can successfully correct the Pitta dosha functioning leading to normal bilirubin levels. In the initial stages of Jaundice, mild purgation stimulates the liver and increases the flow of bile.
An Ayurveda expert makes selective use of herbal medicines for Jaundice treatment that include Trivrit, Kutaki, Bhumyaamalaki, Punarnava, Aloe vera, Triphala, and many other herbs for this purpose.
Amla, Beetroot, Lemon, Bottle guard, Bitter guard, and Aloe vera are good for liver health and should be used daily as part of home supplements for jaundice patients. They are vital in the natural treatment of jaundice.
Preventions for Jaundice
Since the causes of jaundice are many, it is not possible to define any specific set of preventive measures for the disease. But on a large scale here are a few things that a person can do to keep jaundice at bay:
- If you are used to taking alcohol on a regular basis, jaundice is a sign that your intake is exceeding the limit. You must limit your alcohol intake not only during the treatment but even after recovery.
- Make sure to maintain a healthy weight as an overweight body is vulnerable to several health problems including jaundice. Also, people with a healthy weight can easily recover from jaundice as compared to those with weight issues.
- High cholesterol levels are also directly related to jaundice. So, try to keep a close watch on your cholesterol levels and improve them if they are beyond permissible limits.
Our Approach To Jaundice Treatment
Why To Choose Ayurveda?
Looks for the Root Cause
The ayurvedic approach of disease looks for the root cause and not merely the symptoms. Ayurveda offers two ways of treatment; One is Shodhan, and the other is Shaman. Shodhan is complete detoxification of the body by Panchakarma therapies. Shaman is balancing the doshas by Ayurveda medicines, diet, and lifestyle changes. Ayurveda medicines always work better in a patient detoxified with Panchakarma.
Ayurveda medicines are processed most naturally and not in the synthetic and chemical form. For this reason, the herbs are soft on the body, and there is no risk of side effects even if the patient requires to take them for longer durations. The complete eradication of the root cause ensures the cure and prevents future health complications.
Ayurveda is not merely a medical science. Instead, it is a philosophical science too. The basic principles of Ayurveda consider an individual human a specific identity and hence his treatment. Ayurveda gives importance to the treatment of the patient rather than the treatment of the disease. Two patients of the same disease can have different treatments because of the difference in their body constitution.
Diet and Lifestyle Changes for Jaundice
Alcohol, raw milk, uncooked food, poor hygiene, fast food, contaminated water, and self-medication can lead to severe liver complications and should be discouraged. Here are some diet recommendations that should be followed:
- Jaundice patient needs to start adding fruit juice in his diet for a week or two.
- Sugarcane, carrot, grapes, beetroot, pear, and lemon juice are a must for sugarcane.
- The food for jaundice patients should be cooked in an iron kadhai. It helps in the speedy recovery of haemoglobin levels.
- Drink lots and lots of water.
- Jaundice patients must get plenty of sleep as it helps in full and speedy recovery.