Leucoderma or Vitiligo
What is Vitiligo?
Vitiligo or Leucoderma is a chronic skin disease identified by skin losing its colour.
Vitiligo develops due to the dysfunctioning of the melanin (responsible for determining the colour of hair and skin) producing cells.
The area of skin affected by vitiligo and its rate of expansion is highly unpredictable. White Pigmentation on Skin shows the affected part.
Leucoderma or Vitiligo can affect any part of the body including the inside of the mouth, nose, and hairs.
But normally it affects both sides of the body and skin exposing to the sun have more chances to get affected.
The disease gets more noticed in people with darker skin. A person affected from vitiligo may feel stigmatized, stressed and self- conscious due to social stigma.
There are mainly 2 types of Vitiligo :
In non-segmental vitiligo, skin gets affected by both the sides and in segmental vitiligo, skin gets affected by only one side.
The area of the skin affected with vitiligo or leucoderma keeps on expanding with time in non-segmental vitiligo and in segmental vitiligo, the disease doesn’t spread further.
The disease is said to be caused by changes in the immune system, environmental factors or hereditary factors.
Vitiligo Causes and Risk Factors
Leucoderma or Vitiligo develops when the cells responsible for producing pigments are no longer functional or dies. Although specific causes of vitiligo are not known yet it is generally believed to cause due to the following reasons :
- Heredity Factors - A person having a family history of the vitiligo disease has more chances of being affected by it.
- Variations in Genes - Certain variations in the genes associated with the immune system and melanocytes are also considered as main vitiligo causes.
- Immune System - Immune system attacks and eliminates the melanocytes of the skin causing the disease.
- Autoimmune Diseases - Some autoimmune diseases are being associated with leucoderma or vitiligo disease.
- Inflammatory Diseases - Some inflammatory diseases are said to be a causing factor of the disease.
- Stress - A regular period of stress may cause the disease.
- Viral Causes - Some viruses can affect a person with the disease.
- Neural Causes - Neurological causes are also been associated with vitiligo or leucoderma.
- Exposure to Chemicals - A person with exposure to harmful chemicals is said to be at risk of skin disease.
- Sunburn - Excessive sunburn is dangerous for the skin and may cause the infection.
The symptoms of vitiligo often appear before adolescent. The patches of the skin don’t cause any pain and itching.
The severity of vitiligo or leucoderma differs from person to person as some people have some small spots or you can say white pigmentation on skin whereas in some cases the larger area of the skin is covered.
Some common signs and symptoms which can be seen in the person affected by leucoderma or vitiligo are :
- Pale patchy areas of depigmented skin mostly start from the part of the body exposed to the sun.
- Loss of skin colour inside the mouth and nose.
- Loss of colour of the retina.
- Whitening of hairs in beard, eyebrows, eyelashes, and scalp.
- Spots are easily visible on body orifices.
- The affected person may have depression or other psychological disorders.
- The sensitivity of the skin to sunlight.
- Hearing loss is possible.
- Vision problems.
- Tear production in the eyes.
Can Leucoderma Be Cured Completely?
Yes, Leucoderma or Vitiligo can be cured completely and only through Ayurvedic treatment. As Ayurvedic treatment cures the root problem of the disease facilitating a permanent and complete cure.
Vitiligo treatment in Ayurveda uses panchakarma procedures like Vamana, Vasti, Dhara and Virechana to cure the disease.
Vitiligo is a very deeply rooted and chronic disease but with hard work, dedication and cooperation (between doctor and patient) it can be cured permanently.
100% natural and ayurvedic treatment is the permanent cure for Vitiligo.
Conventional Vitiligo Treatment
There are many side-effects of vitiligo treatment in modern science as it’s a very complex disease. A person affected from it may face many side-effects after conventional treatment methods.
There are a lot of treatment options that focus on reducing the visibility of leucoderma or vitiligo. Some of the common treatment options available under conventional treatment are :
- Immune Mediators - Medications which act as immune mediators are given to the affected person.
- Applying inflammation controlling creams.
- Depigmentation - The unaffected skin is made lighter in appearance to make it look like the affected skin.
- Applying sunscreen on the skin.
- Psoralen and Phototherapy - Skin is exposed to UV lights to make its colour look normal.
