Depression is a common mood disorder prevailing these days. This is a mood disorder that affects how a person thinks, feels, and behaves. Despite the prevalence of depression, many people are unaware of the fact that there are many different types of this disorder and that they can have many different symptoms other than simply feeling sad.
There are many different types of depression, some of which are caused by any kind of trauma or event in your life, and others by chemical changes in the brain. Here are some common forms of depression.
These Different Types of Depression are Listed Below -
1. Major Depression-Major depressive disorder, or unipolar depression, is characterized by a constant feeling of sadness or a lack of interest in external activities. This classic depression type is a state where a bad mood is capable of consuming and you may lose interest in activities. The major symptoms of this type include disturbances in sleeping patterns, changes in appetite or loss of weight, energy, and feeling worthless.
2. Persistent Depressive Disorder-Persistent depressive disorder or Dysthymia is a long-term type of depression that may last for years and can interfere with your daily life.
The symptoms include feelings of sadness, loss of interest in activities, irritability, and feelings of guilt, etc.
3. Bipolar Disorder- Bipolar depression is a type of depression that occurs when the person experiences depressive episodes. This disorder can cause various mood swings to the person. In this type, you may have to go through periods of unusually high energy or activity. The symptoms are quite uncommon from the depression symptoms such as- high self-esteem, decreased need for sleep, activity at higher speed, and feelings of Hopelessness.
4. Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a type of depression related to the change of season. If you experience depression, sleepiness, and weight gain during the winter months but feel perfectly fine in spring, you may have a condition known as a seasonal affective disorder, currently called major depressive disorder with a seasonal pattern.
The symptoms of SAD include - heaviness in arms and legs, frequent oversleeping, and Cravings for carbohydrates.
Light therapy is a natural treatment that can help in treating this SAD. For this, you'll need to sit in front of a special bright lightbox for about 15-30 minutes each day.
5. Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) – This is a type of anxiety disorder. It may lead to the feeling of unwanted and continuous thoughts, urges, and fears. These cause you to do repeated behaviors or things that you hope will ease the stress. For example, cleaning the tidy places, again and again, will somehow make you feel relaxed.
Depression types that are unique to women
Although women are at higher risk for general depression, they are also at risk for two different depression types that are influenced by reproductive hormones—perinatal depression and premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD).
6. Peripartum Depression or Perinatal depression- This type of depression includes various depressive episodes that occur during pregnancy or in the few months after delivery that is also known as postpartum depression. Its symptoms are more severe and longer-lasting. Signs and symptoms of PPD include Low mood, feelings of sadness, mood swings, trouble in bonding with your baby, Appetite changes, Feeling helpless, and hopeless.
7. Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) – This type of depression is quite common in women and is a hormone-based mood disorder. It can occur during the second half of the menstrual cycle and is called Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder. The core symptoms of PMDD are depressed mood and anxiety, few behavioral and physical symptoms also occur. The symptoms of PMDD may include fatigue, Feeling sad, hopeless, or anxiety, Mood swings, irritability, and increased appetite.
Natural Treatments for Depression
There are a lot of ways to overcome depression. Ayurveda can help you cure depression completely. But, along with depression treatment in Ayurveda, Some lifestyle changes and natural procedures needs to be followed which are as follows:
1. Get exercise regularly-
If you are suffering from depression, it is time to focus on both your mental and physical health. The mind-body connection plays a key role in depression. Being in depression it is very difficult sometimes to get up and move to places. But getting up and moving can have some major positive effects on your mental state. Exercising releases various hormones into the body, which helps you to relax and improve your mood. It also increases your body temperature, which can have a soothing effect on the central nervous system. You should make a habit to exercise regularly in order to curb depression.
2. Eat a healthy diet-
Diet, exercise, and depression go hand in hand in case of maintaining mental and physical well-being. The basic diet to treat depression includes a low-fat diet, especially omega-3s, and folic acid. You should also avoid alcohol and minimize caffeine use. People have a tendency to eat junk food or overeat while they are in grip of depression. Eating a healthy, balanced diet can do much to improve your mood. Chocolate has also been shown to make people happy. Omega-3 fatty acids can also lower cholesterol and improve cardiovascular health. Sources of omega-3s are walnuts, flaxseed.
You find it Useful, Share This:
3. Get plenty of sleep -
Depression often worsens with the sleep disorders of your body. Therefore, getting plenty of high-quality sleep is necessary for both mental and physical health. People with insomnia have a high risk of worsening depression compared to those who sleep well.
4. Change your surroundings-
If your surroundings are the reason for getting you down, then you must change them. You should rearrange the furniture in your room, open up the curtains for more sunlight, or often try repainting your room. You should do what you can to make your surroundings look new and exciting. You should also move outside and take a brisk walk, as Nature has a calming effect in creating a positive mood. Being exposed to sunlight also can increase productivity, health, and happiness. You should do something fun, like indulge in various activities that bring you joy.
5. Set goals –
Being in a depressed phase, you feel yourself to be at the lowest point. Therefore at that point, you just need something to work toward to make yourself calm. You should set small targets and try to fulfill them, this will not only make you feel better but will also help in making yourself positive towards life. That’s why goals can be very valuable in overcoming depression. These goals or small targets can be as simple as going outside at least once a day or doing yoga every day. Such simple goals can help you get into a new routine.
To Know more, talk to our doctor. Dial +91-8396919191