Everything you want to know about Dry Eyes and its Treatment
- Dry eyes are simply the lack of moisture in the eyes. This can happen either because of the reduced tear secretion or because of the poor quality of the tears. The quality of the tears can be affected because of disturbances of salt and water balance or blockage of meibomian glands (Meibomian Gland Dysfunction)
- The causes for dryness in the eyes are dusty climate, excessive stay in air conditioning or heating system, watching tv, mobile and computer screen, prolonged use of contact lenses, smoking after LASIK surgery, cataract surgery, eye allergy, chemical exposure, poor sleep, mental stress, and aging.
- A few cases of dry eyes are also seen in association with allergic reactions, other metabolic disorders, and autoimmune diseases. It includes Sjogren syndrome, Steven johnson syndrome.
- The symptoms of dry eyes include pain, watering, redness, foreign body sensation, headache, blurred vision, and sensitivity to light.
- Abhishyanda and Shushka Akshipaka are the diseases mentioned in Ayurveda. These comprise of different symptoms based on the disturbances of Vata, Pitta, and Kapha doshas.
- Ayurveda treatment emphasizes the balance of three doshas. Ayurvedic oral medicines, Ayurvedic eye drops, diet, and lifestyle changes along with powerful panchakarma therapies are done to cure dry eyes permanently.
- Use of fast food, aerated cold drinks, wrong sleeping patterns, mental stress will increase the symptoms of dry eyes and should be discouraged.
- Use of clarified butter (Ghee), optimum hydration of the body reduces the symptoms and should be encouraged.
- Generally, 3 weeks of panchakarma treatment followed by Ayurveda medicines for about 6 months to a year are required in severe cases of dry eyes. Initial cases can be cured without panchakarma by Ayurveda medicines only.
- A few very advanced and complicated cases of dry eyes do not have any permanent cure but Ayurveda treatment will help them to maintain the condition effectively.
- Doing warm compress over the eyes, putting cow ghee in eyes at night, and putting sesame oil 3 drops in both nostrils empty stomach in the morning will certainly prevent the chances of dry eyes.
Symptoms of Dry Eyes
Pain and Foreign body sensation
Redness and watering
Headache and thick secretions
Our Approach To Dry Eyes Treatment
In Early Cases
In the early stage, the dosha imbalance is not too much. Hence, the patients are given oral ayurvedic medicines and ayurvedic eye drops along with diet and lifestyle changes. The patient is examined based on the clinical history and symptoms and a line of treatment for dry eyes is decided. The patient requires to continue ayurvedic medicines for about 4-6 months. This is how early-stage patients are treated.
In Advanced Cases
In advanced cases of dry eyes, Panchakarma therapies and specialized eye treatments are used for the deep cleansing of the body. The major procedures used for dry eye treatment in Ayurveda are Snehpana, Virechan, Nasya, Netradhara, Shirodhara, and Tharpana. Patients are advised to stay in an Ayurvedic eye hospital for 3 weeks followed by Ayurveda medicines, diet, and lifestyle changes. The total duration of the Ayurvedic treatment for Dry Eyes may vary from 6 months to a year.
Why To Choose Ayurveda?
Looks for the Root Cause
The ayurvedic approach of treatment looks for the root cause and not merely the symptoms. There are two ways of treatment; Shodhan, and Shaman. Shodhan is a complete detoxification of the body by Panchakarma therapies. Shaman is balancing the doshas by Ayurveda medicines, diet, and lifestyle changes. Medicines always work better in a patient who has been detoxified with Panchakarma.
Ayurveda medicines are processed in the most natural way and not in the synthetic and chemical form. This is for this reason that the medicines are soft on the body and there is no risk of side effects even if the patient requires to take the medicines for longer durations. The complete eradication of the root cause ensures the cure and prevents future health complications.
Ayurveda is not merely a medical science. Rather, it is a philosophical science too. The basic principles of Ayurveda consider an individual human a specific identity and hence his treatment. Ayurveda gives importance to the treatment of the patient rather than the treatment of the disease. Two patients of the same disease can have different treatments because of the difference in their body constitution.
Preventions for Dry Eye Patient
8 Precautions that a patient of Dry Eye can follow
- Take breaks during long hours of working on the computer screen.
- Avoid direct air contact with the eyes and use an air purifier.
- Wear sunglasses, so that the eyes can be protected from bright sunlight.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol.
- Blink more while working on a computer screen.
- Keep the moderate temperature of the room and avoid dry climates.
- Limit the use of gadgets (laptops, smartphones, tablets, etc).
- Always clean your makeup before sleeping.
Success Stories of Ayurveda
Thousands have experienced relief after treatment at Prakash Nethralaya
Get long-term relief from your problems.