Let's Know about Osteoarthritis
Osteoarthritis is the most common joint condition prevailing these days. With aging, the joints of the body like knee joints and hip joints start deteriorating as they lose their lubrication. This can cause pain, stiffness, and other symptoms. It occurs most often in older people, although it can occur in adults also. It is known to be the most common form of arthritis, affecting millions of people worldwide.
Causes of Osteoarthritis
The major causes of osteoarthritis are as follows:
Symptoms of Corneal Scar
The symptoms of osteoarthritis often develop slowly and worsen over time. The signs and symptoms of osteoarthritis include:
- Pain – The affected joints might hurt during any kind of movement.
- Stiffness – Joint stiffness may be noticeable in the osteoarthritis.
- Tenderness – Your affected joints might feel tender when you apply light pressure to it.
- Loss of flexibility – You might not be able to move your joint easily with a full range of motion.
- You might feel a grating sensation when you use the joint, and you might hear popping or crackling.
- Bone spurs – The extra small bits of bone, which feel like hard lumps, can form around the affected joint.
- Swelling – This might be caused by soft tissue inflammation around the joint.
According to Ayurveda, Osteoarthritis occurs due to aggravation of Vata Dosha and is known as “Sandhivata”. Sandhi means joints. For osteoarthritis treatment in ayurveda, the proper knowledge of its causes is needed. This osteoarthritis knee treatment then focuses on the aggravated doshas. The Vata dosha is aggravated by various reasons like improper diet, overexertion, injury, staying awake at night, stress, depression, etc. Apart from these, aging is a primary cause of Vata aggravation. Vata is dry in nature. When Vata gets vitiated in any of the joints, it dries up the lubricating fluid inside the joints, causes the destruction of the cartilage.
It gradually worsens with time, but osteoarthritis treatment in ayurveda can prevent the progression of the disease, relieve pain, rejuvenates the damaged cartilages, and improves the lubrication, function & strength of the joints.
Osteoarthritis knee treatment in Ayurveda includes Samanachikitsa and Shodhanchikitsa. Samanachikitsa includes oral ayurvedic medicine for osteoarthritis and its external applications. Shodanachikitsa includes Ayurveda Panchakarma therapies for detoxification and rejuvenation. Healthy diet habits & lifestyle are important in maintaining joint health.
The treatment can be divided into the following categories:
Effective Osteoarthritis Treatment in Ayurveda
Home Remedies for Osteoarthritis
The natural treatment for osteoarthritis involves some enlisted home remedies:
- Exercise and weight control.
- A high-quality diet may act as a natural treatment for osteoarthritis includes components such as- fish oil, ginger, green tea, glucosamine, etc.
- Practicing yoga.
- Building up muscles.
- Use warm sesame oil to massage the painful joints in the morning.
- Put one teaspoon of fenugreek in a cup of water and set aside overnight. Then the next morning, mix well and drink.
- Boil 10-12 slices of ginger in 8 cups of water for 5 minutes and let it steep for another 10-15 minutes. Drink this two times a day.
- Reducing stress.
- Lowering the risk of other conditions, such as cardiovascular disease.
- Other remedies can range from taking Epsom salt baths to using hot or cold compresses.
- Massaging daily can also help to cure osteoarthritis.