What diet and Lifestyle modifications do you need if you have PCOS?
PCOS is one of the most common endocrine disorders in a female of the reproductive period. In a survey, 70% of females who have ovulation problems and irregular menstruation suffer from PCOS.
In PCOS, patients have multiple small cysts in their ovaries. Ovary gets enlarged and makes an excessive amount of estrogen and progesterone hormones. These hormones interact with the eggs’ growth and rupture, resulting in an anovulatory cycle and menstruation irregularities.
How does Ayurveda Work for PCOS?
According to Ayurveda, Vata, Pitta, and Kapha’s normal functioning play an essential role in the ovarian cycle’s normal functioning and the vitiation of doshas in the menstrual disturbance.
PCOS is a Kapha disorder, and Vata and Pitta are the vitiating factors. All these three doshas circulate and perform vital functions in the whole body.
Many Ayurvedic Herbs, home remedies, diet plans, and lifestyle changes can strengthen the reproductive system and help treat PCOS by controlling insulin resistance and balancing the hormonal level.
Diet and Lifestyle Changes for PCOS
1. PCOS Diet
- Avoid eating sweets or other sugary foods. Sugar increases Kapha. Instead, you can use honey. avoid fried or oily food items.
- Try to Avoid refrigerated foods, white bread, pasta, cold drinks, fast food, staple food, and processed food.
- Make sure to eat the most decadent meal at breakfast. Plan your meal timings and strictly follow them.
- And, avoid using milk or milk products except for buttermilk. Low-fat milk is a better option with a pinch of ginger or turmeric powder. Avoid dairy products.
- Eat almonds, walnuts, and other dry fruits in your diet. Include fruits like pineapple, orange, lemon, sweet lime, papaya, blueberries, strawberries, grapes, and pear regularly.
- Stop using oral hormonal contraceptives.
- Increase the number of vegetables like carrots, broccoli, lettuce, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, cauliflower, celery, and spinach.
- Quit smoking, alcohol, and other narcotic agents altogether. Control negative thoughts and practice yoga so that you can get rid of mental stress and tension.
- Use of Ayurvedic herbs like cumin seeds (jeera), cinnamon, apple cider vinegar, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds, and sesame seeds to increase the metabolic fire and to reduce the Kapha levels in the body.
- Aloe vera juice and Amla juice daily in the morning can help reduce the ovarian cyst’s size and activate the whole reproductive system.
2. Polycystic Ovary Syndrome physical exercise
- Do regular exercise like walking and running.
- Do all the exercises to reduce body weight, especially the lower abdominal exercises to reduce belly fat.
3. Yoga and Pranayama for PCOS
- Yoga is a mindfulness process that helps mind relaxation and mood balance. Exercises like walking, cycling, jogging, and swimming can help patients with PCOS, but Yoga has a broad spectrum of benefits.
- Surya Namaskar is the best and all-round exercise that will help to reduce excess body fat. Yoga helps to lower testosterone levels.
- Daily, one hour of yoga therapy can help balance the hormonal level and controls symptoms of anxiety and depression in women with PCOS.
As mentioned earlier, the home-remedies and Ayurveda medicines can help improve the symptoms in women with PCOS. Most of the patients can find a significant improvement in a period of one to three months of Ayurvedic Treatment for PCOS.
Panchakarma therapies are also required in advanced PCOS cases, like Vaman, Virechan, Vasti, and Nasya. Panchkarma does the complete purification of the body and ensures a complete and permanent cure of PCOS.