Provide natural lubrication to dry eyes with Ayurvedic Eye Treatment and Panchakarma Therapies
Consult for your disease now
Prakash Nethralaya is the best ayurvedic hospital for ayurvedic treatment of Dry Eyes, other eye diseases and general diseases.
Is it possible to cure dry eyes permanently?
Yes, it is possible to cure dry eyes permanently with the help of ayurvedic treatment. An ayurvedic eye specialist finds the root cause of the problem and treats the dry eyes disease with a holistic approach. The doctor uses ayurvedic medicines and panchakarma therapies for the treatment of dry eyes.
Ayurvedic Treatment of Dry Eyes
According to Ayurveda, dry eye is mainly caused by the imbalance of Vata Dosha. Sometimes, Pitta is also associated with Vata. Therefore, the condition becomes worse. The treatment process starts with fixing this imbalance. Hence, Ayurvedic medicines and Panchakarma therapies are used for the lubrication of the eyes and for purification of the body. By following the treatment principles, natural tear formation increases.
Dry Eyes treatment in Ayurveda is done at two levels depending upon the clinical stage.
1. In the early stage, patients are given oral ayurvedic medicines and eye drops to remove the symptoms of dry eyes. These medicines are given for about 4-6 months and gradually the normal tear secretion starts.
2. In the advanced stage of the treatment process, Panchakarma therapies and specialized eye therapies are used for the deep cleansing of the body. The medicines improve the quality and quantity of tears. The major procedures used for the Ayurvedic treatment of dry eyes are as follows:
- Kizhi swedan
Patients are advised to lead a healthy lifestyle to avoid the symptoms. The duration of treatment for dry eyes is 3 weeks at an Ayurvedic eye hospital. It is followed by medicines for about 6 months to a year depending on the condition of the patient.
Dry eyes are simply the lack of moisture in the eyes. This can happen either because of the reduced tear secretion or because of the poor quality of the tears. In these conditions, tears get evaporated very fastly. The tears in the eyes help in vision by providing moisture and lubrication to the eyes.
Dry eye sometimes affects cornea and conjunctiva resulting in complications related to vision. The patients of dry eyes syndrome are increasing globally. It is due to the stressed lifestyle of today’s corporate world with disturbed eating habits, odd sleeping hours and increased use of electronic gadgets like TV, mobile phone and computer.
Causes for Dry Eyes depends on many factors including climate, daily routine, etc. Some major causes are described here:
- Dusty/dry/windy climate
- Excessive stay in air conditioning or heating system.
- Staring at the TV, mobile or computer screen for longer duration without blinking is a big reason for dryness of eyes.
- Prolonged use of contact lenses
- Dryness of Eyes by side effect of some medicines. (Steven Johnson Syndrome)
- Smoking or use of Tobacco in any other form.
- People can get dry eyes after LASIK surgery, cataract surgery or any other eye surgery.
- Due to certain medications like those prescribed for anxiety, allergy, heartburn, etc.
- Pregnant women are at more risk of getting dry eyes.
- People with certain diseases like arthritis, thyroid, etc.
- Aging process.
- Vitamin A deficiency is also one of the main causing factors in getting dry eyes.
Some of the common symptoms of dry eye are summarized below:
- Red eyes
- Burning of eyes
- Gritty feeling in the eyes( feels like there is something inside your eyes)
- Mucus formation in the eyes or area surrounding the eyes.
- Excessive tear formation in the eyes.
- Pain in the eyes.
- Stinging sensation in the eyes
- Headaches and Blurred vision
- photophobia (sensitivity to light)
You should consult an eye specialist for the proper diagnosis and further treatment if you experience any of the above-mentioned symptoms. After taking proper guidance, you can cure the disease easily.
For the treatment of dry eyes, there are some home remedies that can be used in the initial stages.
- Do hot fomentation over the closed eyelids by dipping cotton or cloth in the solution made from 1 bowl of water and 2 pinches of boric powder.
- Apply filtered cow ghee in the eyes only at bedtime.
- Put sesame oil 3 drops in both nostrils daily morning empty stomach.
- Increase the intake of Ghee (Clarified butter) in your diet but only if you are not affected by any metabolic disease.
A patient of dry eye can adopt many precautions and healthy lifestyle changes. It will eliminate the risk of disease or control the disease to let it complicate further. Some of the common precautions are as follows:
- Take breaks during long hours of working on the computer screen.
- Avoid air to contact the eyes directly.
- Wear sunglasses, so that the eyes can be protected as much as possible.
- Avoid smoking
- Use an air purifier in the home.
- Start blinking more whenever you are looking at a screen.
- Keep the temperature of the room moderate.
- Avoid visiting dry climates as much as possible.
- Limit the use of gadgets(laptops, smartphones,tablets,etc).
- Always clean your makeup before sleeping.
- Make a habit to clean the eyes regularly.