Slip Disc (Sciatica) is a problem that has been haunting people for a very long time. It is a problem that is related to the spine. As you might already know, the spine is made of bones which are known as vertebrae. There are a total of 26 bones and between two bones, there is a disc known as the intervertebral disc and it works as a shock absorber. This disc is made up of two parts, the outside part, which is a ring that is very tough and on the inside, there is a gel-like composition. When the outside disc becomes soft due to some reason and the inner material peaks out of the disc, it is known as a slipped disc. This condition is also known as a herniated disc.
What Are The Reasons For Slip Disc?
This is a disease that is inevitable but can be slowed down. The people most prone to it are listed below :
- People age 35 to 45 are more prone to it. This is because as the body becomes older, the bones become weaker.
- People involved in work that requires heavy lifting can suffer from this disease.
- Smoking and drinking can cause an early onset of this disease.
- A person might suffer from slip disc if he or she has been in an accident.
- People who are obese also tend to get this disease as their back has to carry the extra weight.
Slipped Disc Symptoms
The symptoms of slip disc vary as per the location of the problem.
Slipped disc in the neck
- Numbness felt in hands
- A burning feeling in the area of problem
- Arms, neck, and shoulder pain
Lower back pain/sciatica symptoms and upper back pain
- Burning sensation in the lower back
- Weak muscles in back and legs
- Feeling of pain in back and neck
Treatment Of Slip Disc in Ayurveda
All sciatica treatment and upper back pain treatment in Ayurveda revolves around oils and massages as relaxing nerves is the priority for ayurvedic treatment of sciatica. And hence, Ayurveda is able to do the treatment of slip discs without surgery.
- Kativasti: This word is made of two words Kati and vasti where Kati means waist area of the human body and vasti means pouch-like arrangement. In this ayurvedic treatment of sciatica, mildly hot oils are used on the back of the person with a light massage to make the person feel better. It is done for 5 to 7 days for 40 to 50 minutes, as per the doctor’s prescription. It does not have any side effects as being the best ayurvedic treatment of sciatica.
- Abhyanga: This is a slow massage with rhythmic movements that are done for an hour with the help of warm oil and two massage providers. It helps to relax your mind and body and also puts your body in harmony. The oils help to nourish your body. Trained experts do this ayurvedic treatment of sciatica and it would not cause any side effects.
- Kizhi: Warm poultices made of therapeutic herbs and medicated oils are used to massage the body of the patient in this practice. The oils get absorbed into the skin and the accumulated toxins are removed via this massage.
- Dhanyamla Dhara: The former word means body and the latter word has the meaning continuous flow of liquid. In this, warm oil is poured into a vessel that is hanged over the affected areas in a rhythm. This lasts for 45 to 60 minutes and needs to be done for 7 to 12 days as per the doctor’s orders.
Some ayurvedic medicines are also part of the ayurvedic treatment of sciatica. A few medicines in Ayurveda that are used to cure herniated disc are listed below:
- Gandharvahastadi kashayam
- To get rid of the Vata from your system, take 5 grams of Triphala Churna with lukewarm water at night before sleeping.
- If your lower back hurts, take Gandharwahastadi Castor oil (5to 10 ml) before eating food. This should be done 1 or 2 times a day as per doctor’s orders.
To get Sciatica pain relief, consult Ayurveda Specialist today at Prakash Nethralaya and find slip disc treatment in ayurveda. Prakash Nethralaya has treated thousands of patients with a slipped disc in the back and slipped disc in the neck.