"Of All Sense Organs, Eye is The Most Important!"
However educated and rich the man is, if he does not give the required care for his eyes, he will not be able to make a difference between day and night and his life will be useless with all his dreams and desires going waste..." Ayurveda holds the magic wand that has the potential to cure many dreadful diseases of the eye which are directly responsible for vision loss. Some of the eye diseases are Diabetic Retinopathy, Pathological Myopia, Macular Degeneration, Retinitis Pigmentosa, Optic Atrophy, Keratoconus, Dry eyes, Glaucoma, Blepharospasm, Uveitis, eye allergy, and many others also.
Shalakya Tantra is the special branch that deals with Opthalmology in Ayurveda. It describes the diagnosis and ayurvedic eye treatment of 76 diseases. The description mentioned in ayurvedic texts is highly scientific according to the modern parameters. The time tested scientific approach of Ayurveda provides optimum rejuvenation to the retina and optic nerves. Ayurveda states that most health problems are the result of the vitiation of all three doshas and all treatments aim to restore the lost balance between these life-sustaining forces. The modern-day lifestyle provokes the accumulation of cellular toxicity in the form of 'Aam' This toxic Aam blocks the normal flow of the fluids, essential nutrients and the waste material in and out of the cells. The increased cellular resistance leads to disturbed functioning of the sense organs including the eye.
Ayurveda being holistic in nature aims to correct the normal cellular physiology, reducing the resistance in the flow of things. Eye treatment in Ayurveda holds an upper hand as it does not have any side effects, natural in nature and the results are long-lasting and even permanent cure can be expected in few diseases.
Ayurvedic Management of Common Eye Diseases
- Diabetic Retinopathy - Diabetic retinopathy is the most common diabetic eye disease and a leading cause of blindness. It results from changes in retinal blood vessels that lead to blood leakage. These changes finally lead to a group of symptoms like blurred vision, floaters in the field of vision, seeing black spots in the field of vision, and sometimes sudden loss of vision of one or both eyes. There can be macular edema also that can lead to a sharp reduction of vision. In a conventional system, treatments like laser photocoagulation and some injections are used to prevent the leaking blood vessels. The effect of these procedures is generally temporary. The disease recurs leading to a reduction of vision gradually. Ayurvedic treatment for Diabetic Retinopathy which is now available in Jaipur, India can be better than the conventional systems as the treatment is non-invasive, natural in nature, and has a long-lasting effect.
- Myopic Degeneration - In this condition, myopia rapidly progresses so that in early adult life there may be myopia of 6 D or more. Pathologic myopia is at high risk for retinal detachment and macular changes. This is caused by the separation of the retina as a result of abnormal elongation of the eyeball. This will cause a varying amount of blurred vision. There develops a tractional force over the retina due to its anatomical shape which ultimately can lead to retinal tear either in the form of small retinal holes or a big retinal detachment. The progressive degenerative disease can lead to major complications in vision if not taken care of timely. Laser treatment for a prophylactic strengthening of the retina is done in a modern conventional medical system if there is any sign of a retinal hole or a weakened retina. Ayurvedic Eye Treatment Strengthens the retina to prevent wear and tear, the progressive increase in the power of the glasses along significant improvement in the vision.
- Glaucoma - Glaucoma is a group of eye disorders with various signs and symptoms in which the optic nerves are gradually damaged due to increased eye pressure. The damage in the optic nerves can cause a permanent reduction in the side (peripheral) vision and ultimately the blindness. Other signs and symptoms may be a pain in the eyes, watering from the eyes, and difficulty to face light (photophobia). Glaucoma is such a disease in which there occurs weakening of the optic nerves progressively that can finally lead to blindness. This weakness in the nerve can be either because of the high eye pressure or sometimes even with normal eye pressure (Normal-Tension Glaucoma). In a conventional system, eye drops are used to reduce eye pressure but there are limited treatments to strengthen the weak optic nerves. The Ayurvedic eye treatment includes specific therapies to strengthen the damaged vision and optic nerves. There can be a possibility of some improvement also in vision.
- Age-Related Macular Degeneration - Age-Related Macular degeneration is a medical condition usually of older adults that results in a loss of vision in the center of the visual field because of damage to the retina. It occurs in “dry” and “wet” forms. It is a major cause of visual impairment in the elderly. The photoreceptor cells in the macular area become weak and lose their potential to transform the visual current to the brain. This dryness in the macular area may result in leakages sometimes due to the tortuosity of the blood vessels under the macula. The excessive pressure caused due to the tortuosity and the weakness due to age may result in leakage of fluid or blood from the blood vessels under the retina leading to macular edema. Ayurvedic eye treatment can control this condition in the early stage itself and can prevent complications like macular edema. The regular Ayurvedic treatment for ARMD works in 2 stages. The first is to strengthen the retinal cells and the second is to prevent the leakage from the weakened blood vessels by improving their strength. These two targets can be well achieved by means of Ayurveda therapies.