- Skin Camouflage - Skin is camouflaged with make-up techniques.
- Topical corticosteroid use has shown significant skin restoration.
- Skin Grafting - Skin from other parts of the body is used in the affected areas.
- Tattoos - To cover small areas tattoo can be used as they can hide the affected areas easily.
- Blister Grafting - Blisters are created on the coloured skin and then pasted on the affected skin.
- Vitiligo Laser Treatment - With harmful in some sense, laser treatment can remove the white pigmentation on skin to just make you look pretty, but can't cure the disease.
Vitiligo Treatment in Ayurveda
According to Ayurveda Vitiligo is a Tridoshaj disease. As disturbance in all the 3 doshas causes Leucoderma or Vitiligo.
Vitiligo or Leucoderma ayurvedic treatment uses ayurvedic medicines made from natural herbs with medicinal qualities. These natural herbs are very effective in the complete cure of leucoderma.
Ayurveda also uses ayurvedic panchakarma therapies like Virechana, Vasti, Dhara and Vamana in natural treatment for vitiligo as they strengthen the inner organs of the body.
Vitiligo is a deep-rooted chronic disease which has to be tackled accordingly, Ayurveda uses yoga and healthy lifestyle changes to assist best vitiligo treatment in India.
With hard work and cooperation between patient and doctor, the deep-rooted effects of vitiligo can be easily removed after some session of Leucoderma ayurvedic treatment.
With the use of natural ayurvedic medicine for vitiligo or leucoderma, panchakarma therapies and some lifestyle changes, effective and guaranteed treatment of vitiligo in India is available and can permanently cure the disease with no chance of returning.
Vitiligo Preventions and Lifestyle Changes
By taking some precautions and adopting healthy lifestyle changes a person can see significant improvement in health. To keep the disease in control and to stop it from spreading more some healthy lifestyle changes are necessary to be adopted.
Not only ayurvedic treatment for vitiligo works itself. All the factors work together, lifestyle changes and prevention measures are necessary to get complete relief and permanent cure.
Here, know how to prevent Vitiligo and know some lifestyle changes to adopt :
- Skin Protection From Light Sources (sun and artificial sources) - The skin should be kept protected from sun rays by wearing sunglasses and applying sunscreen. Other body parts should also be carefully covered.
- Skin Camouflage Techniques - Visibility of the affected skin can be reduced by using make-up techniques.
- Avoid Tattoos - Making a tattoo can cause new patches of skin to appear.
- Avoid Non-Compatible Food like milk with curd,non-veg food items, salt.
- Avoid salty, sour and spicy food.
Home Remedies For Vitiligo
Vitiligo treatment at home can prove beneficial in particular situations. Home remedies can be useful sometimes as they are very economical in use and all the necessary ingredients can easily be found in the kitchen of a typical home.
But a patient should keep in mind that home remedies for vitiligo should not be used as a permanent solution of the disease.
- Take Bakuchi powder. Mix it with an equal quantity of turmeric powder. Consume 1 tsp of this combination twice daily with warm water. This combination can be applied externally on the white patches for 30 min. daily by making a paste with warm water.
- Get educated about the disease.
- Seek family and friends support.
- Join support groups with people suffering from the same disease.
Key Points & Final Thoughts On Leucoderma Or Vitiligo
- Vitiligo is a chronic skin disease identified by loss of colour in the skin and white pigmentation on
- It can be caused by hereditary factors as well as environmental factors. The exact vitiligo cause is unknown but is said to be caused by a disorder in the immune system, heredity, and autoimmune diseases.
- The most common leucoderma or vitiligo symptoms is the loss of natural colour of the skin and appearing of white spots on
- Vitiligo is not a contagious disease.
- Permanent cure is only possible only by Vitiligo treatment in Ayurveda.
- There’s no permanent cure in conventional leucoderma or vitiligo treatment and most of the conventional treatment options have very harmful side-effects.
- As a permanent cure for vitiligo is possible only in Ayurveda. The natural treatment for vitiligo has a very sleek process and is completely natural and free from any side-effects.
- Keeping strict precautions like maintaining a safe distance from the sun rays can be very useful.
- Home remedies for Vitiligo such as Bakuchi powder and family support can prove very beneficial for the affected person.