Age-Related Macular Degeneration Treatment
Ayurveda advocates certain therapies and practices in order to get rid of age related macular degeneration. Some of the methods for age related macular degeneration treatment:
- Virechana (Therapeutic Purgation) – One of the best method for amd treatment in ayurveda is virechana, which is done with the administration of medicines after internal and external oleation. This helps in removing toxins from the body and bring equilibrium of the doshas especially Pitta.
- Nasya (Nasal Medication) – It is a procedure in which medicated oil, or fresh juice of herbs, is instilled inside the nostrils after oleation and fomentation of the face and neck. Anu oil is commonly used for Nasya.
- Netra Dhara (Eyewash) – The age related macular degeneration treatment also includes netra dhara. The procedure of pouring thin streams of herbal fluids over the closed eye from a height of 4 finger breath is Netra Dhara. This procedure is carried out during the day.
- Bidalaka or Lepa (Application of Herbal Paste) – Simple application of herbal paste on the skin surface of the eyelids, is called Bidalaka or Lepa. It can be done with a paste of Lodhra (Symplocos racemosa), Nimba/neem (Azadirachta indica), Shigru (Moringa olifera), Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Eranda (Riccinus communis) depending upon the doshas vitiated.
- Netra Tarpana (Eye Rejuvenation) – This age related macular degeneration treatment includes the warm medicated ghee which is then poured into the eyes and retained inside an herbal paste boundary. Ghee is cool, hence helps mitigate Vata and Pitta doshas.
- Shiro Lepa/Tala Dharana (Application of Herbal Pastes on the Vertex) – Common herbal paste used are Amalaki (Emblica Officinalis), Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna), Kachoradi churna is applied on the vertex of the eye according to the type of disorder.
- Taila Shirodhara (for Dry AMD) – In this process lukewarm medicated oil (Sesame oil medicated with herbs like Brahmi, Shankhapushpi, Yashtimadhu, Chandana, etc.) is poured over the forehead in a rhythmic manner from a perforated pot suspended above forehead.
- Takradhara (for Wet AMD) – The age related macular degeneration treatment Takradhara also. In this therapy, lukewarm medicated buttermilk (medicated with Amalaki and other herbs) is poured over the forehead in a rhythmic manner just like in Shirodhara.
Get the best amd treatment in ayurveda from Prakash Nethralaya.
Home Remedies for AMD
- Vitamin A should be included more in your diet. Eat fruits and vegetables that have a deep orange or yellow colors such as carrots, winter squash, sweet potatoes, pumpkins, apricots, peaches, cantaloupe, oranges, papayas, and mangoes.
- Non-vegetarian foods, like eggs, liver, and fish are also good for eye health.
- Green leafy vegetables- kale, beet greens, Swiss chard, coriander, spinach, mustard, and collard greens, help to improve the vision.
- Include antioxidants like lemon and berries in your diet.
- Triphala, an ayurvedic medication is extremely beneficial for eyes.
- Rub your eyes for 30 minutes gently in a regular interval of time in order to relax them.
- Avoid sitting near the TV and computer for a longer period of time.
Preventions and Lifestyle Changes for AMD
- Splash plain water in the eyes every hour.
- Avoid watching television, using the computer or reading continuously for long periods of time.
- Avoid improper postures while using the computer, watching TV or reading.
- Avoid straining the eyes to read small letters.
- Go to sleep by 10 pm. Get a sound sleep of 7 hours.
- Palming is an excellent way to give the eyes some rest when they are over-strained
- Placing cooling cotton pads dipped in rose water, aloe vera, cilantro, or cucumber juices over the eyes is beneficial.
- The application of sandalwood powder and water on the forehead can soothe eye strain.
- Avoid smoking and exercise regularly