- Retinitis Pigmentosa - Retinitis pigmentosa (RP) is a group of genetic eye conditions. In the progression of symptoms for RP, night blindness generally precedes tunnel vision by years or even decades. RP is a type of progressive retinal dystrophy, a group of inherited disorders in which abnormalities of the photoreceptors (rods and cones) or the Retinal Pigment Epithelium (RPE) of the retina lead to progressive visual loss. There is no sure shot remedy for this dreadful disease in any system of medicine. Ayurvedic eye treatment can provide some relief by doing the overall cleansing of the body using the powerful Ayurveda and
- Dry Eye - Dry eye is simply reduced moisture or lubrication inside the eyes. There are many reasons for dry eyes starting from excessive use of electronic gadgets like tv, mobile, and computer screens to unhealthy eating habits and disturbed sleep patterns. The quality and the quantity of tears gets compromised leading to poor lubrication inside the eye leading to a series of symptoms like foreign body sensation, pain, redness, and burning of the eyes. Ayurvedic eye treatment can improve the quality as well as the quantity of the tears maintaining the normal environment of the eyes. Ayurveda medicines and therapies along with ayurvedic eye drop for dry eyes can prevent the further recurrence and relapse of the disease leading to a permanent cure.
- Uveitis - Uveitis is an autoimmune disease having a variety of symptoms sometimes mistaken as dry eye or eye allergy or conjunctivitis or acute stage of glaucoma. There is no specific cause of the disease but a number of factors can aggravate it. The unhealthy eating habits stressed lifestyle, and non-fulfillment of materialistic targets of life creates such an environment in the cellular functioning of the body that a series of inflammatory reactions start in the body. When these reactions attack the eye tissue then it is called uveitis. Ayurveda eye treatment for uveitis comprises detoxification of the cellular toxicity leading to alteration of positive psychology of the cells which ultimately leads to a reduction in the inflammatory reaction. The recurrent nature of the disease requires rigid changes in lifestyle and food habits as per the positive guidance of your consultant.
- Eye Floaters: Eye floaters aren’t harmful on a small scale. However, increased activity of eye floaters is considered a symptom for serious health problems like diabetic retinopathy, hypertensive retinopathy, etc. The eye floaters treatment in Ayurveda involves their classification in two distinct groups: the harmless floats and those associated with serious ocular pathologies. The Ayurvedic treatment for eye floaters revolves around balancing the function of Vata. Several therapies like Netra tharpanam, Sirodhara, Siro abhyanga, etc are some of the prime treatment procedures used for treating this problem.
Ayurveda Procedures for Eye Treatment
In Ayurveda, there is a specialized branch called Shalakya Tantra in which the diagnosis and treatment methods for eye diseases has been explained. There are many powerful therapies explained in Ayurveda for the treatment of eye diseases. All the procedures are aimed to detoxify the body as a whole as well as the eye in specific and to rejuvenate the retina and optic nerves. The procedures like Anjana, Nethradhara, Shirodhara, Shirovasti, Virechan, and Tharpanam etc. helps to correct the vitiated metabolism of the eye tissue and to strengthen the retinal cells and optic nerves. The disease in the eye is caused due to the vitiation of the doshas and hence the treatment also aims to correct their normal levels in the body. The ayurvedic eye treatment approaches in two steps.
- Stage of Purification - It aims to cleanse the body at the cellular level and to remove the metabolic wastes out of the body.
- Stage of Rejuvenation - It helps in the correction of metabolic abnormalities and reinvigorate the optic nerves and the retinal cells.
- Nethradhara – A filtered herbal decoction is poured into the eyes from a specific height to wash off the eyes for approx. 15 minutes. This procedure cleanses the channels (Srotas) of the eye and does the aam pachana (detoxification at the cellular level) reducing the physical symptoms.
- Tharpanam – This is a powerful therapy for the rejuvenation of the eyes. The paste of gram is put around the eyes in such a way that it gives the appearance of a dam. The medicines which is generally a medicated ghee is then poured in the eyes for a specific time prescribed for the specific disease condition. The active ingredients of the ghee medicine get absorbed through the vascular supply of the eye and start the regeneration process of retina, eye muscles, and optic nerves and the vision is restored.
- Shirodhara – The Patient lies down on the dhara table in the straight sleeping position. Medicine is then poured on the forehead continuously for a period of 45 The medicine options can be herbal decoctions, buttermilk, milk, medicated oils. This selection again depends on the disease condition. The procedure is highly powerful and is used for the strengthening of the nervous system as a whole by increasing the blood flow in the eyes. It can also be used in many of the degenerative conditions of the brain. It is good to induce sleep and reduce stress levels by providing deep relaxation.
- Shirovasti – Shirovasti is a procedure having the same indications as that of Shirodhara. In this process, the medicine is kept inside a leather bag which is tightly fitted on the forehead of the patient. The temperature of the medicine which is generally a medicated oil is also maintained at an optimum level.
- Nasya - Medicated oils or the herbal decoctions are poured inside the nostrils empty stomach in the morning. Nostrils are the door to the brain and the medicine which is directly poured inside the eyes can reach the deeper tissues of the brain very easily. This is used in the multiple diseases of the brain and the eye.
- Virechana - This is medically controlled purgation which is very powerful to eliminate the doshas out of the body. This dissipates the excessive heat of the body by generally 10-30 loose motions as per the requirement of the level of the toxicity in the body. This is good for eye diseases also as eye is the site of pitta. It needs to be carried out under professional guidance.
- Anjana and Aschotanam include the application of medicine inside the eyes.
By adopting Ayurveda as a system for the treatment of eye diseases it is not only possible to prevent the progression of a disease but also to improve up to a significant level in many cases. Ayurveda is a time tested science and does not have any of the side effects because of the natural origin of the medicines and the therapies. Ayurveda is always contributing to humanity in its own scientific way in the great mission of moving from dark to light.
To Know more, talk to our doctor. Dial +91-8396919191