What is Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding (DUB)?
Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding(DUB) is an abnormal uterine bleeding in a woman without any cause in which there is an abnormality in the duration, amount and frequency of menstrual blood which results in menorrhagia without any systematic or local disease.
Dysfunctional uterine bleeding is usually common around the menarche and perimenopause. It often occurs when the lining or endometrium of the uterus is stimulated to increase by the hormone estrogen. The endometrium gets continued to grow if exposure to estrogen is not balanced by the presence of progesterone. After that it sloughs off and causes irregular heavy bleeding.
Diagnosis of Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding
Few certain questions will be asked by your doctor to diagnose DUB about the menstruation cycle and other medical history. The history of taking any medication such as birth control, etc., needs to inform your doctor because such medicines may cause abnormal bleeding.
- Ultrasound :- An ultrasound is recommended by your doctor to view your reproductive organs.
- Blood Test :- It is used to measure the level of your hormone which gives quick insight to the cause of the bleeding. It also reveals the count of red blood cells as low red blood cells indicate anemia.
- Endometrial Biopsy :- The doctor may take the sample of uterine tissue for testing to see any abnormal cell changes. It reveals hormonal imbalance or cancer among all the things.
Causes of Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding (DUB)
The main causes of dysfunctional uterine bleeding include:
- Excessing Fasting for a very long period of time which increases vata and pitta doshas. Both the doshas are related to menorrhagia.
- Excess of sexual indulgence also leads to increase in vata dosha.
- Intake of spicy food leads to pitta dosha increase and causes heavy menstruation.
- Stress and anxiety also cause this problem.
- Intake of food including deep penetrative nature like asafetida, mustard, garlic etc. and heavy exercise also cause heavy bleeding.
Other Causes of DUB
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome(PCOS) :- It is an endocrine disorder which causes to produce excess of sex hormones. It leads to an imbalance of estrogen and progesterone making the menstrual irregular.
- Endometriosis :- It results when the lining of the uterine grows outside the uterus and causes heavy bleeding during periods.
- Uterine Polyps :- The growth of polyp within the uterus can also cause DUB and spotting between periods.
- Uterine Fibroids :- These are small growth of polyps with in uterus lining and muscles. The causes of uterine fibroids are unknown.
Symptoms of Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding (DUB)
The main and common symptoms of DUB are excessive and heavy bleeding during your normal periods and suspicious spotting. It also includes:
- Bleeding which contains various and large clots.
- Heavy menstrual bleeding.
- Bleeding continues more than seven days.
- Bleeding happens in less than 21 days from the last cycle.
- Bleeding between periods.
Other Symptoms which occurs with DUB are:
- Breath tenderness
- Pelvic pain or pressure
If you feel any symptoms below, contact to your doctor
- Low blood pressure
- Pale skin
- Increased heart rate
- Passing large clots
- Soaking a pain every hour
Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding Treatment in Ayurveda
In ayurvedic text, DUB is elaborated as Asrigdhara. It is caused mainly by vitiation of pitta dosha with vata and raksha dhatu. There are various treatment processes in ayurveda for DUB like Internal treatment with medicines, external treatment, Panchakarma, positive lifestyle, proper diet and many more.
Panchakarma for DUB:- For the treatment of DUB, Panchakarma includes five therapies mainly like basti, virechana etc. which makes the body rid of toxins. External treatment includes yoni prakshalana (vaginal cleansing), Pichu (vaginal sterilization including medicated ghee and oil), Avagaha Sweda (Sits bath), Chakra Basti (application of ayurvedic medicine around the naval area), Abhyanga (massage with warm herb medicated oil) and Takradhara (treatment with buttermilk) help the patient immensely.
Ahar(Food) for DUB :- The Kashya and Madhur Rash rich food is always preferable in DUB.
Vihaar (Lifestyle changes) for DUB :- Lifestyle of the patient is completely specific to the patient's nature of work, constitution and other geographical conditions.
Home Remedies for Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding
- Use of saffron added in your diet gives you a great relief in DUB.
- Bark powder of Asoka tree with milk also provides a good result.
- Nagakesara ( Messua FerraStamens) and Usheera ( Vittiver zizanoides root) are taken into fine powder with butter and sugar candy. This relieves you even in severe menorrhagia.
- The medicated paste of Lajjalu (Touch me not plant) with tandaulodaka (rice washed water) or fresh juice of Doorva (cynodon dactylon) are also there to cure the problem of Rakta Pradara.
- Use of raisins in the diet helps in balancing pitta and reduces bleeding during periods.
- Any bleeding disorder can make the patient worried and panic and causes her health to deteriorate further. So, you need to consult your doctor only in the initial stage which helps to a great extent.
Preventions for Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding
Basically Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding is the result of unpredictable hormonal changes.
- First of all reduce your weight as it helps prevent irregular menstrual bleeding.
- Irregular menstrual bleeding can cause a low level of iron in blood which is anemia. So, increase the amount of iron in your diet.