Urticaria is a very uncomfortable condition that can make your daily life quite difficult. If it reaches a chronic stage, the difficulties reach another level. Ayurveda refers to this disease as ‘Sheet-Pitta’ that is an inappropriate response to the environment. Ayurveda rectifies this condition with herbal medicines and natural therapies. Unlike conventional treatments, Ayurvedic urticaria medicines treat the condition by deep toxification and immunity boost up. It is a widely accepted approach as it leaves no side effects and ensures permanent relief from urticaria.
What is Urticaria?
Urticaria, also known as hives, is the appearance of red, itchy, skin-coloured welts anywhere on the body and is caused by an allergic reaction to certain substances or some environmental factors. Most of the welts fade in an hour to twenty-four hour time period.
In chronic cases of Urticaria, the welts appear for more than six weeks and frequently recur over months. Chronic Urticaria or chronic Hives is a very uncomfortable condition that affects sleep and daily life activities.
Causes of Urticaria
Common causes of Urticaria's include:
- Allergic reactions
- Food with chemicals
- Sunlight exposure
- The side effect of some medicines specifically the ones with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and antibiotics.
- Insect bites
- Food preservatives
- Intestinal parasites
- Extreme body temperatures
- Bacterial infections like strep throat and urinary tract infections
- Food items like wheat products, strawberries, eggs, food additives, shellfish, and nuts.
- Skin-irritating plants like poison oak, poison ivy, and nettles.
- Chronic illnesses like lupus and thyroid disease
- Pollen and latex
- Bees and wasp stings
- Kidney dysfunction
The basic reason for chronic urticaria is still unknown but usually, it is an autoimmune response.
Types of Urticaria
- Acute Urticaria: When the urticaria hives occur for less than six months it is Acute Urticaria. Due to strong medications, food items like eggs, fish, seafood, fruits, etc; respiratory allergen, infections, and psychogenic factors happen.
- Chronic Urticaria: This one lasts for more than six months and may continue up to years. It is caused by autoimmune disorders and hereditary factors.
Symptoms of Urticaria
Urticaria symptoms include red or skin-coloured welts anywhere on the body, severe itching, painful swelling on the eyelids, inside the throat, and around the lips.
Diagnosis and Urticaria Ayurvedic Treatment
Urticaria diagnosis includes a thorough physical exam along with details of your daily activities, medications, supplements, eating habits, and history of hives.
Ayurveda describes Urticaria as Sheetpitta. A weak digestive fire produces Aam (toxic undigested material), a harmful material that induces specific allergic reactions in the body, leading to Urticaria symptoms.
Ayurvedic Urticaria treatment aims to remove toxic material from the body. The treatment plan is devised according to the stage of urticaria. Panchakarma therapies used for this purpose include:
- Vamana and Virechana - It offers immediate relief from the symptoms.
- Medication - Herbal medicines like Haridrakhandam, patolakaturohinyadi, etc.
- Herbs: Herbs like Triphala, Nishotha, amrita, Katuki, nimaba, and Haridra are used for urticaria natural treatment.
Preventions for Urticaria
- Application of mustard oil or a soft paste of aloe vera gel over the skin and eating one teaspoon Triphala Choorna at night with warm water can relieve Urticaria symptoms at home.
- A patient of Urticaria should avoid spicy, salty, sour food, fast food, curd, non-vegetarian food, including eggs.
- Fresh and easily digestible foods, sufficient water quantity, and fruits and vegetables help in a speedy recovery.
- If your doctor has identified the trigger of urticaria, you must make it a point to avoid the trigger.
- Urticaria treatment is a long term process and its effects might be reduced if you skip your medicines. Make sure that doesn’t happen often.
- Make sure that your skin doesn’t get dry. Make sure you keep your skin moisturized and avoid taking frequent baths.
- Avoid wearing skin fitting clothes. Even your footwear needs to be open and comfortable. Tight-fitting shoes can lead to hives in your soles.
- If you are experiencing hives due to sunlight, make sure you ask your doctor for a vitamin D supplement.
- Urticaria hives are also triggered by emotional stress. If that is the case with you, try finding healthy ways to manage your emotions.
- Depression and anxiety are also known as triggers of chronic hives. Talk to a therapist if you must, that may really help in relieving some emotional pressure.
Symptoms of Urticaria
Red-colored welts on the body
Chronic Itching and Irritation
Swelling and Pain
Our Approach To Urticaria Treatment
A patient with Urticaria needs to consult with our Ayurveda doctor. A detailed evaluation of the diet, lifestyle, duration, and symptoms of the disease makes the basis of the prescription. In initial cases, the doctor prescribes Ayurveda medicines for Urticaria, diet, and lifestyle changes. The doctor may prescribe Panchakarma therapies like Vaman and Virechan in chronic cases, along with medications. Almost all the patients of Urticaria respond well to the Ayurvedic treatment. It may take about three to six months for a complete cure. A patient with Urticaria can consult with our Ayurveda expert either by visiting the hospital or online video consultation.
Why To Choose Ayurveda?
Looks for the Root Cause
The ayurvedic approach of disease looks for the root cause and not merely the symptoms. Ayurveda offers two ways of treatment; One is Shodhan, and the other is Shaman. Shodhan is complete detoxification of the body by Panchakarma therapies. Shaman is balancing the doshas by Ayurveda medicines, diet, and lifestyle changes. Ayurveda medicines always work better in a patient detoxified with Panchakarma.
Ayurveda medicines are processed most naturally and not in the synthetic and chemical form. For this reason, the herbs are soft on the body, and there is no risk of side effects even if the patient requires to take them for longer durations. The complete eradication of the root cause ensures the cure and prevents future health complications.
Ayurveda is not merely a medical science. Instead, it is a philosophical science too. The basic principles of Ayurveda consider an individual human a specific identity and hence his treatment. Ayurveda gives importance to the treatment of the patient rather than the treatment of the disease. Two patients of the same disease can have different treatments because of the difference in their body constitution.