Normal vaginal discharge helps to maintain the health of vaginal tissues, offer lubrication, and keeps them safe from irritation and infection. The consistency, colour, and amount of vaginal discharge vary according to the stage of the menstrual cycle. But leucorrhoea is a disturbing situation that is physically uncomfortable and a sign of serious underlying problems. Ayurveda offers an effective leucorrhoea cure that treats the problem in a long term without any side effects.
What is Leucorrhoea?
Leucorrhoea is a whitish, yellowish, or greenish discharge from the vagina. It is normal to experience vaginal discharge before menstruation and during sexual stimulation. This discharge is normal for vaginal lubrication. Abnormally high secretions have pathology behind them and can cause several complications.
That is why the patient requires treatment for leucorrhoea at the earliest. The condition can be quite embarrassing if characterized by foul-smelling vaginal discharge with severe itching and irritation. Leucorrhoea can also be a pointer to various gynaecological conditions and even leads to infertility. Hence, it requires early evaluation and treatment.
Types of Leucorrhoea
Leucorrhoea is generally of two types:
- Physiological: Physiological leucorrhoea is a common problem with most women. It is a natural defence mechanism used by the vagina to maintain its chemical balance and keep the flexibility of vaginal tissue intact. The discharge in physiological leucorrhoea keeps changing all along the cycle. It is mostly thin, clear, and odourless and increases when you are close to having your periods. It is normal and isn’t a cause of concern.
- Inflammatory Leucorrhoea: It is a painful condition that occurs when there is congestion or vaginal swelling. The affected area produces a yellow coloured discharge that has a very foul smell and is a clear indication of infection. The problem needs the doctor’s attention and needs to be treated without delay.
Causes of Leucorrhoea
The common causes of Leucorrhoea are
- Bacterial or fungal infection
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)
- Irritation due to mechanical factors like copper t and other intrauterine devices
- Excessive use of tea, coffee, fast food, mental stress, or work pressure.
- Some systemic medical conditions, like anaemia and T.B., can also lead to this condition.
Symptoms of Leucorrhoea
The common symptoms include
- Excess yellowish or curd-like vaginal secretions
- Foul smell
- Painful urination
- Vaginal bleeding
- Lower abdominal pain
- Severe vaginal itching
- Feverish sensation
- Irritable behaviour
Prakash Nethralaya follows a holistic approach and provides effective relief in all these symptoms with Ayurvedic Treatment of Leucorrhoea.
Diagnosis and Leucorrhoea Treatment in Ayurveda
Diagnosis is confirmed by a detailed clinical history and a physical examination if required. The Ayurveda doctor prescribes a few blood tests if needed to confirm the diagnosis.
Leucorrhoea is described in Ayurveda in detail under the heading of "Pradar Rog". An increased Kapha level due to reduced digestive fire is the root pathology of Leucorrhoea as per Ayurveda classics. Toxins infiltrate the Ras dhatu at the level of vaginal and uterine channels.
Ayurveda’s natural treatment for leucorrhoea demands certain changes in lifestyle, diet habits, peace of mind and proper hygiene. Ayurvedic leucorrhoea medicines work alongside on a deeper level to treat the root cause of the problem and increase the system’s immunity against any repetition in near future.
Lifestyle and Diet Changes for Leucorrhoea
Have light and easily digestible foodstuffs like vegetables, fruits, juices, salads, and freshly cooked warm meals.
Refrigerated food items, junk food, tea, coffee, alcohol, tobacco, fatty foods, and spicy food items tend to increase the problem and be discouraged.
Preventions for Leucorrhoea
- It is important to keep your reproductive organs clean. Wash them carefully while bathing and try not to leave any moisture when you dry after a bath. You must clean your vagina after urinating.
- It is suggested to avoid self-medication as many women are allergic to medication without knowing. The use of any such medicines might increase the infection or add some more complications.
- Women undergoing leucorrhoea treatment must avoid sugary foods like ice-creams, custards, sweets, and pastries.
- Keep yourself hydrated as much as possible because water is capable of flushing out most toxins.
- Spicy and hot food items should be reduced in the diet.
- Include curd in your daily diet as it helps in easy digestion and has plenty of lactic acids that bring down the discharge.
- Always wear clean innerwear and clean them with a good detergent that has good fungicidal and bactericidal properties.
- Always change your clothes including undergarments if you get wet in the rains or due to any other reason.
- Avoid wearing nylon or synthetic undergarments as it retains sweat in the genital area. Wear cotton undergarments.
Symptoms of Leucorrhoea
Curd like Vaginal Discharge
How We Treat Leucorrhoea with Ayurvedic Treatment
Natural Leucorrhoea Treatment
A patient of Leucorrhoea consults with our female Ayurveda doctor to find the root cause of the disease. A patient can do this even with online video consultation or in the hospital. The treatment of leucorrhoea in ayurveda varies from patient to patient according to numerous factors and on the Individual's Prakriti. The doctor prescribes medicines after a thorough evaluation of the patient, along with diet and lifestyle suggestions. The total duration of leucorrhoea ayurvedic treatment is about 4-6 months. A few patients may require panchakarma therapies like vasti or vaginal washing by herbal douches.The doctor also advises self-care, personal hygiene, and nutrition, which can improve the chances of faster recovery and prevent a recurrence.
Why To Choose Ayurveda?
Looks for the Root Cause
The ayurvedic approach of disease looks for the root cause and not merely the symptoms. Ayurveda offers two ways of treatment; One is Shodhan, and the other is Shaman. Shodhan is complete detoxification of the body by Panchakarma therapies. Shaman is balancing the doshas by Ayurveda medicines, diet, and lifestyle changes. Ayurveda medicines always work better in a patient detoxified with Panchakarma.
Ayurveda medicines are processed most naturally and not in the synthetic and chemical form. For this reason, the herbs are soft on the body, and there is no risk of side effects even if the patient requires to take them for longer durations. The complete eradication of the root cause ensures the cure and prevents future health complications.
Ayurveda is not merely a medical science. Instead, it is a philosophical science too. The basic principles of Ayurveda consider an individual human a specific identity and hence his treatment. Ayurveda gives importance to the treatment of the patient rather than the treatment of the disease. Two patients of the same disease can have different treatments because of the difference in their body constitution.