Slip Disc Treatment in Ayurveda
Get Slipped Disc Pain Relief and Prevent Slip Disc Surgery with Ayurvedic Treatment & Panchakarma
Consult for your disease now
Slipped Disc is a big fear. Actually, because the slipped disc will not be treated well on time, it may cause serious problems like disability as well as complete loss of sensation in the affected area. Although pain is not that serious but the problem of loss of sensation can occur. If it comes to the treatment of the problem, surgery always seems to be the last option. But one can get slip disc treatment without surgery in ayurveda.
Ayurvedic treatment for slipped disc is found more practical and substantial as therapy as compared to surgery.
How does Ayurvedic Treatment for Slipped Disc work?
First of all, we need to understand all the sorted ways to find what can be the possibilities for a slipped disc by Ayurveda.
Disc Represents: - Kapha dosha and Majja Dhatu.
Kapha is one of among three doshas. Kapha represents the lubrication and water content of our body. It is helpful for binding things together. The jelly inside the disc does the same thing. So, it is rich in kapha dosha.
Majja Dhatu is the dhatu that is responsible to keep the bones together.
So we need to work on these two aspects. We can get the proper result if we work conceptually on these two points. In other words, the degeneration of the disc is the loss of water content from the nucleus pulpous. In other words, dryness increases in the muscles.
The procedure of slip disc treatment in ayurveda: - The first thing is you need to visit an Ayurveda specialist and then devote yourself to the success of treatment. Any treatment is the best which is done according to the requirement of the body.
Here, in Ayurvedic treatment for slipped disc, we do Panchakarma. Panchakarma treatments are based on the requirement of the patient. The slip disc treatment in ayurveda includes virechana, Basti and Nasya from classical Panchakarma. There are some other procedures like- Shalwana Sweda, Updeha, Kati Basti, Greeva Basti, etc.
Most of all these procedures have oils and ghee. We use medicated ghee and oils. Oils have a great property to nourish the body. Oils take the medicines to the cell. As cells have a lot of fat, so when this fat associated with the layer, medicines work faster with fats on the body.
Besides the Ayurvedic and Panchakarma based treatments, we recommend yoga to manipulate the spine in a better way. So, Ayurveda is the best treatment not only for the slipped disc but also for all kinds of spinal disc problems. So, Prakash Nethralaya is a leader in the category of this sort of problem.
Basically discs are protective shock-absorbing pads between the bones of the spine. The cushion kind discs between the vertebral of the spine are also called intervertebral discs. Actually, they do not only slip but a disc may bulge, split or rupture. It can cause the disc cartilage and surrounding tissue to herniate. It also allows the central gel portion of the disc to break free into the surrounding tissue. The most frequently affected area in the low back but it is found that any disc can rupture and become herniated including the neck. Many times when the slipped disc compresses on one of the nerves emerging from the spine causing pain and numbness along the area of the affected nerve.
Diagnosis of Slip Disc
- The doctor will see a complete medical history and do a thorough physical examination with a special focus on the neurologic examination.
- The history of the patient will be included in other illnesses, prior spine problems, injuries, and arthritis. The examination includes tests of basic nerve functions, spine testification, an abdominal examination, and general screening.
- Basically no diagnostic tests are required for adequate treatment. In certain situations, laboratory tests of blood and urine can provide sufficient information to your doctor for a diagnosis. Sometimes these basic tests are required later if treatments fail to improve your condition.
- Imaging studies may include the following: X-rays and CAT (Computerized axial atomography) scans can only identify bone-related abnormalities. In most of the cares, the bones tested on X-ray are found normal.
- There are some more specialized tests including MRI (Magnetic resonance imaging) or myelogram (which includes injecting a contrast dye into the spinal section). These tests are ideal for diagnosing a deformed disc and to find how a specific nerve is affected. In the beginning these studies are not necessary but your doctor may obtain these tests if the course of treatment does not provide us relief after a duration of 4 to 6 weeks.
- A bone scan can also detect infection, healing fractures or tumors. This test is rarely needed in case of an emergency but maybe a part of your further evaluation to find out the cause of your symptoms.
There can be various causes and risk factors that lead to slipped disc. A slipped disc occurs mainly when the outer ring becomes torn and weak and it allows the inner portion to slip out. This can happen because of age slipped discs include aging with degeneration and loss of elasticity of the discs and supporting structures, injury because of improper lifting, especially by twisting and turning as well as excessive strain forces connected with physical activities. Sudden forceful acute (trauma) may be an uncommon cause of slipped disc.
Few more reasons
- Physically demanding jobs such as lifting heavyweights
The symptoms of slipped discs are based on the location of the disc affected. You can have a slipped disc problem in any part of your spine and from your neck to your lower back. A slipped disc is very common in the area of your lower back. Your spinal column is always an intricate network of nerves and blood vessels. A slipped disk places extra pressure on the nerves and muscles around it.
Symptoms of a slipped disc include:
- Numbness and pain, mainly on one side of the body.
- The pain extends to your legs and arms.
- Pain increases during the night or with certain movements.
- Pain worsens after long-standing or sitting.
- Pain while walking short distances.
- Muscle weakness.
- Aching, tingling and burning sensations in the affected area.
The pain in slipped disc can vary from person to person. Contact your doctor if your pain results in tingling or numbness and you are unable to control it.
There are mainly 4 types of slip disc :
- Disc Dehydration - In this stage outer layers of the disc become loose. This causes flattening of the disc with an increase of the diameter and loss of height. This is called a bulge.
- Disc Prolapsed - In this condition where the outer layer called the annulus fibrosis cracks and soft interior of the disc starts protruding through the outer layer. When this occurs, the prolapsed part of the disc tends to touch on the joining nerves and at this point, you start feeling pain and other symptoms.
- Disc Extrusion - At this stage, some part of the protruded nucleus pulpous starts pushing out through the outer part f the disc and gets detached.
- Disc Sequestration - At this point, the free fragment of the nucleus pulpous (the most internal part of the disc) manages to gel within the spinal canal.
You can opt for many non-surgical treatments in the condition of minor slipped disc by consulting your doctor. The treatment to cure slip disc can be done at home include the application of cold or hot packs. So, instead of taking pain medicines you can try.
- Applying Heat or Cold - Initially cold packs and after few days a gentle heat is needed or gives relief and comfort.
- Avoiding too much bed rest - Staying too much on the bed may lead to stiff joints and weak muscles. So, instead of taking rest continuously, you need to go for a short walk every 30 minutes.
- Resuming activity slowly - Resume your activities according to your pain. Make sure your movements are controlled and slow, especially when you are bending and lifting.
Alternative Medicines to cure slip disc
- Chiropractic - spinal manipulation has been found moderately effective for back pain which has lasted for a month. Rarely, chiropractic treatment of the neck may cause certain types of strokes.
- Acupuncture - Although results are less, in some cases, acupuncture appears to give relief in chronic back and neck pain.
- Massage - This therapy can also provide short term relief in dealing with chronic low back pain.
- Use proper lifting techniques. Do not bend at the waist.
- Maintain your weights as excess weight can put pressure on the lower back.
- Practice good posture while walking, sitting, standing and sleeping.
- Stretch yourself often if sitting for a long period of time.
- Never wear high heeled shoes.
- Maintain flexibility with strength through a regular exercise program.
- Stop smoking.
- Eat healthy and balanced meals.