The liver is connected to a number of other organs, tissues, and systems throughout the body. Ayurveda provides us with ancient, yet incredibly relevant views on these relationships, which can help us to better understand better how to support the liver.
For the fatty liver treatment in ayurveda, we need to identify the disease on the basis of Ayurveda. Ayurveda describes the liver as a hot organ. This signals a close relationship between the liver, Agni (the fire principle), pitta dosha, and the energy of transformation. For the Natural treatment of fatty liver disease, the ayurvedic professional needs to identify the cause of the disease in the context of Ayurveda. In Ayurveda, the fatty liver is caused due to the vitiation of pitta dosha. This will help professionals in fatty liver natural treatment. There is a various fatty liver treatment in Ayurveda listed below:
- Abhyangam (Ayurvedic Self-Massage) - The practice of abhyanga is deeply detoxifying for the liver and the body itself. It settles the nervous system, calms and nourishes the skin, promotes healthy circulation, helps to lubricate and rejuvenate all of the tissue, and supports cleansing and detoxification throughout the system, thereby supporting the liver.
- Moon Bathing - Whenever there is overactive heat or excess pitta in the body, moon bathing is extremely cooling and soothing. Simply go outdoor and exposed to moonlight after the sun has set.
- Bhumyamalaki - Bhumyamalaki is the classic Ayurvedic herb for liver support. Not only does it have a particular affinity for the liver, but it is very dry, light, bitter, cooling, soothing, and cleansing—making it deeply pacifying to both pitta and Kapha, and supportive when there is excess heat in the digestive tract in general. Its action helps to cleanse, detoxify, and strengthen both the liver and the gallbladder.
- Kutki - Kutki has a deep cleansing action on both the liver and the gallbladder, supporting healthy liver function and the proper flow of bile. Kutki is also very supportive of the spleen. This herb balances both pitta and Kapha and supports proper immune function systemically. Because it has been severely over-harvested, Banyan sources only sustainably cultivated kutki.
- Triphala or Amalaki - Triphala is referred to as one of the best medicine for fatty liver treatment in ayurveda, as it increases the flow of blood to the liver and thereby reducing the chances of fat accumulation.
- NadiShodhana pranayama – One of the best ancient fatty liver treatments in ayurveda is to follow a proper routine including the nadishodana pranayama and yoga. NadiShodhana pranayama is incredibly calming, and soothing to the mind, the nervous system, and effectively balances vata, pitta, and kapha.
Your liver is the largest organ in your body. It helps in processing the nutrients from food and drinks and filters toxic substances from your blood. It is a fact that some amount of fat is quite genuine inside the liver. But if this fat continuously accumulates and forms nearly 5% to 10% of the liver weight then it can generate severe complications within the body. Too much fat in your liver can cause liver inflammation, which can damage your liver and create scarring.
Experts don't know exactly why few people accumulate fat in the liver while others do not. However, there are some factors that can be linked to fatty liver disease:
- Overweight or obesity.
- Insulin resistance, in which your cells don't take up sugar in response to the hormone insulin.
- Sleep apnea.
- High blood sugar (hyperglycemia), indicating type 2 diabetes.
- High levels of fats, particularly triglycerides, in the blood.
- For ALD, the cause is too much alcohol.
- Have chronic viral hepatitis, especially hepatitis C.
- Genetic causes - Have genes that make you more likely to get it.
- Age - the older you are, the more likely it becomes.
With ALD and NAFLD, there are usually exact symptoms. Some people may have signs such as:
- Swollen belly.
- Skin and eyes that appear yellowish, due to a condition called jaundice.
- Tiredness in the body.
- Pain or discomfort in the upper right abdomen.
- Possible signs and symptoms of NASH and advanced scarring (cirrhosis) include:
- Abdominal swelling.
- Enlarged blood vessels just beneath the skin's surface.
- Yellowing of the skin and eyes (jaundice).
There are 2 main types of fatty liver disease: nonalcoholic and alcoholic fatty liver disease and 1 rare type of fatty liver disease.
- Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD) - It includes the simple nonalcoholic fatty liver. It can occur in someone who doesn’t drink a lot of alcohol, it’s known as non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. NAFLD is increasingly common around the world, especially in Western nations. NAFLD is increasingly common around the world, especially in Western nations.
- Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (AFLD)- This type of fatty liver develops when in someone who drinks a lot of alcohol, it’s known as alcoholic fatty liver disease (AFLD). In this type, the fatty liver is accompanied by liver inflammation.
- Acute Fatty Liver of Pregnancy (AFLP) - Acute fatty liver of pregnancy (AFLP) is a rare but serious complication of pregnancy. The exact cause is unknown. When AFLP develops, it usually appears in the third trimester of pregnancy. If left untreated, it poses serious health risks to the mother and growing baby.
Lifestyle changes are the first-line fatty liver natural treatment. Depending on your current condition and lifestyle habits, it might help to:
- Always prefer low-fat oils in the food.
- Perform yoga daily to maintain a healthy weight.
- Reduce your alcohol intake.
- Eat a nutrient-rich diet that’s low in excess calories, saturated fat, and trans fats.
- Get at least 30 minutes of exercise on most days of the week.
- As lemon water is a robust source of anti-oxidants, it is considered a liver stimulant and helps to encourage liver detox while supporting bile output. So drink lemon water daily.
- Herbal Support - Many herbs in the Ayurveda has known for good herbs for a fatty liver natural cure with their pacifying pitta, clearing accumulated heat, cleansing the blood, encouraging the flow of bile, and detoxifying the liver. Ghee and aloe vera gel is often used as liver-cleansing herbs.
- Aloe Vera Gel - Aloe vera gel is profoundly cooling, and has a particular affinity for balancing excess pitta—both internally and externally.
If you have fatty liver disease, your doctor might encourage you to adjust your diet to help treat the condition and lower your risk of complications.
- Limited Drinking: Limit or avoid alcohol.
- Protect yourself from hepatitis C: This viral liver infection can make you more likely to get cirrhosis if you drink.
- Eat healthy food.
- Choose a plant-based diet with lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and healthy fats.
- Stay at a healthy weight.
- If your weight is unhealthy, work to maintain it by choosing a healthy.
- Exercise - Get a workout most days of the week. Talk to your doctor first if you haven't been active in a while.
- To prevent fatty liver and its potential complications, it’s important to follow a healthy lifestyle.
- Eat a diet that’s low in saturated fats, trans fats, and refined carbohydrates.
- Take steps to control your blood sugar, triglyceride levels, and cholesterol levels.