Eyes are our doorway to the world. It would be a dark world if our eyes fail us. They also happen to be the most delicate sensory organs that need extra care and precaution. Ayurveda suggests a holistic and natural approach to eye care. The medicines and remedies used under Ayurveda can rectify and improve eyesight for a lifetime. In this blog, we are summing up the methods and applications involved in Ayurveda for eye improvement.
Eye diseases and poor eyesight is a common occurrence in the present-day world. Polluted, unhealthy, sedentary lifestyles combined with infinite hours on screen have increased the speed of eyesight deterioration. Kids as small as 5-6 years old have started suffering from nearsightedness or farsightedness. Pollution and genetically modified food have changed the basic chemistry of nutrients that are now interfering with the basic biology of our organ systems. Diabetic retinopathy, corneal scars, cataracts, dry eyes, eye allergies, and squint are a few problems, to begin with. It is crucial to remember what defines a good vision and what can and should be done to achievehttps://www.ayurprakash.com/diseases/eye-diseases/diabetic-retinopathy/ it.
Ayurveda categorises natural eye care into three parts:
- Natural Treatment
- Natural Food
- Natural Lifestyle
How do they work? Let’s find out.
Ayurvedic Treatments For Eyesight
Usually, eyes get attention only when one experiences a problem and seeks treatment for them. Our eyes bear with an unaccounted amount of stress and overuse which isn’t realized till they force us to visit a doctor. Further, diseases like diabetes, ageing, and glaucoma increase the impact on the eyes. Ayurveda states that eyes too are related to elements that make up the universe. The muscles present in our visionary system are dominated by the earth element, the eye colour is governed by air, eye whites with water, and blood vessels are governed by the fire element. The tear ducts and space in the eyeball is defined by space elements.
In terms of dosha, eyes are part of the Pitta dosha. Alockaha Pitta governs our vision and it degrades as we age resulting in poor vision and eye problems. The Shalakya Tantra suggests that eyes must be washes and bathed with fresh cold water every morning. Most of the Ayurvedic eye treatment for eyesight use traditional herbs and medicinal therapies like Panchakarma. The duration and application of these procedures vary according to disease, age, and extent of the disease.
Apart from this, there are certain daily remedies recommended for improvement and maintenance of a healthy eyesight. These are simple remedies that can be undertakend by anyone on an everyday basis:
- Amla: Indian gooseberry is one of the richest sources of Vitamin C, antioxidants, and several other nutrients on a daily basis. It plays a crucial role in improvement of retinal functioning. If one consumes 2-5 teaspoons of amla juice with warm water every morning, it can restore defective vision. Daily consumption is recommended for healthy eyes and good vision.
- Coriander is a rich source of Vitamin B and several other nutrients. It is also known for improving vision if taken with honey every morning.
- Haritaki: A well known herb, it is used in almost all Ayurvedic medicines for eyesight improvement and rectification.
- Vibhitika: Akin to amla and haritaki, it is a proven medicine for raising haemoglobin levels in blood and improving eye sight.
- Triphala Powder: It is the mixture of amla, harad, and bhehda that work wonders for human body. Triphala is capable of reversing all ageing effects provided you consume it daily as part of your lifestyle. One teaspoon of triphala in morning or before bed can cure all health problems and diseases by root including eye problems.
- Almonds, black pepper and honey: This mix is a boon for people suffering with weak eyesight. Soak 4-5 almonds overnight and in morning take them with 2-4 crushed black pepper and a glass of warm milk. It is one of the most effective medicines for improving eyesight.
- Cow’s Ghee and Milk: it is a physically benefitting substances that cures both Vata and Pitta dosha. Since our vision is governed by Pitta dosha, cow’s milk is extremely useful in curing most eye diseases and weaknesses.
- Panchakarma Therapies: Though they are not needed unless you suffer from serious eye problems, some Panchakarma therapies are considered extremely useful in maintaining healthy vision. Therapies like tarpan can be very useful in improving vision and removing toxins from the problems.
Ayurvedic Lifestyle for a Healthy Eyesight
Ayurveda suggests natural aahar (diet) and vihaar (lifestyle) for general well-being. In terms of diet, it focuses on removing junk, genetically modified, and chemical based food from diet. A fibre rich diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables is considered ideal for healthy eyes and vision. This needs to be combined with a balanced lifestyle.
A balanced lifestyle is not completely stressfree or natural lifestyle. Our present scenario has very less scope for a 100% natural environment, so the normal balance of life can be restored by finding some good mediums that channelize stress and exertion in a natural way. With respect to eyes, you can always try the following:
- Rest: Have you ever seen a bird or an animal with a poor eyesight? Eagles, lions, fishes, and mammals hardly every miss their targets which proves they have accurate vision. It is because they follow the nature’s laws of work and rest. The human race has forgotten those rules which is why we suffer with countless problems. Rest is suggested as one of the best Ayurvedic medicines for eyesight. Our eyes weren’t made to stare at screens for hours without breaks. If you can incorporate optimum resting periods between your working hours, it will go a long way in maintaining the health of your eyes.
- Exercise: Just like all other body parts, our muscles too need regular exercising and movement. You can always adopt some simple exercises like near and distant viewing, palming, Surya Namaskar, pranayam, etc. to keep your eyes in good condition. Regular practice will strengthen your eye muscles and keep them from weakening or falling prey to viral and bacterial infections easily.
- Pollution: Try to protect your eyes from pollution as best as possible. Sunglasses and eye covers are considered highly effective if you have to move out on a daily basis. Also, wash your eyes with cold water whenever you return home.
- Medicinal Kohl: Kohl or kajal is recommended for healthy eyes. Neem based or cow ghee based kajal can keep your eyes detoxified even under polluted environments. If you don’t like to use kohl on outings, you can always apply some before going to bed and clean it in morning.
Ayurveda works on the principle of uniting our soul and body with mother nature. It is chosen voer the conventional medicines by thousands for its chemical free approach and ability to heal problems permanently. The rectification process used in this branch of medicine extends beyond the usage of medicines as they improve the overall diet and routine of an individual. This results in permanent rectification of problem along with overall wellbeing. For more questions and queries regarding Ayurvedic treatments for eyesight, feel free to get in touch with our team.