Tinnitus is a condition in which one experiences ringing or another kind of noises in one or both ears. The source of these noises is internal as no one else can hear it apart from you. It is a common problem that affects 15-20% of the global population. If you are looking for a widely accepted approach, then you must look out for ayurvedic treatment for tinnitus. It is a widely accepted medical stream that promises an effective and natural cure for tinnitus.
What is Tinnitus?
Tinnitus is the medical term for the buzzing or ringing noise one hears in the ears. People report different kinds of sounds that vary from ringing to roaring, buzzing, whistling, hissing, etc. The patient only hears such sound internally and can be a frustrating experience. Sometimes, it interferes with the real sounds around the patient. In a long term, it may have adverse psychological effects on the patient and result in stress, anxiety, or depression. Tinnitus can affect people of all ages, however, it is a common occurrence in old age people.
Tinnitus is not a disease condition, but a symptom of another underlying pathology like age-related hearing loss, ear injury, circulatory system disorders, and neurological conditions.
Types of Tinnitus
Tinnitus can either be subjective or objective. A person suffers from objective tinnitus when the patient as well as others around him hear
Causes of Tinnitus
- Damage to the middle or inner ear is the most common cause of Tinnitus.
- Exposure to loud sounds, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, head and neck injuries, neck and brain tumours, muscle spasm in the inner ear, and age-related hearing loss.
- There are many drugs that may cause tinnitus. It includes large doses of aspirin, antimalarial drugs, certain antibiotics, and some anti-cancer drugs.
- Medical conditions like muscle spasms in the middle ear, Meniere’s disease can lead to a ringing sensation in the ears.
- Over-accumulation of earwax, sometimes, also interferes with normal hearing. It is categorised as tinnitus.
Symptoms of Tinnitus
- Ringing sound in the ear
- Feeling Giddiness
- Disturbed Sleep
Risk Factors and Complications in Tinnitus
Everyone has a different reaction to tinnitus. Some can manage with it while some find it hard to live a normal life with it. People with tinnitus also run the risk of:
- Memory issues
- Disturbed sleep
- Problem in focusing
- Irritability and Anxiety
- Problem with family life and work
Ayurvedic Treatment for Tinnitus
The examination of ear, neck, and head and audiological exams, a CT or MRI scans, is done to diagnose Tinnitus. According to Ayurveda, Vata aggravation is the leading cause of Tinnitus, which generates sound in the ear cavities. Therefore, the Tinnitus treatment in Ayurveda focuses on normalizing Vata Dosha.
Ayurveda therapies like Karna poorna (warm medicated oil ear drops), Kaval and Gandusha (oil gargling and withholding in mouth), Abhyanga (body massage), Shirodhara, Snehpaan, and Virechan are beneficial for Tinnitus treatment.
The Ayurveda therapies and medicines strengthen the nerves near the ear and balance the aggravated Vata dosha responsible for Tinnitus.
Diet and Lifestyle Changes
Ayurvedic Tinnitus medicines work better when the patient follows a regulated diet, lifestyle, and yoga exercises. Eat green vegetables, fresh fruits, dry fruits, nuts, and clarified butter in your diet.
Preventions for Tinnitus
- Avoid walking in a windy climate, suppression of natural urges, listening to loud music, and excessive use of electronic appliances.
- Long-term exposure to loud noises and music can also lead to tinnitus.
- Avoid smoking, coffee, alcohol, sour, salty, and spicy food.
- Exercise regularly and keep a check on the health of your cardiovascular system. Healthy blood vessels can reduce the chances of tinnitus which is closely related to the blood vessels.
- Exposure to loud sounds can easily damage the nerve in the ears leading to tinnitus and hearing loss.
Signs and Symptoms of Tinnitus
Ringing Sound in the Ear
Why To Choose Ayurveda?
Looks for the Root Cause
The ayurvedic approach of disease looks for the root cause and not merely the symptoms. Ayurveda offers two ways of treatment; One is Shodhan, and the other is Shaman. Shodhan is complete detoxification of the body by Panchakarma therapies. Shaman is balancing the doshas by Ayurveda medicines, diet, and lifestyle changes. Ayurveda medicines always work better in a patient detoxified with Panchakarma.
Ayurveda medicines are processed most naturally and not in the synthetic and chemical form. For this reason, the herbs are soft on the body, and there is no risk of side effects even if the patient requires to take them for longer durations. The complete eradication of the root cause ensures the cure and prevents future health complications.
Ayurveda is not merely a medical science. Instead, it is a philosophical science too. The basic principles of Ayurveda consider an individual human a specific identity and hence his treatment. Ayurveda gives importance to the treatment of the patient rather than the treatment of the disease. Two patients of the same disease can have different treatments because of the difference in their body constitution.