Kidney stones are hard and unwanted deposits made of minerals and salt that form inside your kidneys. The main reason behind these deposits is the accumulation and crystallization of minerals in the kidneys, as urine contains many dissolved minerals and salts.
Kidney stones can start small but can grow larger in size. The small stones normally make their passage along with urine but the large size stones fail to make their passage through the duct and start getting accumulated until the point when they start obstructing the urinary duct. This stone can therefore, be termed as kidney stones.
Types of Kidney Stones
Symptoms of Kidney Stones
A kidney stone will cause symptoms when it moves around within your kidney or passes into your ureter, the symptoms are as follows:
- Severe pain in the side and back, below the ribs.
- Pain that radiates to the lower abdomen.
- Pain may come in waves and fluctuates in intensity.
- Pink, red or brown urine.
- Pain on urination.
- foul-smelling urine.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Persistent need to urinate.
- Urinating more often than usual.
- Fever and chills if an infection is present.
- Urinating in small amounts.
Causes of Kidney Stone
Kidney stones usually have no definite, single cause, but several factors may increase the risk of kidney stones such as:
- Less consumption of drinking water.
- High intake of diet rich in protein, sodium or sugar.
- You have had gastric bypass surgery or another intestinal surgery.
- If your urine contains high levels of cystine, oxalate, uric acid or calcium.
- Any disease that causes swelling or irritation in your bowel or your joints.
- Medications – certain medicines, such as diuretics (water pills) or calcium-based antacids can cause kidney stones.
Ayurvedic Treatment of Kidney Stones
The kidney stones treatment in ayurveda includes certain facts that support the cause of kidney stones. According to Ayurveda, improper diet and lifestyle lead to aggravation of all three doshas and causing the formation of toxins (ama) in the body. These toxins will travel down the ducts carrying urine, where aggravated doshas combine with it, causing its crystallization and accumulation further leading to the formation of kidney stones. In Ayurveda, it is regarded as Vrukka Ashmari (vrukka means kidney and ashmari means stone)
The kidney stones treatment in ayurveda involves the use of diuretics and various stone-dissolving herbs in acute cases. The body is then cleaned and strengthened using toning and rejuvenating preparations. Panchakarma therapy is a very effective means of cleansing the body internally in order to regain its strength.
Along with the Ayurvedic kidney stones treatment in India some home remedies to cure kidney stone are-
- Soak 2 teaspoons of radish seeds in a glass of water, boil and reduce it to half. Strain and drink 1/2 cup of it twice a day to cure dissolving kidney stones.
- Take 60 grams of kidney beans. Crush these. Boil slowly for four hours in four liters of water. This liquid should be strained through fine muslin and then allowed to cool for about eight hours. Then, pour the liquid through another piece of muslin, without stirring. Drink this liquid once daily.
- Boil 10-12 basil leaves in 1 cup of water for 15 minutes. Mix 1 teaspoon of honey in it and have it twice a day.
- Regularly practice yoga poses, meditation, pranayama vs a sedentary lifestyle / too much exercise (in the case of a large stone, or hypertension).
The natural treatment of kidney stones can be done by following some preventive measures and lifestyle changes such as:
- Avoid tea, coffee, alcohol, cold drinks, pickles, fish, poultry, meat, spinach, and chocolate.
- Sour, heavy, and dry food should be avoided.
- Increase intake of fluids like water, juice, soup, lime water, etc.
- Drink Usually 1 to 2 liters of water per day.
- Increase uptake of barley, gram, ginger, and brown or parboiled rice.
- Avoid suppressing urges to urinate and defecate.
- Avoid consumption of too much salt.
- Reduce intake of meats, eggs, and poultry which are likely to increase the amount of acid in urine.
- Increase the uptake of whole wheat bread, vegetable proteins, pulses, and sprouted grains as these are a good alternative source of proteins, nutrients, and fibers that reduce the risk of kidney stone formation.
Why To Choose Ayurveda?
Looks for the Root Cause
The ayurvedic approach of disease looks for the root cause and not merely the symptoms. Ayurveda offers two ways of treatment; One is Shodhan, and the other is Shaman. Shodhan is complete detoxification of the body by Panchakarma therapies. Shaman is balancing the doshas by Ayurveda medicines, diet, and lifestyle changes. Ayurveda medicines always work better in a patient detoxified with Panchakarma.
Ayurveda medicines are processed most naturally and not in the synthetic and chemical form. For this reason, the herbs are soft on the body, and there is no risk of side effects even if the patient requires to take them for longer durations. The complete eradication of the root cause ensures the cure and prevents future health complications.
Ayurveda is not merely a medical science. Instead, it is a philosophical science too. The basic principles of Ayurveda consider an individual human a specific identity and hence his treatment. Ayurveda gives importance to the treatment of the patient rather than the treatment of the disease. Two patients of the same disease can have different treatments because of the difference in their body constitution.